Wife Beater Tee

salter

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Oddly, I often wear a wife-beater in the cold. It's a thin extra layer but it makes a big difference. I also only wear wife beaters when I wear dress clothes. I think you can see the line of a t-shirt, even a v-neck under a dress shirt. A wife beater usually doesn't show

Guill

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
As far as wearing one as an undershirt the only benefit i can see is If you wear a white shirt so your nipples don't show though. The only time I wear them is for yoga...they are tight enough that they stay down rather than a tshirt that comes untucked and ends up around my head in inverted poses.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love to see men of colour wearing them. I love the contrast of white fabric on dark skin. Especially when coupled with snug white briefs/boxers. Mmmmm!

The only thing I don't like about them is the name. "Wife Beater" is such a horrible, horrible name - I prefer to call them vests or singlets.

D_Terry_Tugnuts

Account Disabled
Media
Er... sorry, being a Brit I have no idea what a 'wife beater' is, could someone please explain?

Over here strong lager beer is known as wife beater, for obvious and unpleasant reasons.

Freeballeruk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Er... sorry, being a Brit I have no idea what a 'wife beater' is, could someone please explain?

Over here strong lager beer is known as wife beater, for obvious and unpleasant reasons.

it's a vest top, goes well with a can of stella or special brew, shaved head and a beer gut,
last summer coloured ones were very much in fashion for younger guys but usually a wife beater is white,
attached pic shows one .

Attachments

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Men in the hot countries of the Mediterranean wear them under their dress shirts or work t-shirts year round. In the summer a snug fitting wife beater keeps the sweat from soaking your outer shirt. I wear one too and it is more comfortable in the humid heat than a single shirt.

Plus my Austrian gf likes them.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
Advantages:
1. You can wear an open-collar button down and the neck of your undershirt doesn't show...

2. When wearing a long-sleeved shirt, you don't see the half sleeve from a crew neck tee...

3. Gives clean lines in dress shirts... :smile:

I like them for undershirts in men... but not just to wear around the house. That's my role :wink:

1Cody

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
This is the only tee I wear, anyone know where the name came from? I just started hearing that name a couple of years ago. There is a similar tee they call a man beater. The only difference is that the fabric is straight at the top in both the front and back with more of thin strapy look.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
This is the only tee I wear, anyone know where the name came from? I just started hearing that name a couple of years ago. There is a similar tee they call a man beater. The only difference is that the fabric is straight at the top in both the front and back with more of thin strapy look.

here are a few ideas of where it might come from: (I think the first answer is the best IMO)

What is the origin of the term "wife beater shirt"?

tanstaafl16

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

The name originated as many men were wearing them when engaged in domestic violence

sgtrock

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First of all we need to clarify the definition of a Wife Beater in the first place. It is a basic White Tank Style T-Shirt. Being of Italian American decent I also am very aware of the stereotype associated with wearing them. If you know anything about growing up Italian, getting dressed up is part of our lives with funerals, weddings, baptisms, first communions, confirmation you get the point. We always wore them under our dress clothes and I also did so in my Dress Blues in the Marines. They do not show lines like a T-Shirt does.

However I wear Tank Tops not Wife Beaters to the gym, beach etc but these are different than Wife Beaters.

http://www.lpsg.org/members/sgtrock/albums/lets+get+to+it/2806-how-fast-can-you-take.jpg

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Advantages:
1. You can wear an open-collar button down and the neck of your undershirt doesn't show...

2. When wearing a long-sleeved shirt, you don't see the half sleeve from a crew neck tee...

3. Gives clean lines in dress shirts... :smile:
4. Without a shirt, a man with a decent build looks better in one of them than in a "T" undershirt (photo).
I like them for undershirts in men... but not just to wear around the house. That's my role :wink:
Your role is to be worn around the house? :eek: