Will you give one item to charity?

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
I read that it costs £5 ($10) to provide a child the vaccine against malaria, which could save a life. Yet we go shopping and happily spend more than that on something we will never use.

That is why I am asking everyone on here to give just one item to a charity shop, or a small amount of money to a charity fund, then post what you gave in this thread and get recognized...

Next time you are going to buy something which is not needed, put it back on the shelves and give the money to people who really need it.

I'll start - I'm going to give some clothes to a charity shop tomorrow.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I read that it costs £5 ($10) to provide a child the vaccine against malaria, which could save a life.
This is OT, but at the moment I think this is strictly a cost projection (and/or wishful thinking) on the part of some considering a viable vaccine for malaria is still under development and has been since 1999. There are some promising candidates, thankfully.

I agree with your sentiment though, dumbcow. :smile:

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
This is OT, but at the moment I think this is strictly a cost projection (and/or wishful thinking) on the part of some considering a viable vaccine for malaria is still under development and has been since 1999. There are some promising candidates, thankfully.

I agree with your sentiment though, dumbcow. :smile:

Thanks, VeeP

I suppose nobody is going to give anything to charity? Not even an old coat? Anyone?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm reasonably consistant in the way I do this kind of thing - I do it because I'm a 'have', not a 'have-not' and I neither need nor deserve recognition. That's why I didn't post earlier. I get the impression many people feel this way too.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i don't believe in just throwing stuff away because it no longer suits me. between every six months to a year, i donate all my old clothes, shoes, and other things i no longer use to salvation army or the goodwill foundation. currently i have a bag of old clothes sitting in my closet that's on it's way to be donated. even though it doesn't make a big difference to me, i know it'll make a big difference to someone else who is in need.

whenever my local grocery store is accepting donations, i always put down a few dollars here and there as well. once a year or so, i also do my best to donate to the american heart association too. i was born with congenital heart problems and i know that a few dollars out of my pocket is going to help fund and research a good cause.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Mr. Dumbcow (or is the Ms.?): I give regularly and often to many people and institutions -- directly. As should everyone else. There's a Blob charity in the USA that tap dances through the businesses of corporate 'Mericuh every year (at the moment, my hatred for them prevents me from remembering their name, but you all know who they are) and they try to make you: 1) feel guilty for not "giving" enough to your community and then 2) try to make you feel warm and fuzzy if you'll just authorize your company's payroll folks to rake some off the top of your income before your receive your check. Well, those folks use up about 25% of what they rake in to schill you into giving. Therefore, ALWAYS give directly to the home-based charity organization of your choice.

And for you churchy folk you who think your 10% tithe is doing the "good work" for you, fools live in a better reality.

I make a point of giving, among many other things, a single U$S100 check to be awarded to any C student at the local tiny high school near my ranch in Nevada who is accepted into a two-year or four-year community college/state university. The A students are getting their share. The principal of that particular high school knows that she has to give me a report on the student who receives that hundred bucks and what that student thinks they might be able to achieve. And they HAVE to be a C student. No B students or A students.

Although the stuff food stuff coupons in newspapers encourage you to buy are not the healthiest foods, you might as well use them to defray the cost of buying the stuff before you donate it to the local food bank.

Finally, never give until it hurts. Give until it just feels good. That way it's a lot easier to make it a life habit.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
I'm reasonably consistant in the way I do this kind of thing - I do it because I'm a 'have', not a 'have-not' and I neither need nor deserve recognition. That's why I didn't post earlier. I get the impression many people feel this way too.

:hug: I thought it would be nice to have a thread encouraging people to give to charity, since I know too many people that don't bother...

We donate all old clothes and appliances to Heart and Stroke or something... really crappy stuff gets used for paint rags.

:dance:

i don't believe in just throwing stuff away because it no longer suits me. between every six months to a year, i donate all my old clothes, shoes, and other things i no longer use to salvation army or the goodwill foundation. currently i have a bag of old clothes sitting in my closet that's on it's way to be donated. even though it doesn't make a big difference to me, i know it'll make a big difference to someone else who is in need.

whenever my local grocery store is accepting donations, i always put down a few dollars here and there as well. once a year or so, i also do my best to donate to the american heart association too. i was born with congenital heart problems and i know that a few dollars out of my pocket is going to help fund and research a good cause.

:kiss: Stacy, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I think it is great that you give clothes and money, especially to a charity that means something to you as a person. I also give to a charity which aims to help people with a condition I suffered from when I was a child...

I do a great deal of charity. I give stuff away and deposit old (but good) clothing at Goodwill.

:wave2: :hug:

Mr. Dumbcow (or is the Ms.?): I give regularly and often to many people and institutions -- directly. As should everyone else. There's a Blob charity in the USA that tap dances through the businesses of corporate 'Mericuh every year (at the moment, my hatred for them prevents me from remembering their name, but you all know who they are) and they try to make you: 1) feel guilty for not "giving" enough to your community and then 2) try to make you feel warm and fuzzy if you'll just authorize your company's payroll folks to rake some off the top of your income before your receive your check. Well, those folks use up about 25% of what they rake in to schill you into giving. Therefore, ALWAYS give directly to the home-based charity organization of your choice.

