Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The relevant part, the entire article in the link:

Iraqi leaders have failed to take advantage of a reduction in violence to make adequate progress toward resolving their political differences, Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said Thursday.
Petraeus, who is preparing to testify to Congress next month on the Iraq war, said in an interview that "no one" in the U.S. and Iraqi governments "feels that there has been sufficient progress by any means in the area of national reconciliation," or in the provision of basic public services.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fire Petraeus in favor of who else?
It isn't that Iraqi people cannot get together -- in fact they have come together, but largely aligned by ethnic group rather than nationality.

Can't think of anything that can be done from the outside to bring them together into a shared identity that places nation above tribe, religious beliefs, ethnic group, etc., except maybe time.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The relevant part, the entire article in the link:

Iraqi leaders have failed to take advantage of a reduction in violence to make adequate progress toward resolving their political differences, Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said Thursday.
Petraeus, who is preparing to testify to Congress next month on the Iraq war, said in an interview that "no one" in the U.S. and Iraqi governments "feels that there has been sufficient progress by any means in the area of national reconciliation," or in the provision of basic public services.
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

The article is no longer on the front page and requires registration to view. Here's another link to an extract.

Insufficient progress

Isn't the military role 'merely' to provide a measure of stability upon which the Iraqi and US Governments are expected to capitalise, not to do so itself?

If the two Governments have failed to do that, on what grounds should Bush fire a General who provided them with that window - for telling the truth and exposing their incompetence for failing to fully utilise the opportunity he gave them?

Besides, what about Crocker, if heads are to roll, he's surely ahead of Petraeus in the line up, isn't he? Or is there anger at Petraeus because he's seen (by some) as major factor in Fallon's resignation?

Or are you simply a MacGregor fan?

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
G.W.Bush will probably give him a medal and say "We're winning the war. Well done."

The truth of the matter is discussed further here::rolleyes:

The Myth of the Surge : Rolling Stone

Probably, but anyone they bring will likely experience the same issue. I read an article where someone recommended bringing in Eagleburger to assist in the region and I was thinking, can we stop with the 20th century comebacks already?

Thanks for the link.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
G.W.Bush will probably give him a medal and say "We're winning the war. Well done."
The truth of the matter is discussed further here::rolleyes:
The Myth of the Surge : Rolling Stone

Fascinating article.
I note this assertion: Under Saddam, both the ruling Baath Party and the Iraqi army were majority Shiite.
If true, it's surprising.
The article suggests that there was little bad blood between Sunni and Shiite before the American invasion.
That runs counter to everything I believe I'd read.
I wonder what truth there is in it.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Besides, what about Crocker, if heads are to roll, he's surely ahead of Petraeus in the line up, isn't he? Or is there anger at Petraeus because he's seen (by some) as major factor in Fallon's resignation?

Its a good point.

Why isn't Petraeus leaving the political analysis to Crocker and sticking to the military issues?