Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by findfirefox, Dec 18, 2006.

1. findfirefox

Gold Member

Windows Vista, My Review-

I started using Windows Vista RC1 not to long ago because I wanted to sample it before I decided to buy it when released. (On January 30th)

Prep- To Prep for the download I got the Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser thing from the site to see if said that I could upgrade or if I had to complete anything. It told me to plug in every device that I use regularly, so that it could check and see if the device would work. The test did not take to long and it says that I can upgrade, Woo! It seems as though most computers that came with XP or were designed for XP should be able to run Vista, though you may have some hardware that will not work. (My Printer for Example) I Screen Capped it below.

Versions- Ahh The Many options of Windows Vista.

They Start off with Windows Vista Home Basic, This version is SHIT, let me bold that, SHIT. You don't even get the new GUI (Aero) Its basicly Windows XP with an Orb for the start button. This is the version of Vista you get with the free express upgrade many computer manufactures are giving out right now.

The there is Windows Vista Home Premium. I expect that this will be the most popular version, as it has the new GUI (Aero) one of the best parts of Windows Vista it also is good for Tablets and Laptops with more power settings and contains the Tablet programs it also comes with Windows Vista Media Center, and that is something that can be really enjoyable. But more about that later.

Next is Windows Vista Business. This verision has the Tablet and Laptop support, and Aero. It does not have Windows Media Center, but it has advanced back-up utilitys and better networking.

and finaly Windows Vista Ultimate. This is the verision I am testing, this version has everything that they have to offer, and the new BitLocker drive encryption. This would be considered there best verision.

The Pricing is as follows-
    Windows Home Basic- $99.95 (Upgrade)199.00 (Full)
    Windows Home Premium- 159.00 (Upgrade) 239.00 (Full)
    Windows Business- 199.00 (Upgrade) 299.00 (Full)
    Windows Ultimate- 259.00 (Upgrade) 399.00 (Full)

These are the prices for ONE Licence. But for you people who like to play games Microsoft decided to save money they would put all versions on the same disk, and its all about the Product Key that Unlocks your features. I'll jump a bit into there new Anti-Piracy features later.

The Install- I upgraded from Windows XP on my tablet and it was very quick, its very simple. One thing I noticed is that it asks if you are connected to the internet and if you will be for the whole install, this is so that it can download updates and help prevent any install errors. I installed from inside Windows XP, and not from scratch. (I have kept XP on my computer in case of problems) One note is that you must have a DVD Drive to install Vista.

The Set-Up- It was very simple, when it first starts it pulls up its "Welcome Center" to help get you started. Now its very simple to create accounts and the log in screen is very clean looking.

Features
    Security- Well the new Windows is all about you and your computers protection. Windows Vista comes with Windows Defender to help keep it safe, it also controls your start-up programs and that bothered me a bit but "MSCONFIG" still works in Vista.

Now theres also a new feature where it asks you permission to do just about anything, this is done to prevent people who are not admins. To make changes, it halts the computer and aks if you want to continue. If you are loged in as an Admin it does not require a password to continue, that is why MS (Microsoft) recomends running Windows Vista in a limited account most of the time prevent unauthorised scripts from running without a password. (If you are in a limited account it ask for an Admins password)

Virus Protection is not built into Windows Vista, thats what Windows One Care is for. I tested the program to see if it was good, and I will say that I think it is designed very well and provides good protection.

Windows Update is now a program and not based out of IE when you want to manualy download updates, its nice.

Parental Controls- I may not be a parent but I know they exsist somewhere. They are semi-decent, the webfilter is a little insane it assumes everything is evil, but the ability to control the times they can access the computer, it also warns users about the Safe Mode Administrator that normaly goes without a password, and notes that it is a common workaround for parental controls and that a password should be placed on that account.

It also creates activity reports for every Standard account, Eek!

Instant Search and New Start Menu
    - The start button is now a Windows Logo Orb, when you first click on it you have the two colums then all programs and it organizes programs very well but I found that typing the name in the box at the bottom is the quickest way to open a program! Also Vista Indexes everything so searches are must quicker! The Instant Search checks your e-mails, files, and programs. Need to find a file, type it there, need an e-mail, type part of it there, need a program, type the name there.

Also Games are now put into a new area. Your computer is given a base performance rating and it is a simple number. All games for window are supposed to get a number and that is what is required to play the game, the games folder shows all that in an easy to access place. Also Windows Vista continues to render the desktop even when the game is in full screen so it makes switching back to the desktop faster but some older games are not big fans of that at all...

The New GUI, Aero- The Shiny star of Windows Vista. This makes Windows look so much better, its very nice and clear, very peeerrrrdddyyyy. The edges are like glass on most programs and creates a nice effect. Also moving your mouse over an icon on the taskbar pulls up a mini-screen shot above it so that you can see the staus of something or what it is. Alt-Tab is still there but insted of just Icons its live screen shots of the programs. Also most of things are animated and creates a nice effect, unlike past Windows editions where the animations created a slowness like feeling, Vista has animations that keep it feeling quick.

Also a cool feature is the Flip3D (Windows Key+Tab) this actualy takes all open windows pulls em sideways and lines then up. Then taping tab switches windows and they are live and what they are actualy doing. Its like a new version of Alt+Tab.

Windows Media Center- Its nice, it makes using a TV with it much easier and simpler because thats what its really made for. Another feature is that one computer can now extend to 4 seperate media extenders at one time, so one computer could do 4 TV's in a home.

IE7- Thats on Windows XP Try it for yourself, it works better on Vista and has less issues.

Piracy- This is for all you people who plan to aquire Windows through some non-legal means. Since all editions of Windows will be on the same CD you better bet that Microsoft will have some more protection. I'm not sure on the specifics but Windows Genuine will be diffrent, updates will be avaliable to everyone even people using fake versions of Windows. They (Microsoft) have plans that Vista will monitor itself and if it sees file system changes its supposedly going to report that to MS so they can investigate, if they deem that you are using a false version of Windows they give you 30 days to get a key (Like a randsom) and if you dont it goes all reduced functionaliy, such as limited file access and internet access to 1 hour a day. (Like a fun game) BUT You will still get Critical Windows Updates, go figure.

They also may require you to reinstal Windows Vista if they see that you are using a fake version and you do get a full version.

Compatiblity
    - I say they did great on this one especily with so many rebuilt features all Devices work (Excluding my printer) I have had a few software problems, but some of the ones I have had MS has confirmed that it is Fixed in the final version.

Oh, BTW FlashChat is a no go on Windows Vista in IE or FireFox, its like a mega bitch, IE refuses it because it can't verify the software creator and FF just won't do it, period.

Overall-
    I really like it, I think that it is a great improvemnt, even without that new File System, but its simple, clean, nice, and even in the Beta (RC1) its relativly bug free.

You can sign up for the beta still at Windows.com for some of you crazy people

This seems good enough.

Below are some attached screen shots.

EDIT- Have a Question? Ask I may get around to it :)

Attached Files:

2. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow. You sure are thorough. Thanks, pal. This was obviously well thought out, and a lot of work.

3. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Thanks for the extensive report.Your post should almost be required reading for anyone on LPSG who is using Windows and plans to upgrade to Vista. It helps to have a review that is independent of Microsoft's own propaganda for the new OS.

4. tallguypns

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have been using something very similar to Windows Vista for several years now. It's called Mac OS X. Bill Gates and his bunch steal again.

5. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Even with the "concept lifting", we have the pragmatic reality that now the remaining 90% of the Earth's population will have interactions to those of the talented 10% i.e. Linux/Unix/Mac OS X users....

6. findfirefox

Gold Member

Oh No You Didant'! At least with Windows I can run my games :tongue: Even if it does crash sometimes

7. dong20

Gold Member

I think Vista looks good, but for most business environments it doesn't offer a great deal over XP Pro.I have the Business (and 'N') versions under VLM but have not installed either anywhere yet. I ran the Betas and RC1/RC2 for a while. It will be interesting to see how the business community receives it.

I can't help but wonder if many home users may be a little dissapointed given the hardware requirements for Vista Ultimate but new kit is so cheap these days so maybe it will insert itself OK via OEMs as a 'free' upgrade.

8. findfirefox

Gold Member

Well the Biz. Version is out right now so it won't be to long before we get something. Windows XP Pro and Vista Biz. are quite similar though so it'll be a hile before we see big companys making the jump.

Now Vista has quite low requirements, its along the lines of 20gb HD, 256mb Ram and 1ghz processor. Its just that you don't get anything from it really.

Now I see that you have the "N" XP, why is that? I never really saw the problem with WMP, plus I really like WMP 11 its looks a lot better and runs with really good performance.

9. dong20

Gold Member

I it, though I have not seen the 'shrinkwrapped' final version. Here in the UK a few are bundling XP with a 'free' upgrade in Jan, usually shipping to pay though.

I know, XP runs pretty poorly at that spec, Vista is all but useless, to me anyway, quadruple that spec and you'll do OK.

N
    It's a purely 'office worker' version really, most office workers don't need WMP etc. Under my licencing I can download them and I have, it's just I have not yet installed any as yet.

10. findfirefox

Gold Member

There doing that here (as I noted above) but its Home basic, and if you dont even get the new GUI I don't see the point. Then it really is just windows XP with an Orb for the start button.

11. dong20

Gold Member

I didn't look that closely but I'd guess it was the same here. I agree if you're going to have Vista it may as well be Ultimate, otherise as you say it's XP with a lick of paint.

12. findfirefox

Gold Member

Yep! Home Premium will be good for must people, but for the best its Ultimate. And Sadly I want Ultimate but jeez $250 is... wooo....

13. transformer_99

Gold Member

I've been tinkering with it for a few months now myself. It's a resource hog, bloated. But as systems have more memory, faster gpu's and cpu's, won't all OS's pack on a few pounds of eye candy or become Mimi of Drew Carey Show fame ? ;)

For my tastes and pursuits Ubuntu Linux has been quite a pleasure to upgrade to. If Home Premium is going to be projected as extremely popular, I'll stay away from Vista for as long as I can hold out. I feel if Home Premium is a popular option, why even get it ? For aero glass ? Here's Home or Home Premium if you already are using XP, and it's free:

Vista Transformation Pack 6 RC1 Screenshots - Softpedia
    Vista Transformation Pack at Windows X’s Shrine

I prefer the ultimate version anyway, but the pricetag keeps me from considering any version of Vista. I don't see employers moving that direction anyway. I do feel that when MS only offers Vista that will force hands to upgrade.

14. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have the option of a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition but only until the end of March.I've heard a few reports of some things not being compatible with Vista so I don't know if I should bother.Has anyone had problems with it?

15. PowayWolfman

PowayWolfman Well-Known Member

Albums:
    thats a good review man :)

but, I'll stick with mac's... Since I dont "game" I see no need to deal with Windows and its constant problems.. but I will give MicroSoft one positive note, they are at least finnaly adressing concerns with their product. ((even if they did just steal mac's look)) XD

16. GoneA

Gold Member

If you have Limewire, Morpheus or any of that stuff, you can forget about it with Vista.

DRM's a bitch.

17. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Yorkie, I think you have to do it online though by the 15th. Then you have until the 31st to submit your documentation. I scanned and emailed my documents and they said I was good to go just a week ago. My little windows sticker thingee - they call it Certificate of Authentification (COA) was not validated or whatever, so I had to wait a week for them to contact Bill Gates and then I was able to finish the upgrade request online. If you plan to do it you better get started right away:

https://upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista/Default.aspx

18. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

What about µtorrent? It works fine with 64 bit XP. Does Digital Rights Management stop you from installing stuff?

19. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    The computer has to be purchased no later than the 15th to qualify but you have until the 31st to register your application.
    I decided to go ahead with it and I've just got my order confirmation.
    That COA number is so tiny,the only way I could read it was to take a photo and enlarge it on my 32" tv screen! :rolleyes:

20. joe2

joe2 New Member

Albums:
    I'm using ubuntu too, good stuff. But I'd guess from your avatar you're a freebsd user.

Draft saved Draft deleted