Windows Media Encoder

Discussion in 'Webcams / Cyber Connections' started by ziggity, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ziggity

ziggity New Member

Albums:
    i just started using this program to broadcast with my webcam. it's much more stable and fast and has better resolution than msn or yahoo... and others can open your broadcast in Windows Media Player :)

if you have broadband, try it! http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

2. thufirhawat

thufirhawat Member

Albums:
    Indeed, i've made the test with Ziggity, and it's very high quality, both the picture quality and the subject quality :p

*worshipping Ziggity* :wub:

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I tried downloading it.

You must have either Windows 2000 or XP to do it.

I have ME.

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

You ever cam Pecker?

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Not yet, Lex. My son is looking for a good one for me so I can cam with my grandkids.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Very cool. They have some good and rather inexpensive ones at Target.

Once you have one, do you think you would ever consider showing your, ah-hem, package?

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Not likely lex. :lol: I've no interest in making live horror movies.

8. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

HAHA. Well, I'm sure from your stories that you thick tool and heavy loads would make alot of people smile. Horror to you, heaven to others.

9. ziggity

ziggity New Member

Albums:
    it was a mistake of me to post the program but not give even a bit of a tutorial..

so here it is!

i suggest that this program only be used with a broadband connection (DSL or Cable or T1.. generally any connection faster than dialup is broadband, i think). certain connections may have issues and may not be able to broadcast... if not, sorry. but give it a try before you rule yourself out :)

1. install the program

2. open program (WME 9 Series)

3. BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET! (you probably are, but it's important. i'm sure you knew that :p)

3. choose BROADCAST A LIVE EVENT and click okay

4. in the Device Options step, choose your webcam under Video device. if you like, choose your microphone or webcam mic under Audio device. if you do not want audio, make sure video is CHECKED and audio is unchecked. click next.

5. in the Broadcast Method step, choose PULL FROM THE ENCODER and click next.

6.in the Broadcast Connection step, click the FIND FREE PORT button. the URL in the URL for Internet connections box should change to include the free port you got from clicking the button. your URL should look something like this:

http://64.121.54.50:1890/

again, we want the URL for Internet connections, not the LAN URL. copy and paste that address somewhere or write it down (http://64.121.54.50:1890/ in my case) and click next.

7. in the Encoding Options step, keep the Video setting on "Multiple bit rates video (CBR)". if you're confident in your connection speed, you can fiddle with the "High speed" setting at another time. choose the setting of 128kbps/15fps/320x240 and check it off, making sure no other options are checked. in the future, you can also experiment with resolution and bit rates. greater numbers = better picture and speed, at the cost of bandwidth. once you've chosen, click Finish.

8. it should do a bit of loading, and then it should display "Encoder Ready" at the bottom left corner. towards the top, there should be a nice green button saying "Start Encoding". go ahead and click it.

9. you should see yourself at this point.

10. give someone that IP address (like http://64.121.54.50:1890/). tell them to open it in Windows Media Player. (in Windows Media Player, pressing ctrl+u will allow you to open a URL. or you can click file>Open URL). tell them to input that address. if everything is peachy, they should have a brief buffering period, and then be viewing you at a nice framerate and resolution, much better than that offered by MSN, Yahoo, or any other messenger. you can also test this yourself, by encoding, and then opening Windows Media Player and opening the URL. NOTE: if their browser supports video, then they can probably just click the link you give them and view it with Internet Explorer or whatever browser they use.

good luck, and please give any feedback or comments or problems here, so i can try my best to help. i'm definitely not an expert, but i'll do what i can :)

10. josh82823

josh82823 New Member

Awesome Zig, thanks for posting this. Just got a cam for the first time, and have been having prob's with msn and yahoo - gonna try this.
    Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted