Wide urethra?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by garyfranklin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. garyfranklin

garyfranklin New Member

This is sort of medical/nursing question...I am a critical care nurse and had to put a foley catheter in a conscious male patient last night who had to lay flat. Foleys are standard size, 16 french for adult males. Anyway my patient had a very thick penis, and when I passed the catheter it was "loose" (side to side), like the guy had a very big urethra, and urine was coming out around the catheter as well as thru it. I know the catheter was in place. I waited and it kept draining that way, so then just pulled it. He had never had a foley before so he didn't know if this was normal for him. Rather than try to hunt down another size, I just had him use a urinal (lying down is tough for most men).
    I've never had this happen in my years of experience...any physicians, or nurses care to comment? Or members with a wide urethra?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm a nurse........if the patient was conscious and able to urinate by himself, what was the medical necessity to insert a foley catheter????

3. garyfranklin

garyfranklin New Member

STEMI patient, post cardiac cath, had to lie flat for a minimum of six hours; we have standing orders to place a foley if the patient can't void laying flat. we have to measure output hourly to ensure the contrast dye clears the patient's system.

4. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not a nurse, but I don't think it would be unprofessional or unethical to comment to the patient that his urethra is wider than the average. It might have given him a cue to talk about it. It could just be that he was built that way, but it could be that he uses sounds. I know it's an unusual 'hobby', but there are a good few guys out there who like playing with sounds. For the uninitiated, sounds are smooth shiny metal probes that can be used to stretch the urethra.

5. bigmuscle12

bigmuscle12 New Member

Whatever happened to doctor patient confidenciality?

6. danjs584

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If there's no way of identifying who the patient is by the information disclosed, it's not a breach of confidenciality.

Draft saved Draft deleted