Windows Is Shutting Down/Windows Is Restarting......

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Could be some kind of hardware failure too Hells. Sometimes you can press the scroll lock or pause/break keys to get a longer look at the error message. Then you press it again to continue.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Has anyone else had this problem? It's been happening all day. I tried safe mode to run a virus scan..didn't work. Tried a system 'go back'....didn't work. I googled it and all the discussion board talk was so technical I couldn't make sense of it. Has this happened to you? Ack help I'm currently using my old laptop. Thx in advance ofr any knowledge!

for any odd problem that an anti-virus problem can't solve... I highly recommend this: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

I've had so many ppl come to me for computer problems, and this solves it a lot. All the Norton, Symantec, AVG shit can't detect what this thing does.. seriously.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Thanks for the link faceking. I've also had good luck with Superantispyware. But once the malware is already installed, often you can never get rid of all of it. The programs say they have successfully removed it, or reboot to remove, but then it's there again the next time you scan.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
for any odd problem that an anti-virus problem can't solve... I highly recommend this: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

I've had so many ppl come to me for computer problems, and this solves it a lot. All the Norton, Symantec, AVG shit can't detect what this thing does.. seriously.
Thx and I have that progrm but I can't get it to run b/c the windows messages about Windows Explorer keep refreshing the screen. I think I'm going to lose my mind tnite w/this! And It better not interfere w/watching Brothers and Siters1 lol.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Donno whether you have a 64 bit CPU or a 32 bit CPU, but newegg has both. Vista Home Basic is $89. Vista Home Premium is $99:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Here's probably more than enough hard drive for $55 shipped. Seagates have a five year replacement warranty. Donno whether your motherboard is SATA capable or not though. Probably is if your computer is under two or three years old:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg will have it to you in about three days. Save yourself some aggravation and start fresh. It is inevitable sooner or later. Good luck.

The Chosen One

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I the explorer error happens after the login. Reboot and try to login as a different user, if its set up with multiple accounts.

Vista's UAC is known to cause errors, some of these result in the "Windows is restarting...". It maybe a user credentials situation.

Did you run any older applications, prior to the error?

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Ok HellsKitch.. I had similar situation in '08, had to relay off laptop
- Although this not a true WinXp? help forum- Which may be needed-
-Your HD boots at least so likely OK but infected & as Faceking Recs.-
-The very first thing Help sites do advise, when any with Win. performance issues come for help is to get Malwarebytes. If you have not done already:
-Do a C:>Properties>Disk Cleanup /all Temp.Inet files > Close/Reopen browser
-Then Free Dload program(or copy) to Desktop @ www.Malwarebytes.org
ONE WAY or another get Malwarebytes installed and Scanned
-At Main screen check vers. ~1.36, if not use Update tab
-Likely will have reboot , then Run Quick Search (or better Full Scan)
- Accept any backups/deletions offered and it logs all steps (for reversal)
-The reason for this is IT finds certain insidious Trojans/Malw. embeds every couple of months- which are totally missed by my AVG daily scans.(& likely other AV)
-On reboot to Safe, view Malw. bytes log of above, then my suggestion :
- Run Check Disk - as steps to setup below for novices, (sorry for abbreviations)
- Start> My Computer > C: Right> Tools > Check Now button.. and Click both boxes > OK to
- Close all then Start > Turn Off button then Restart button
- On normal reboot a blue screen appears ..Let ChkDisk Run (try to note time of day)
- See if it gets you back to normal bootup and desktop - hopefully
-If not, simply close, advise with notes of above as there is one crazy step you may check before I would forward you to true Win Help forum experts..

.. just my KISS basis of toiling w/ B.Gates products for many years,
..and hope for ++ results
SnR
Edit: Due to most recent posts - using WinXp or Vista ??,
although I think the above steps are valid either way

Last edited:

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago. Is there a new virus going around?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As I note following Faceking @#22, Get Malwarebytes First
I think I mentioned 3 times alreadythat I can't click on the Malwarebytes icon alkready b/c teh Windows explorer window pops up to fast and refreshes the screen endlessly. I think I'm gonna have to put the laptop on a shelf till I have 60dollars and hour to get an IT person to solve this problem. Thx for all your advice. Everyone had good advice maybe but no one could say I had this problem and here's how I solved it...so on the shelf w/the laptop for now.

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Right click on My Computer and choose manage, in there you can find the system logs and see whats causing the errors, if its indeed explorer you'll have to repair the OS which requires the OS disk.

If you click on f8 while the dos screen is booting you can enter bios setup to select boot from disk to install or repair the OS.