Just plain old Dumbcow will do :smile:
I agree that guilt is not how charities should encourage people to give money, but unfortunately I give in to those short 'give £1 a month to save little Billy' adverts on the TV...
I try to stick to charities which are small and I know where my money is going...

And for you churchy folk you who think your 10% tithe is doing the "good work" for you, fools live in a better reality.

I make a point of giving, among many other things, a single U$S100 check to be awarded to any C student at the local tiny high school near my ranch in Nevada who is accepted into a two-year or four-year community college/state university. The A students are getting their share. The principal of that particular high school knows that she has to give me a report on the student who receives that hundred bucks and what that student thinks they might be able to achieve. And they HAVE to be a C student. No B students or A students.

I have always given a small amount to charity each time I get paid, but I don't agree with the set amount rule. I don't think it would be right to just give 10% and nothing more. I try to base how much I give on how much I can afford to give whilst still leading a decent life and having savings for future problems.

Although the stuff food stuff coupons in newspapers encourage you to buy are not the healthiest foods, you might as well use them to defray the cost of buying the stuff before you donate it to the local food bank.

Finally, never give until it hurts. Give until it just feels good. That way it's a lot easier to make it a life habit.

Wise words :smile: But sometimes for me it feels good to give until it almost hurts...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
CLOSE to my Heart Topic,THANKs for the Thread DumbCow.>>
--Therefore, ALWAYS give directly to the home-based charity organization of your choice.--
Agree 100% with midlifebear,on that.
20yrs ago broke my OE experience' to donate time to the Notting Hill Housing Trust,have not stopped since.
Hands On has been the style,built into my life for many years now
Dont believe in some Major Charities' (apart from the Salvation Army-am sure there are Many others that are Ok'in my books at least) who spend a GREAT percentage of the $ collected..on Administration.
I Believe ALL Govts WW,should contribute $ for $ thats collected,by a legitimate Charity.(Of course then you would possibly have DODGY Administrators..??!,of the Vast amounts collected
NGO,s do a better Job than many other,s.> (talking re those disguised as Churchy Outfits)
An Aunty Manages a Hospice Charity Shop,i give of my time (an invaluable commodity),donate all of my excesse,s/.purchase from there any item i need etc....really quite into recycling.
When the Tsunami Hit a few years ago,i was Camping.thinking i was doing it hard,drinking Chinese T 24hrs,having one meal a day and then--
-could be as many as 350 have lost there lives...800/2000/5000/20.000/100.000 etc etc
...same can obviously be said for all other Natural Disasters...Katrina to the 000,s constantlylost in a Flood/Earthquake, or of course the 000,s Starving by the Minute...in African Countrys.
I believe ALL Humans have an inbuilt Generous Spirit/we just need to find&cultivate it.
enz

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
CLOSE to my Heart Topic,THANKs for the Thread DumbCow.>>
--Therefore, ALWAYS give directly to the home-based charity organization of your choice.--
Agree 100% with midlifebear,on that.
20yrs ago broke my OE experience' to donate time to the Notting Hill Housing Trust,have not stopped since.
Hands On has been the style,built into my life for many years now
Dont believe in some Major Charities' (apart from the Salvation Army-am sure there are Many others that are Ok'in my books at least) who spend a GREAT percentage of the $ collected..on Administration.
I Believe ALL Govts WW,should contribute $ for $ thats collected,by a legitimate Charity.(Of course then you would possibly have DODGY Administrators..??!,of the Vast amounts collected
NGO,s do a better Job than many other,s.> (talking re those disguised as Churchy Outfits)
An Aunty Manages a Hospice Charity Shop,i give of my time (an invaluable commodity),donate all of my excesse,s/.purchase from there any item i need etc....really quite into recycling.
When the Tsunami Hit a few years ago,i was Camping.thinking i was doing it hard,drinking Chinese T 24hrs,having one meal a day and then--
-could be as many as 350 have lost there lives...800/2000/5000/20.000/100.000 etc etc
...same can obviously be said for all other Natural Disasters...Katrina to the 000,s constantlylost in a Flood/Earthquake, or of course the 000,s Starving by the Minute...in African Countrys.
I believe ALL Humans have an inbuilt Generous Spirit/we just need to find&cultivate it.
enz

:hug: Thanks for sharing your views, enz :smile:
I too think that charity is very important...
I especially agree with what you said about us all having an inbuilt generous spirit :smile:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read that it costs £5 ($10) to provide a child the vaccine against malaria, which could save a life. Yet we go shopping and happily spend more than that on something we will never use.

That is why I am asking everyone on here to give just one item to a charity shop, or a small amount of money to a charity fund, then post what you gave in this thread and get recognized...

Next time you are going to buy something which is not needed, put it back on the shelves and give the money to people who really need it.

I'll start - I'm going to give some clothes to a charity shop tomorrow.[/quote

With ya on that... hundreds of USD to known needs each and every month! Then every Tom, Dick and Harry that seems to do some bike ride (sans any AIDS charities.. since we know the cause/spread).

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
With ya on that... hundreds of USD to known needs each and every month! Then every Tom, Dick and Harry that seems to do some bike ride (sans any AIDS charities.. since we know the cause/spread).

:hug: :smile: :hug: :smile: :hug: :smile: :hug: