Will You Get A Flu Shot This Year?

Will You Get A Flu Shot This Year?

• Yes, I plan to get a flu shot.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No, I do not plan to get a flu shot.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I have already had my flu shot.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • I don't need a flu shot, I never get sick.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Never had a flu shot & never will. It's just the government practicing germ warfare on citizens.

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Consumer Reports Survey: Nearly Half of Adults Won't Get Flu Vaccine, Citing Poor Excuses Like 'I Don't Get Sick'

Last update: 1:37 p.m. EST Nov. 11, 2008

YONKERS, N.Y., Nov 11, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Cost of Vaccination is Minimal or Free and Best Option for Prevention; Yet 5% Would Rather Get Sick than Go to Work. Plus: Tips for Staying Healthy.

According to a new survey from Consumer Reports Health, just 52% of Americans plan to get the flu vaccine this year, despite its being the best option for prevention. The Consumer Reports Health survey uncovered a long list of poor excuses for not getting the vaccine, including 5% of people who say they would rather get sick than go to work. The vaccine is available for free for many (65% of those who have already been vaccinated reported no out-of-pocket expense for the vaccine), and at nominal cost for others, and requires very little time. For more information about the flu and ways to stay healthy, log on to www.ConsumerReportsHealth.org.

The survey was conducted in early October by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, right as the flu season was getting underway this fall. Flu season typically begins in late October and can run through early May. Sixty-seven percent said it was better to build your own natural immunities. "There is no evidence that people who get flu shots have lower natural immunities or that people who don't get flu shots have higher immunities," said John Santa, M.D., director of the Consumer Reports Health Ratings Center. Those surveyed cited the following other reasons for not getting the vaccine: They do not get sick (45%), they have themselves or know someone who has gotten sick from the vaccine (41%), or they believe the vaccine is ineffective (26%).

Other consumers not planning to get a flu vaccination said that they were worried about side effects (35%), medication is now available to treat the flu (28%), they don't like getting shots (27%), or they don't like going to the doctor (23%). And some (5%) even said that they'd rather get sick than go to work. "Sounds like a lot of excuses and misconceptions to avoid a quick and inexpensive, if not free, shot," said Dr. Santa.

The full survey results are available online at www.ConsumerReportsHealth.org.

Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that, in milder cases, can make people sick for several days, and at times can lead to death. Nearly all adults who responded to the Consumer Reports survey (83%) reported that they have had the flu. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 200,000 people are hospitalized each year from flu complications and about 36,000 people die from flu. Older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions are at high risk for serious flu complications.

"Despite the prevalence and potential seriousness of the flu, we found that many adults are surprisingly misinformed about both the flu and flu vaccination," said Dr. Santa. "People need to know that getting a flu vaccination every year is the best way to prevent the flu. The vaccine will not make them sick or give them the flu. Without it, they and their families are at higher risk for getting the flu. If they get the flu they may transmit it to vulnerable people for whom the consequences may be serious."

Fewer than half of those surveyed (49%) by Consumer Reports knew that the government recommends that everyone over 6 months old get vaccinated against the flu.

Dealing with the Flu Season
CR found that adults go to varying extremes to avoid getting sick during the cold or flu season. Most adults wash their hands more frequently (81%) and eat healthy (79%). Many also employ more extreme measures, such as using paper towels to open bathroom doors (42%), avoiding large crowds (29%), avoiding travel on planes, trains, or buses (23%), or even avoiding shaking hands (18%).

The survey results also showed that men are more likely than women to drag themselves to work while battling common illness. The symptoms that are much more likely to keep women home than men include fever, diarrhea, nausea, and severe cough.

"People really should stay home when they're sick," Dr. Santa said. "Not only is it important for them to rest and reduce their stress, but it's also important for them not to spread the disease at their workplaces."

Dr. Santa also noted that antiviral drugs can shorten the duration of flu symptoms. It's best for people to see their doctors because the most effective drugs are the newest ones, while the older drugs have lost their effectiveness due to resistance. Consumer Reports provides treatment ratings online at www.ConsumerReportsHealth.org.

