Will be getting oral surgery soon

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Good Point.
Id get a second opinion, unless you dont have any insurance...then it probably is the cheapest route.
Smart idea. Think how many mouth care products you could buy for the price of having all your teeth ripped out by the roots and (most likely) ready made plastic dentures fitted to your mouth.

Get an Oral B/Bosch Triumph rechargeable toothbrush and start taking care of your mouth. Check Oral irrigators | Oral Breeze for a simple and inexpensive device to wash bacteria out of your gums when you shower. If you lower the bacteria load in your mouth (just like you would wash a wound with soap and water), your tooth decay will become a thing of the past. You'll still have to get the teeth you've got filled, but you be able to chew with them for years.

You're a decent looking guy. You take care of your appearance. Start putting in some effort to keep your teeth.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I had this done to my lower jaw and it wasn't so bad. The only pain I ever had was a raw aching in my throat from the breathing tube at the hospital. The worst part was no solid foods for months. I was pitiful, going into the refrigerator to longingly smell things I couldn't eat.

It's not so bad, I once liquified an entire english roast dinner (beef, potatoes, yorkshire puds, carrots, peas, gravy, stuffing) Came out as droppy brown sludge, but holy crap it tasted good, a little of every flavour in each mouthful :tongue:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
It's not so bad, I once liquified an entire english roast dinner (beef, potatoes, yorkshire puds, carrots, peas, gravy, stuffing) Came out as droppy brown sludge, but holy crap it tasted good, a little of every flavour in each mouthful :tongue:
Ew and Ew again... not happening... not eating real blended food... unless its chicken fingers... and plum sauce... oh yummy.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A friend had her jaws surgically re-aligned due to a serious alignment problem / underbite that was causing a lot of problems. Surgery went very well. Wires installed. Jaws shut.

She was still pretty groggy near the beginning of her recovery. She had a problem post-operatively because the hospital dietician allowed some daft combination of liquid foods that unfortunately reacted when together, and either coagulated into milk curds, or solidified to some extent in her mouth. She almost asphixiated because she couldn't expectorate and the vile mixture was causing her nausea.

Luckily, her sister was right there to immediately summon help, and they dealt with the problem. It could have been quite dangerous.

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi Wally,

More than likely you do not need all of your teeth pulled. If they are still in your head you can generally keep them. I was having some gum recession and pocketing that I have pretty much reversed by brushing morning and night.

You sure want to keep as many of your teeth in your head as you can at age 26. I have a few new tricks that I figured out. I'd do anything to keep my teeth as long as possible. If you don't want to take care of your mouth, oh well, pull them out. Somehow I don't think wearing dentures for the next 50 years is going to be any easier than starting now to take care of your mouth.

Extraction is the absolute last resort. How much you paying this guy?!
all of my teeth have to be pulled none are worth saving... it will be around $5,000

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm scared as well, but we have to remember that the doctors wouldn't do it to us, if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, right. Don't think just because a doctor (or dentist) told you something that it's the right thing to do. No one knows your body like you do. Manage your own oral care for fuck's sake.

all of my teeth have to be pulled none are worth saving.
Every tooth in your head is already dead??

OraMedia Site for Dental Self Sufficiency;Beat gum disease, Periodontal Disease, Learn Preventive Dentistry, Better Oral Health and Fitness.

For five grand you can buy a lot of dental work and a lot of oral cleaning devices. Does a white collar make you assume the position? You're going to get all your teeth extracted and pay him or her $5000 for the pleasure?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, right. Don't think just because a doctor (or dentist) told you something that it's the right thing to do. No one knows your body like you do. Manage your own oral care for fuck's sake.
ok
a) FUCK YOU
b) I want you to make a decision about a 9mm overbite, caused by bad genetics...
c) fuck you again...

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Best wishes to both of you NW and TK.

I didn't mean to lower the mood, I just had my friend's experience to share as something you would not expect, but health care professionals can be asleep at the wheel in rare cases. Her recovery was very smooth after that and her already good looks were magnified to beauty because she was so happy with the result. Her unabashed smile could light up any room.:smile:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone who's having an op should decline the offer of a pre-med, it's this that keeps you groggy for hours after coming out of the anaesthetic, in the UK they're no longer offered routinely unless the patient is nervous or asks for them, don't know what the position is in the USA. There used to be an old wife's tale that if you didn't have the pre-med the anaesthetic didn't 'take' properly.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
ok
a) FUCK YOU
b) I want you to make a decision about a 9mm overbite, caused by bad genetics...
c) fuck you again...
O.K. Less than a centimeter. Do what you want. Have you tried braces or a bite plate?

I personally know a guy who had oral facial surgery to supposedly correct a problem with his facial geometry that makes his speech a little bit muffled - his jaw is too long or some such. As near as I could tell after all the blood, fuss and $$$ he looks and sounds the same as before.

An old adage I didn't coin - When they say it's not the money, It's The Money!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
O.K. Less than a centimeter. Do what you want. Have you tried braces or a bite plate?

I personally know a guy who had oral facial surgery to supposedly correct a problem with his facial geometry that makes his speech a little bit muffled - his jaw is too long or some such. As near as I could tell after all the blood, fuss and $$$ he looks and sounds the same as before.

An old adage I didn't coin - When they say it's not the money, It's The Money!
OK
a) you've never seen my face from the side, there is cause for you to shut your mouth right away.
b) it's big enough it cannot be corrected with braces alone
c) when this ordeal started I had a 5-6mm overbite, now it is 9mm and going up...
so smartass, I don't give a shit about someone who had their face operated on for a speach problem... I can't breath properly, and I get headaches all the time, my septum is all messed up, and your telling me it's all about the money.. shut up.. you clearly have no clue what your talking about...
Besides it's only $15,000... it would probably cost me double that in the states...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You'll be fine.... my brother went thru the same thing when he was 20 years old. Had to have all of his teeth removed... then they removed the bone from his gums and reshaped it for whatever reason, then he got fitted for dentures. Recovery isn't easy, lots of drugs, I remember my brother sitting in the living room, half asleep, with a mouth shoved full of gauze. But recovery is also short, so you should do great! Don't worry about it.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My jaw was so mis-aligned I couldnt bite anything.

No hot dogs
no burgers
no apples
no turkey sandwiches...

nada..

My savior was Myoplex by EAS.
It gave me the vitamins and minerals I needed to keep going.
When your wired shut, all you can do is fit a straw to the back where your wisdom teeth used to be, and suck...suck...suck... (insert clip from spaceballs).

Sometimes the teeth are too far gone, and the only option is to pull them.
Im no dentist, but I would imagine if they become infected, it could cause some serious illnesses, and upset stomachs from all the drainage.

Pirate Wench

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OMG !!

Best of luck and quick recoveries NakedWally and Think_Kink on your upcoming surgeries.

NakedWally, I would also suggest a 2nd opinion if that's possible.

Think_Kink - when the cable channel TLC used to have all these operations on tv, one of them was jaw reconstruction and what you described sounds exactly like what I watched......
It was so amazing I bought the tape.

The girl was late teens I think and the difference a month or two later was huge.......and she was very happy she did it.

It pales in comparison, but when I told people I was having impacted (under gum surface) wisdom teeth pulled, EVERYBODY had to tell me either their horror story or someone else's.
I knew surgeries like that were like pregnancies....no two alike and I didn't dwell on anyone else's bad experience.
It helped that I liked my dentist and felt very comfortable with him.....

And I had no problems......he just deadened my mouth and started.
I didn't need Valium or anything cause I was at ease with my dentist.
Went home a few hours later after doing one side.....went back 3 weeks later for the other side....my decision when to go back.

Don't let the bad experiences you hear or read about stay in your head !
That doesn't mean it will happen to you !

And Spoiled Princess makes a good point with the pre-meds.....but here in the states you may have a hard time canceling that if you're going to be under with general anesthesia.
But I agree......I'd want to skip it if it would make me more groggy afterward.

Again....you both will be in my thoughts.....
And I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.