Windows Is Shutting Down/Windows Is Restarting......

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Has anyone else had this problem? It's been happening all day. I tried safe mode to run a virus scan..didn't work. Tried a system 'go back'....didn't work. I googled it and all the discussion board talk was so technical I couldn't make sense of it. Has this happened to you? Ack help I'm currently using my old laptop. Thx in advance ofr any knowledge!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
need a bit more info then that, are you getting any error messages, what OS are you using, it could be anything from a dirty heat sink to a hard drive problem. Is windows booting fully then shuting down. Are you getting the windows has encountered a problem and needs to shut down message.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You might try entering set up and select boot from disk and try a repair with the original OS disk in the drive.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm using Vista. When I restart the screen comes up and immediately I get that little window that says windows is blah blah blah. That's it. The desktop refreshes and it starts all over. What is entering set up and select boot?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You should do a virus scan. You may have some key's in the registry that are infected. If it's starting up and shutting down you are infected. Do a scan now.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You should do a virus scan. You may have some key's in the registry that are infected. If it's starting up and shutting down you are infected. Do a scan now.

I tried a scan in safe mode but didn't seem to finish. I can't do it in regular mode b/c windows keeps starting and stopping.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tried a scan in safe mode but didn't seem to finish. I can't do it in regular mode b/c windows keeps starting and stopping.
The only other option is a system recovery. When it is starting up keep pressing f11. A screen should come up for full recovery to factory settings. Or if you have the recovery discs you can use them.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So in Safe Mode it doesn't restart?

Login to Safe Mode. Click My Computer > Right click C: and choose Explore

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32

Arrange the items by Date Created. You should see items close to todays date listed at the top.

What you are looking for is suspicious .exe files or dll files with random names like jfdljdljd.dll.

Delete any that you find. That would indicate a virus problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If this is a hardware issue, try to remove all non-essential devices (eg USB devices etc).

If you added any new hardware recently such as cd drives or hard drives then remove them from the power supply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If Safe Mode isn't working, press F5 repeatedly after restarting and choose Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

Then once you login type in:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

You will need an install CD in the drive in order for it to complete.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only other option is a system recovery. When it is starting up keep pressing f11. A screen should come up for full recovery to factory settings. Or if you have the recovery discs you can use them.

If I do a full recovery won't I lose all my stuff that's on the desktop I downloaded etc? Pictures etc?

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Quickest way to restore functionality is to delete the suspicious files from System32. It's only what Spybot does anyway.

Good luck.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thx Sc but I don't have a disk. I'm trying a Spybot run now. Hopefully SOMETHING will work. EVen in safe mode I kept getting the windows saying Windows blah blah blah etc...
Keep trying a scan. Spybot is very good and it might fix the problem. If you have other spyware and virus programs run them too. Last resort F11.

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I do a full recovery won't I lose all my stuff that's on the desktop I downloaded etc? Pictures etc?
F11 should have a option to back up some of your files. However yes you will lose some files. But then at least you will have your computer back to normal. Keep trying Spybot. I wouldn't recomend going into the registry or system 32 and deleting any files. This is playing with fire if you don't know what your doing.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes everyone has told me not to F w/the registry and system32. Waiting for Spybot to finish and that can take awhile. I'm just not sure why any of the virus programs I have didn't recognize it if this is indeed the problem. It's VERY irritating and annoying.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes everyone has told me not to F w/the registry and system32. Waiting for Spybot to finish and that can take awhile. I'm just not sure why any of the virus programs I have didn't recognize it if this is indeed the problem. It's VERY irritating and annoying.
Keep trying all the virus programs. They are all good in catching different things.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Go buy another hard drive and install Vista on it. Vista Home was (and probably still is) $89 free shipping on Newegg. Use your old hard drive as an auxiliary drive. Everything will still be on it--you can delete all the Windows files as you determine you don't need them. You won't need hardly any of it. Just your pictures, documents, music, etc.

Then you just start off fresh and configure things as you want to, reinstall your other programs and etc.

This is the lowest cost and lowest headache solution I know of when your computer doesn't function any more because your hard drive it is too full of spyware, adware and malware. Most of the time when it gets that bad, it's already too late to salvage your current Windows installation.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ahh, the "Windows Explorer stoped working....Windows is restarting... ". The least helpful of messages.

Did you install anything, shortly before the loop began?

No nothing. this all happened this afternoon. Spybot found nothing and the windows refresh too fast for me to bring anything else to run. Dong another restore. That takes forever too!