Why

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is the TV the focal point in so many houses?

I was a TV freak in a former life but in the last few years I've rarely watched it save for a few programmes a month.

It amazes me that in so many houses I've been in everything in the lounge is centred around the TV making it the main focal point. Why? surely it is not that important?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Indeed it is, my friend. I think it's due to the necessity of needing a seat while watching a show or movie. Now TV owners are obsessed with hiding their screens behind faux art or recessing them into the walls. I don't understand why people hang them above the fireplace mantel. Heat and electronics don't mix.

<gripe over>

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol I know what you mean.

I own two tv's ones hooked up to an xbox360 the other cable... I don't watch either. In fact I haven't watched tv in over a year.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol I know what you mean.

I own two tv's ones hooked up to an xbox360 the other cable... I don't watch either. In fact I haven't watched tv in over a year.

We own Two. One rather large one in the lounge where we rarely sit and one in the bedroom which is used for watching DVDs only :wink:

We are lucky in having a large outside space off the lounge where we sit most evenings. If there is something on we want to watch we have to go inside to watch it. Our main relaxing/chilling area does not have a TV.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was a TV freak in a former life

It amazes me that in so many houses I've been in everything in the lounge is centred around the TV making it the main focal point. Why? surely it is not that important?

There seems to be an answer to your question in your own experience.

No?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was a TV freak in a former life but in the last few years I've rarely watched it save for a few programmes a month.

Well I guess I could say that it's because, I was a child in the 1970's and the television was often my babysitter. :smile: Or maybe it's because my dad is now addicted to CNN and the weather channel, while mom prefers the CBS soaps and Lifetime. Me? I will watch any schlocky program there is.

However, I think it goes back to the genesis of television. They used to be huge monoloiths that took up a 3'x4' space in the living room. It was put there because the whole family could watch. Early televisions were expensive, so most households only had one.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Indeed it is, my friend. I think it's due to the necessity of needing a seat while watching a show or movie. Now TV owners are obsessed with hiding their screens behind faux art or recessing them into the walls. I don't understand why people hang them above the fireplace mantel. Heat and electronics don't mix.

<gripe over>

Rebelling against the TV was part of my overall adolescent rebellion. I stopped watching it altogether by the time I was 16, and didn't/wouldn't have one in my home until a new-at-the-time lover insisted in 1985 when I was 25. When we broke up I bought a giant one and a VCR: I never bothered with cable but would rent movies almost every night I wasn't planning on going out.

When I began designing and selling custom furniture in the mid-90s, the single most frequently requested item was a cabinet to hide the TV, complete with those retched, problematic and expensive slide-in "pocket doors". I never understood the logic behind spending thousands of dollars on the latest electronic equipment only to spend thousands more (and wait for many months) for a cabinet to make them all disappear!

But as this was the source of my income, I obliged them nicely :cool:

The holy grail of TV armoires was a corner unit, which everyone came in asking for but which no one would actually order because the cabinet would have to be monstrous to accommodate the enormous TVs everyone had. I even had measured drawings prepared in advance and put into a book to show how impractical, bulky and (occasionally) impossible such a request would actually be to have made. In the end, they'd "settle" for a beautiful, custom-made solid cherry library wall made up of multiple sections that bolted together rather like really exquisite kitchen cabinets.

My last job in the furniture industry was selling more commercially-manufactured stuff in what was called "European Contemporary" style, though most of it was made in Asia. By that time (2005), flat-screens were just becoming popular, but were still so expensive that people wanted to show them off, and racks were suddenly popular again after more than twenty years, along with sideboards; we'd stuff empty jewel cases in the cutlery drawers to show how they'd fit nicely.

When the Trinitron that I'd bought in 2000 finally died about a year and a half ago, I never bothered replacing it. I now watch everything I need to watch on my flat-screen computer monitor.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It became a companion for many over the years, in much the same way radio did and still is. The sound of a voice or a flickering image can offer a moment of comfort to a person who tends to isolate. For others, as stated earlier, it works double duty as a babysitter during the day and a newscenter/entertainment complex at night.

Over the years, none of my sets have been particularly focal points, staying off in the corner or in a bedroom. The largest screen was a 20inch and my current one is 15-although it is hooked up to cable and the HD box-I have basic, which is more than enough channels, and is more than $30.00 less monthly than if I threw in 'standard'. Often times, it's on and muted, both then and when the sound is on, I usually am doing something else.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most people have one in the living room, unless they have a family room. In that case they never use their living room, and make the TV the focal point of the family room.

Friday and Saturday nights in prime time there is nothing remotely interesting to watch. I find myself watching mostly reality shows. Top chef, Survivor, Amazing Race and Project Runway.

I have not watched Sitcoms for many years. The only half hour shows I watch is Family guy and the Simpsons. The only scripted show I watch is Heroes.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Are you questioning the importance attached to the very existence of a television in a home or the importance of where the set is physically located?

The former is more of what dismays me: I encounter so many friends and family who appear to be utterly addicted to the things. Sad really. So much of their lives seem to be lived through TV and not lived through themselves.

I grew up watching a lot of TV as a kid but I eventually eschewed it when I came to the age where I needed to get serious about my academic studies. I've never looked back since. I mourn the number of lost conversations and otherwise gratifying interactions I've had with other people that were interrupted by the sudden intrusion of coarse and vulgar pop culture blared into living rooms, kitches, bedrooms, pubs, waiting rooms or wherever.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I believe chairs used to be placed to face each other (children sat on the floor) by the fireplace, when tv was introduced it became necessary to turn the chairs to save from neck strain. In homes without tv sets, the chairs or sofa faces the fireplace or each other or the main window or perhaps even a fishtank because people generally like to have something to at least look at if they have nothing to do whilst they sit.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i honestly could live without a tv and i wouldn't be sad if i didn't have one. plus, now that full episodes of conan o'brien are on NBC's website i can just watch it there instead of waiting til 11:35pm every weeknight!

however, not everyone is like me, and i believe most people make the tv set the focal point of whichever room its in because it's what connects the home to the outside world. i see it as a communication tool and a way to escape but still be at home. but most importantly... it's just a huge distraction and an excuse to sit and be lazy.

why stay home and watch tv when you can be outside doing something better, like getting exercise, instead of sitting and doing nothing?

i also believe a lot of people use the tv to babysit their kids so they can do other things around the house, which isn't the best idea. everyone should know too much tv will rot your brains and kill your vision.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are you questioning the importance attached to the very existence of a television in a home or the importance of where the set is physically located?

Both I suppose. :cool:

I grew up remembering when we only had two channels and the excitement when colour TV first arrived.

The TV set then was pretty innocuous. If you visited someone or they you the TV was immediately turned off. The TV was only switched on to watch something specific and turned off afterwards. Now they seem to be performing dy and night whether being watched or not.

I also blame the TV for brainwashing people. People buy stuff they don't need, cannot afford nor want as they are conditioned by TV advertising to think they have to have whatever.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The TV set then was pretty innocuous. If you visited someone or they you the TV was immediately turned off. The TV was only switched on to watch something specific and turned off afterwards. Now they seem to be performing dy and night whether being watched or not.

That's what I mean when I said I was disappointed at so many lost conversations.

I also blame the TV for brainwashing people. People buy stuff they don't need, cannot afford nor want as they are conditioned by TV advertising to think they have to have whatever.

And that's what I meant when I mentioned I was offended by intrusions of coarse consumer culture.

Both I suppose. :cool:

I grew up remembering when we only had two channels and the excitement when colour TV first arrived.

"And now on BBC1 we have a preview of coming attractions on BBC2. On BBC2, we have a preview of coming attractions on BBC1."

It used to be we sat by the fireplace because the fireplace was where people sat to talk. That was the entertainment of the time. Now we talk in the kitchen and watch TV in the living room because TV is the entertainment. We even entertain people by inviting them to our homes to watch our TV with us. With central heating, the need for fireplaces has disappeared and they are only used on occasion; usually while entertaining.

I grew-up a TV addict because of the remoteness of my home. It became dull when I was a teen when I largely gave it up. When cable came around I found some high-quality programming and have since largely confined myself to that. Usually there's something worthwhile on but not always. By default I usually watch movies.

Media
My family has always had a television in our home. We were poor so it provided us with some entertainment and a means of escape.

TV shows kept me connected to the outside world, growing up in a small town you take your breaks where you can. I read a lot as well, even so, being an artist I have always leaned more towards the visual stimulation that tv offered.

I make the plasma TV in the livingroom look really cool with a unit purchased from IKEA. My apartment is a nice size, so I try to strike a balance between the furniture and the 52" plasma.

In my bedroom I have a 37" flat panel, my computer is hooked up to it as well. So I sit in the comfort of my bed and browse the net remotely. I converted my closet to a media/closet space, I have a dresser, tv, clothing, computer and some storage in there. I made every effort to make it visually appealing because I am the one who has to live with it.