Window Washers On Scaffolds...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

*TERRIFYING*

I am watching out my window at the building next door, and there are the window washers on those pulley-scaffolds on the 24th floor...it is freezing cold and windy....and those guys are just totally nonchalant...those things have one bar or handrail around them and that is it!

http://www.globalfone.biz/images/WindowWasher.jpg

even more terrifying are these guys from 1933!

http://img.nytstore.com/IMAGES/NSAP200_LARGE.JPG

I could never do that...it reminds of the old time -construction workers you used to see walking on girders or having lunch in old pictures...

http://www.benisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-19321.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_gOowFCNUW_U/RLfEs1ySABI/AAAAAAAAAgU/YT5rnC31if8/u1343609.jpg

how can people be so relaxed/nonchalant about it?!?!?!

I am terrified of heights, but only in certain instances...i am totally fine lookingo ut the window of my apartment in the high teens, and i love going up to the roof to look out on the city (46th floor) but i cannot get too close to the wall and look down off the roof...

but to be that non-plussed as those guys, i cannot imagine!

anyone else feel that way? could you handle that job? (the old school construction or window washer guys, or the guys on the scaffolds today)

i could not handle it...no way....which is strange since i went parasailing many times when i was young and it did not bother me at all (i guess since i had a parachute)

2. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are two rails, plus a toeboard, and the workers must wear harnesses and be attached to a fall arrest device reel.

I have done a good bit of scaffold building, as well as working on them. Nothing close to those heights, though.

#2 kalipygian, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Flashy

Gold Member

you sir, are a braver man than I. :smile:

4. B_Morning_Glory

B_Morning_Glory New Member

my hubby was a commercial roofer when we met and he has been at some scary heights as well. he has strung up stair wells on the outside walls of buildings and also scaffolding etc ,etc, he has taken a few pics, of his different job sites and people, as well as other houses an buildings look like little ants, down below him. i could never have done that type work myself but it just came natural to him he said as he has always been around some kind of construction work of one type or another and it doesn't bother him in the least, once in a while some of his friends will ask him to help them out because the hight of a certain job they bid on or what ever, and they ask him if he would be interested in helping them out before they bid as some of the guys are afraid to go that high up and climb around or walk that high, so when he can he helps them out some. he has been a truck driver for the past 15 yrs, lot easier less dangerous. plus as he says he gets a paid vacation every week. but i my self have great respect for anyone who is connected with heights on their job. an im also very glad hubby left that profession . but wish he would completely leave it alone.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I snow ski, I've sky dived, I've taken trapeze lessons, I've taken hang gliding lessons and chickened out before I was supposed to jump off the cliff. I see all the window washers and men working on scaffolding in NYC, I would have to pass on the experience.

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I could never do it, falling to my death would be the worst thing ever. Because you have time to realize that you are going to die.

7. suprdave

suprdave Member

right after 9/11 i was working in somerset pa tearing the roof off of a 185' building, i would remove screws holding metal panels on then use a piece of pipe and shove the panel off and let it hit the ground, as i'm working a military helicopter came by and then turned hard and i thought they were going to land on the roof. the rotor wash blew me around on the roof, they landed and i went to the ground. they informed me the president was coming soon and if i was on the roof they would think it was a missile and blow me off the roof, i took lunch.

heights never bothered me until i went through a metal floor in a skidsteer and fell the distance of 4 stories bouncing off machinery the whole way down and layed pinned in the machine for 2 1/2 hrs until they could get to me and cut me out.

Draft saved Draft deleted