What Else Can Consumers Do?
In addition to getting an annual flu shot, Consumer Reports recommends the following additional precautions to protect against flu:
-- Wash hands. That step, as well as using disinfectant wipes on telephone and computer keyboards, can prevent the transfer of viruses.
-- Avoid close contact with sick people. Help protect other people as well, by covering coughs and sneezes.
-- Get plenty of sleep. Eating well, exercising regularly, and reducing stress may also bolster immunity.
-- People who smoke should quit. Smokers are vulnerable to the flu and its complications.
-- Don't rely on herbs or supplements. None has proved to be effective at preventing the flu
-- not even popular products such as Echinacea, ginseng, or the homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum.

Log on to www.ConsumerReportsHealth.org to learn more about the flu and the flu vaccine.

CDC Influenza Vaccine Updates 2008-2009

Lord no. Only times I've ever gotten a flu shot I've gotten dreadfully ill.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had one for the first time last year and I guess it worked because I never got sick. :smile: I guess I should go get one again this year. Apparently my severe asthma makes me a high risk group.:redface:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Uh yeah!

I think you do need to go get one, NJQT. As we both know, if you do catch the FLU you could have a one way trip to the hospital. So dont even mess with that possibility. Besides, it isnt just for you. Because you live with another at risk group , Seniors you need to get it so it wont affect them as well. I know I have to get it for both reasons.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have at times gotten a flu shot and at times have not. As of today, my mind is not yet made up on the matter for this season.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you do need to go get one, NJQT. As we both know, if you do catch the FLU you could have a one way trip to the hospital. So dont even mess with that possibility. Besides, it isnt just for you. Because you live with another at risk group , Seniors you need to get it so it wont affect them as well. I know I have to get it for both reasons.
Darn it! You are right as usual Ms. Naughty. :tongue: Okay, I shall make an appt. and go get one post haste. :redface:

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
My immune system is lower than it should be but I can still only recall having the flu once. I've never had a flu shot and probably never will. (Not that that's uncommon for people my age.)
I'm not enough of an idiot to choose the last poll option though.

D

deleted3782

I haven't gotten a shot in years. I assume there are others in greater need than I am, plus I have an aversion to getting stabbed. My mom does though...even I have to hand carry her to the clinic kicking and screaming.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only times I ever had a flu shot was when I was in the military. Each time I had the flu shot, I got the flu.

So here is my reasoning:

I have a 50/50 chance of getting the flu if I don't get the flu shot.

I have a 100% chance of getting the flu if I do get the shot.

So I won't get the flu shot.

Ever.

Sklar

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Same here skylar, every time I get the shot I get something. One time I got a pain in my arm that lasted way longer then any flu ever did. I fully believe if your immune system cures you from an illness its left stronger after wards. Maybe one day during the flu you actually feel worse then having a cold which no one seems to do anything about.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm with Sklar on this one. Certainly the last time I checked, it's a live vaccine that gives you at least a mild dose of flu if you've previously been exposed to the strain used and at worst a full-blown case. It's often the strain from the previous year's flu, so if you weren't exposed to it then, you'll have little resitance to it and you've got a fairly good chance of a week in bed. I'd rather take my chances.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've had the vaccine for many years with no ill-effects and it has worked for me. I get coughs and colds but not the genuine flu.

At one company I worked for they provided free vaccinations. You were allowed to refuse, but you wouldn't get sick pay if you caught the flu.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I always get one. The one year I didn't I actually caught influenza and it was HELL! I was in bed for almost three weeks and it took months for the lung bunnies to clear from my lungs. Never again.

I'm curious as to how many 'Mericuhns who got a flu shot got one from a government-sponsored program (community nursing center or out-reach program that goes to pharmacies, schools, and super markets) or paid from $35 to $75 to their private physician. I got mine at the CVS Pharmacy in Elko for $5. And they even gave me two suckers (they know me there).

Last edited:

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always get the flu shot. The one year I didn't I got the flu so bad I spent a night in the bathtub because it was coming out both ends at the same time. Violently.

Never again.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I always get the flu shot. The one year I didn't I got the flu so bad I spent a night in the bathtub because it was coming out both ends at the same time. Violently.

Never again.

I had the flu about fifteen years ago and spent a couple of days wishing I was dead it was so bad but you got the shorter end of the stick with that story!

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got mine back in the beginning of October before I left for the US.

It didn't hurt and I completely forgot about it afterwards - no side effects at all!

That said... I went straight from the docs to the salon and got waxed (a 'landing strip', apparently). Now that hurt like fuck! :eek:

But at least it took my mind off my arm! :rolleyes: