william haines, gay actor, ahead of his time?

D

deleted436524

Go to williamhaines.com to check out his designs.

B_blueonblue1964

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I read a biography (can't recall the title) about Haines in the 1990s. He was close friends with President & Nancy Reagan. In fact, when Haines' longtime companion passed away, and Haines was depressed, President Reagan gave him words of advice. Google the biography. It's at least 12 years old. Hope you can find it!

The loss of Haines from movies is the gain of interior designers even today. The man was enormously influential in creating the California Casual style of modern decorating. Haines mixed and matched very modern pieces with antiques and ushered in the age of informal entertaining. The way you think about organizing social areas in your home and even how it's laid out are influenced by Haines.

Haines decorated the homes of many big stars and Hollywood moguls. One of his first jobs after getting fired by MGM was decorating the home of Fox's CEO! Talk about payback! Haines then went on to having huge spreads in fan magazines like Photoplay and Life. These spreads of stars' homes influenced readers all over the country and they began to imitate the stars' style of living. By the 50s, Haines had made the American style the most influential interior design style in the country. Prior to that, people were looking to English country house, Bauhaus, and (in California and the southwest) Spanish. The house of Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard is a great example of old Hollywood Spanish style. It's comfortable but stiff and fussy. Haines ditched all that for a newer, sleeker, and more casual style that looked elegant while complementing the flowing and open spaces of more modern houses.

He was a fascinating man and I too want to read his biography.

Last edited by a moderator:

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I remember reading when Mr. Mayer gave William Haines a choice for him to ditch his longtime boyfriend and marry a woman to salvage his career. He refused it all and I believe that was the right move to do. He made the choice of a lifetime. He would not have sucessfully made it in the transitions of serious drama for the 1930s.

Ironically, both William Haines and Joan Crawford around the late 20s were both box office hits around that time.

Last edited:

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, but you have inspired me to write about it here. I thought it was rather interesting what you wrote done, though.

Jase, I have Wisecracker. Remind me on Friday and I'll give it to you.

Leave it out on the table, hit me over the head with it, and I might remember it. I don't trust my memory these days :dunce:.

brody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Fascinating personality and career. Must get hold of his biography one of these days.

mikey41

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read Wisecracker. What an excellent biography. Few, if any Hollywood Haines interiors exist anymore. Dumbass David Geffen bought Jack and Ann Warner's house and tore out all of Billy's beautiful work. Geffen is a gay man with no taste or sense of nostalgia. Go figure!