Will there be a Republican and Democrat Presidental Nominee tommorow night?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by swordfishME, Feb 4, 2008.

1. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Do you think the Democratic and Republican nominee will emerge by tommorow night?

On the Republican side, I think McCain has a chance to wrap up the nomination tommorow night, depending on how many "party base" votes Huckabee steals from Romney.

On the Democratic side, the race is too close and I think the night will end with both Clinton and Obama coming short of enough delegates to secure the nomination.

2. Mandee

Gold Member

I really don't know, but I wish we had some new candidates... :(

3. Northland

Gold Member

It's highly unlikely that it would all be over tomorrow night (February 5,2008) as there are still several states which will not have had their primaries. The field may be narrowed-Ron Paul, Mike Gravel, Mike Huckabee may one or all see fit to step aside gracefully. Currently the delegate distribution towards Obama and Clinton is enough to keep either of them from withdrawing. The same is true for McCain and Romney. Tomorrow will most likely just distribute more delegates to each of the current front runners, which, would not give them discouragement or reason to step aside.

...and along the lines of what Mandee said, I wish we had some decent candidates. None of the current contenders has given me a particularly good feeling.

4. davec94

davec94 Member

The republican race will be over. The Democratic race will not. The republican race has a good portion of winner-takes-all delegates which makes their race winnable much quicker than the proportional representation Democratic race.

5. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. The proportional allocation of the Democratic delegates will keep both Obama and Clinton in the race. In addition, a significant portion of the delegates will not be taking side until months from now.

To make matters even more complex, there is early mail voting. In my state, I could cast my ballot today if I wanted to. I will wait until tomorrow night to see if we can see a trend emerge since I am still on the fence.

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I think there will be a clear republican candidate by the end of Super Tuesday but as for a democrat, thats anyone call.

7. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think the Republican nomination will be sewn up tomorrow. The Democratic one definitely won't be sewn up tomorrow.

Romney will have to pull off the biggest political comeback since... er, John McCain about 2 months ago. Expect Huckabee to drop out and endorse McCain later this week (freeing him up to take the #2 spot on the McCain ticket). Romney will continue to fight until it's no longer feasible for him to win.

The Democratic nominee won't be known for at least another month or two, possibly not even until the convention this summer.

8. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Huckabee endorsing McCain? Don't they represent 2 almost irreconcilable poles of the big GOP "tent"? What would Ann Coulter say?

9. dong20

Gold Member

Republicans - Yes
    Democrats - No

10. dong20

Gold Member

Close enough.:smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted