Will you vote in the upcoming election?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Nov 3, 2006.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Here's a bit of non-partisan challenge for you all. Think back to every time you've seen any of the candidates advertising, and vote for any candidate who has NOT waged a negative, mud-slinging campaign against his opponent.

Please do NOT vote for any candidate who thinks the best thing he can say about himself is something nasty about his opponent. Think about that for a few minutes.

Most of the local and national candidates who have advertised in my area (Washington, DC) have spent most of their money on ads which do not evven mention their name - only the name of their opponent. The only way you know who the ad is for is the message: "Jim Webb is a slimebag" has to be an ad for George Allen, although Allen's name is not mentioned.

2. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you don't vote, you can't bitch about the outcome.

Here in Washington State, the only negative ads I've seen have been, not from the candidates, but from third parties or the Parties themselves.

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

If this is your approach to choosing whom to vote for, you're going to end up like me and not vote at all.

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Of course you can. This is up there with among the stupidest fucking most cliche things ever said every single election cycle- along with "every vote counts"

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Please point out to me anywhere ever where I have said "do not vote at all."

I said "do not vote for a mudslinger candidate. Do you not realize that there are entire galaxies of difference between what you imply that I said, and what I actually said? What kind of obnoxious stupid game are you playing here?

6. joe_smith

joe_smith New Member

What I find scary about election time is that with an exceptional turnout , only abuot 50% of Americans vote. This mean that that only about 25.1% (or less) decides what should be for 100% of the nation. Scary stuff.

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Because every cantidate uses negative ads, what you said is don't vote for any cantidate. What kind of obnoxious stupid game are you playing here?

8. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ahhh... the battle of the Washington Insiders with Large Penises...

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I voted via absentee ballot a couple of weeks ago (I have accessibility issues.)

I learned many, many years ago to ignore the ads. They've become background noise to me.

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ah, Ryan dear, I didn't say it, now did I? That may be the only choice left for some voters in some races, but I never did encourage people to abstain from voting altogether. I actually did see a Webb ad yesterday, where he spoke only about himself, and did not mention his opponent once. The only actual positive, factual political ad I have seen in the last 35 years.

Too bad we are not given a "none of the above" option which would prevent the running candidates from taking office.

But you are touching upon the whole reason I started this thread.

American citizens, if you support a candidate, based upon how thoroughly he discredits his opponent, rather than based upon how well he presents himself, you are such fucked up, idiotic, loser morons that you don't deserve to live. If you support them based on fear that "the other party will gain control," the same applies. If you do not INSIST that those representing you in government show a little integrity, you deserve worse than you get.

I have already written to a few politicians telling them what scumbags they are, if they can't campaign any better than that. What have any of you done lately?

11. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

DC, that's precisely why Mickey Mouse gets so many write-in votes.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Bwahahah, Pecker, I don't know about any other states, but Georgia "claims" that they do not recognize "write-in votes."

Also, some precincts have claimed, in the past 8 years, that absentee ballots do not have to be counted. Beware.

13. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:

DC, you didn't. I just pointed out that people who don't participate in the democratic process don't have a right to bitch about it if it doesn't go the way they like.

That was all.

14. Onslow

Gold Member

Kill me now.! I made the mistake of registering in New York after moving here and now there's an election and as far as I can see the only one who hasn't done the name calling is that creature known as Hillary.

Why is there no justice in the world?

I think I'll vote for Bugs Bunny in a write in vote.

15. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

A useful skill - more people should work on it. I literally haven't heard a political TV ad in years. I couldn't say just who's slinging the mud this election season, as it all sails past without affecting me in the least.

I don't look for the outrage du jour when voting. Politicians are in for the long haul, as am I.

16. B_DarkDexter

B_DarkDexter New Member

I'm an anarchist. I plan never to vote in my life.

17. hypolimnas

hypolimnas Well-Known Member

Without upsetting everyone too much, perhaps I can chime in here.

I am not American, and this is not necessarily my own view.

However, many other people, around the world, feel that America has no moral right to tell other countries about democracy, or to take the moral high ground on human rights issues.

This is because of several reasons that are perceievd to be the case in the US:

1. what is considered to be "low voter turn out", and others are:
    2. continued use of the death penalty (and legal injustice)
    3. what is considered to be lack politically objective media

I don't want to get into a fight here, but this is the perception in some parts of the world. Given the topic, I thought it might be interesting to sum it up in this way. Low voter turn out (and I completely understand the reasons why, I'm not saying everyone has to vote) is part of a set of factors that does colour how the US is seen around the world.

I think most people would like to feel they can participate in democratic government,:smile: (committed anarchists, like my mother excepted). That said, apathy, and a sense of hopelessness, have always been part of the human experience too. Of course, there is also a democratic right not to vote, but this can be seen as placing an extra burden on others.

18. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    Do you really think there is no difference in the culture or ideals of either party? I don't think it is an accident that the democrats aim at policies which benefit the middle class, since it is the largest part of the economic engine. Nor do I think it is an accident that the republicans aim at policies which benefit those who need change the least, people who already have power and wealth and don't want to lose their grip on the advantages they have.

Everybody knows there are plenty of differences in the cultures of the two parties. The question is, what do you think the country needs? Do you really think it needs more of what the republicans have been doing? Do you like they way they defend Bush at all costs? They just fired the chief auditor in Iraq, for example, so now there is no watchdog to keep contractors accountable. Why? I suppose the belief must be that republican contractors don't need any supervision, since they are all ethical, religious, patriotic, altruistic to a man.

If this is something you support, you should definitely vote republican, no matter what defects an individual candidate may have. Republicans especially stick together, and it is the group that determines the individual's behavior, not the other way around. You don't see many republicans now jumping ship or even criticizing their party. Instead, they turn any problem into an attack on democrats.

Democrats actually could benefit from a little bit of this kind of group behavior. But they seem incapable of group think, even when it costs them elections. They are almost too independent, too individual. They would not obey a mastermind like Rove even if he could guarantee elections.

The question is, which is better for the country?

If the party you support wins, do you have any idea of the signal that will that send to the rest of the world about who we are as a nation?

19. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    Interesting! and what planet do you plan to live on if this one gets ruined?

20. chico8

chico8 New Member

Ahhhh, the old, "He's unworthy of my support for x number of reasons and his opponent is equally unworthy so I'm going to not vote and show them all!" ploy.

That's so idiotic. There's never a perfect candidate, we vote to support the process of democracy in the US, not an individual. When you choose not to vote, for whatever reason, you are doing your utmost to subvert the process and that is the biggest problem facing the US today, pretend apathy posing as principled idiocy.

Draft saved Draft deleted