You can also run the sfc command to check system file integrity. I am not sure of the parameters to use but you can find them on the internet.

Hey I broke 3000 posts HEY!!!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...STOP USING WINDOWS.

Seriously.

Ubuntu Linux has evolved to the point where even the most non-technical people can install and use it as their desktop operating system. It will even migrate all your Windows user accounts and settings for you, and your data files will still be in place.

Plus, the installation is non-destructive...meaning that if you don't like it, you can always reboot your machine and choose to load Windows instead. You can even test-drive it running from a CD without performing an actual installation.

Do it, and be done with the slowdowns and malware and viruses that plague Windows for good.

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I mentioned 3 times alreadythat I can't click on the Malwarebytes icon alkready b/c teh Windows explorer window pops up to fast and refreshes the screen endlessly. I think I'm gonna have to put the laptop on a shelf till I have 60dollars and hour to get an IT person to solve this problem. Thx for all your advice. Everyone had good advice maybe but no one could say I had this problem and here's how I solved it...so on the shelf w/the laptop for now.
My Bad.. you are on Vista, my suggest. based on Safe mode OPS.
But if no Win. Explorer there, the only hope is to try access per
VC777 Reply #8; go Safe commnd prompt & type ChkDsk /F /R /V
-see results display then his suggested @ C:> sfc /scannow..
If No Go .. you do have real prob. not easily resolved.. like mine (all centered on Malw. infecting boot sector)

It took some time but salvage w/o CD succeeded,
if you relay help corrections given off good computer from-
Help forums at these FREE sites:
BleepingComputer.com - Computer Help Forums OR
Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows Vista, XP, and more!

Got to rest so PM me if further interest , SnR

Last edited:

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You need a poem:

Windows is Shutting Down by Clive James

Windows is shutting down, and grammar are
On their last leg. So what am we to do?
A letter of complaint go just so far,
Proving the only one in step are you.

Better, perhaps, to simply let it goes.
A sentence have to be screwed pretty bad
Before they gets to where you doesnt knows
The meaning what it must be meant to had.

The meteor have hit. Extinction spread,
But evolution do not stop for that.
A mutant languages rise from the dead
And all them rules is suddenly old hat.

Too bad for we, us what has had so long
The best seat from the only game in town.
But there it am, and whom can say its wrong?
Those are the break. Windows is shutting down.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thx for all your suggestions and help. Today, in safe mode I was finally able to run RegCure but couldn't do what it asked me b/c that window keeps opening and closing. Runiing malwarebtes now. Maybe it will help. I guess I'll spend the afternoon trying the rest of your suggestions unless I have a stroke from this first! :D! Thx again all sooooo much.

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thx for all your suggestions and help. Today, in safe mode I was finally able to run RegCure but couldn't do what it asked me b/c that window keeps opening and closing. Runiing malwarebtes now. Maybe it will help. I guess I'll spend the afternoon trying the rest of your suggestions unless I have a stroke from this first! :D! Thx again all sooooo much.
Well it now seems You ARE able to get a true Windows Safe mode,
See a desktop, w/ Start button and Task Bar across the bottom..
from my prior suggestions "based on Safe mode OPS."

Disconnect modem/other and assuming it completes the Malw.scan..
Try to follow these left click> steps for Check Disk:
-On reboot to Safe, view Malw. bytes log of above, then my suggestion :
- Run Check Disk - as steps below for novices, (sorry for abbreviations)
- Start> My Computer> C: Right> Properties> Tools > Check Now button.. and Click both boxes > OK to Restart
- or Close all then Start > Turn Off button then Restart button
- On normal reboot a blue screen appears ..Let ChkDisk Run
- See if it gets you back to normal bootup and desktop - hopefully

If Not, Close and Reboot to your Safe mode as above
Then Start > Run > type in the box(as spaced)- ChkDsk /F /R /V
see if it Runs in a black window OR
Answer Yes for a Run on Reboot
(That should get you the blue screen for ChkDsk noted above)

If you can get thru these two scans/Runs .. you have a chance
Best of luck
SnR

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Staff thx for that will try when MB is done. It's taken 2 hrs already. My main problem is that window popping up. I can't click on anything when it does. I have like 2 seconds to hit something and it's too fast but we'll see.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ubuntu Linux has evolved to the point where even the most non-technical people can install and use it as their desktop operating system. It will even migrate all your Windows user accounts and settings for you, and your data files will still be in place.

No, it hasn't. Linux isn't [yet] a mainstream, retail [i.e. home use] product, not even close. This thread alone evidences that.

Last edited: