Will generations always have opposite underwear trends?

mthomson2020

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Seems like my dad's generation, as a whole, wears briefs

My generation wears boxers (some have jumped on the boxerbriefs train)

The up and coming generation pretty much all wears boxerbriefs

Do yall think this will always be the case? will fashion trends always just keep changing or is it just sort of a "let's be different than our parents" kind of thing?

Have yall noticed this trend?

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I do think that fashion trends will change with each generation, but generally trends in general will change with time. There's always going to be "last years style" and the fashion industry is going to try to come up with something new and hip all the time.

As for underwear... I wore briefs as a kid, was interested in boxer briefs as a teen but saw most other guys wearing boxers so I tried that out - wasn't really a fan, but it was what I wore for a few years.

The past several years, I've been wearing boxer briefs, but as I lost weight in the past few months it felt like I was wearing boxers again! So I had to buy some nds underwear and went for trunks recently and I love it. I prefer the square cut look to boxer briefs.

Who knows what will happen. Ultimately its down to personal preference (and in the case of underwear, personal comfort) but time will tell!

D

deleted3782

On top of generational trends, different ethnic groups, socio-economic levels, and nationalities have their own preferences in underwear. I will be curious to see if these groups trade off underwear types...and what trends there will be in the future in underwear style.

ck85x65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suggest it might be generational, with a cyclical factor thrown in. Showing my age here, but when I entered Grade 7 (11-12 year old classmates) phys ed, and had to change / shower for the first time, absolutely NO ONE wore boxers. they were considered the kind of underwear your grandfather would wear, and no one else. EVERYONE in the changeroom wore briefs, usually white standard briefs, typically bought by your mother, and usually a size or two so you could "grow into them". Almost unbearably ugly, loosefitting, and if you had reached the start of puberty, damned annoying, because the material allowed your equipment to flop all over the place. About two weeks into the year, a new guy arrived at our school from Europe, wearing brightly coloured microbikini briefs. Showed off his body, looked great, masculine and HOT, and well, that was the end of the plain white briefs for most of the guys in my phys ed class. Looking back, it was almost like there was an unofficial contest to find the tightest, tinyest bikini briefs you could stuff yourself into. Then came the BULGE aspect, with each guy carefully arranging his equipment to show the most obvious bulge, with nothing left to the imagination. I was fascinated by all of this, because it didn't seem to matter if the bulge showed a small cock and nonexistent testicles, or a good sized cock and balls (for those further along in puberty). The goal was to be as obvious, and as large as possible, which carried over into the skintight jeans that were in fashion at the time. Most of us would be stuffing semi's into our bikinis, stretching the elastics all to hell. And this was back before guys got so selfconscious ... there were plenty of comments and compliments, often asking where the wearer got those "really cool bikinis". Tighter the better, tinier the better. my memories of this time are etched into my skull. this continue throughout middle and high school into university days, when you could see every body type wearing the most miniscule bikinis imaginable. Nowadays, its boxers or boxerbriefs, usually worn extremely low on the hips, to showoff the fact that the wearer trims or shaves his pubes.

D

deleted300444

I think I once heard " the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Except me, tighty whities forever.

Boxer briefs are fine.

Boxers, make you like you are wearing a picnic table cloth.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Seems like my dad's generation, as a whole, wears briefs

My generation wears boxers (some have jumped on the boxerbriefs train)

The up and coming generation pretty much all wears boxerbriefs

Do yall think this will always be the case? will fashion trends always just keep changing or is it just sort of a "let's be different than our parents" kind of thing?

Have yall noticed this trend?

Commando FTW!

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I like having all styles: briefs, (colored and white) boxers, boxer briefs, trunks, athletic stretch shorts, jockstraps, and yeah, even a couple thongs. Maybe I'm just lucky to have an "off the rack" body (conventional hwp body) therefore I'm able to wear all kinds without really complaining about anything.

I wear a different style nearly every day- and sometimes I don't remember during the day what type and brand of underwear I'm wearing- that makes it fun! Usually they all hit the floor when it's time to crawl under the blankets anyways!

ghodges85

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I find mthompson2020's comment very true. My dad wears briefs for the most part, and I did too for awhile. In Jr. high, I bought a couple pairs of boxers. Initially, I found then uncomfortable, but wore them for awhile. Now I wear boxer-briefs, finding them as a good in-between.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know about underwear, but I was shocked to see what I call "white-wall" tennis shoes come back. They went out of style among kids at some point in the 1970s and I didn't think they were ever coming back.

Attachments

Tovidious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm middle aged and think there are generational differances, but as with anything in life, they are not set in stone.

My dad's generation, in North America at least, wore boxers and I remember as teens my friends and I thought it was weird how 'old' guys wore boxers while we, the 'young' generation, wore briefs. I have watched, with amusement, how younger guys in the generation after me made fun of my generation, the now 'old' guys, for wearing briefs, while they, the 'young' guys wore the cool boxers, totally unaware that they were worn by 'really old' guys before us 'old' guys.

I have gone from briefs to colored bikini briefs to commando to white briefs again and now to commando or boxer briefs that I discovered in the UK, but could never bring myself to wear boxers because my dad's generation wore them as well as finding them uncomfortable with constantly falling out of them.

While there are always exceptions to generalizations, I do think there is a trend that can be noted, although I claim no expertise in the subject. lol

mthomson2020

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
ya i followed the peer pressurea nd switched from briefs to boxers in middle school

i know 1 person who has never made the switch from briefs that is my age. ONE TOTAL

now boxerbriefs are acceptable but still id say most guys (70%) are boxers only guys. some boxerbriefs.

im a boxerbriefs guy myself, but will wear briefs and boxrrs on occassion. mix it up

but my dads generation has held steadfast with briefs. and both my grandfathers are boxer guys

cycles!!!

B_debonair87

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i haven't owned a pair of briefs since i was like 12 or 13

since my teens i have been rocking boxers and boxerbriefs. it was like 4 years ago i started getting into trunks.

as soon as puberty hit and "things" started to grow, briefs became very uncomfortable.

ScotRandom

Cherished Member
Media
A Galaxy Far Far Away, LPSG, KIK & Fab Swingers. A
Sexuality
No Response
I'm having a good chuckle at this wondering why folk old enough to think & purchase for themselves are bothering following trends for. Just buy what they feel comfortable in, look good in or want to buy for themselves. Now THAT'S a generational thing when deciding what you want & not what some Marketing Exec tries to brainwash you into. Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScotRandom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Boxer briefs are fine.

Tho I'm kinda with you Albert - yo to the tighty whities (even tho my underwear drawer contains a huge variety of undies from white to coloured to boxers, trunks, briefs, bikini, even a few old thongs, & Lycra & cotton.
As long as they are quality.

ScotRandom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Boxer briefs are fine.

Tho I'm kinda with you Albert - yo to the tighty whities (even tho my underwear drawer contains a huge variety of undies from white to coloured to boxers, trunks, briefs, bikini, even a few old thongs, & Lycra & cotton.
As long as they are quality & your choice to wear em.

ScotRandom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like having all styles: briefs, (colored and white) boxers, boxer briefs, trunks, athletic stretch shorts, jockstraps, and yeah, even a couple thongs. Maybe I'm just lucky to have an "off the rack" body (conventional hwp body) therefore I'm able to wear all kinds without really complaining about anything.

I wear a different style nearly every day- and sometimes I don't remember during the day what type and brand of underwear I'm wearing- that makes it fun! Usually they all hit the floor when it's time to crawl under the blankets anyways!

Like this post too. Wear what you're comfortable in.
Don't think that bod is "off the rack" tho ;)

D_Alec_Baldtwins

Account Disabled
Media
Like all clothing, underwear is a part of popular culture. Here in the U.S., we've basically gotten to the point where anything long, loose, or sloppy-looking is masculine and straight, whereas anything short and tight is feminine or gay. That's why you see guys on the beach in billowy board shorts down to their calves, for all the sense that makes for a swimsuit. And the difference between pants and regular shorts is about 12" of fabric. We're ready for the Muslims to take over, though, lol, just gotta grow the beards.