Windows XP or Vista?

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My old PC has Windows XP and I've got use to it although it is old and giving me problems. I've been shopping around but most of the new models are using Vista.

I've heard many people don't like this operating system as well.

I'd appreciate comments.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have Vista and I haven't had any problems with it... but a lot of people complain about it. I'm not sure why they don't like it.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
People just don't like it because they're used to the XP and the Vista system is a bit different. The buttons are in a different place etc.

But you just have to get used to it. Vista is a very good operating system.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I thought I'd have big problems. But I've been using it for about a month and so far so good. I do have to update to AutoCad 8 though.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's a power hungry OS, but most new laptops even had 3 gig of Ram.

I have 1 Gig and use a USB thumbdrive with Powerboost.

Str8Married

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Strongsville, Ohio, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I bought a Getaway laptop that gave me nothing but trouble!

They (Bets Bye) kept telling me it was a memory problem, then a hard drive proplem, then a memory problem again...finally I decided to load Ubuntu Linux on it. I love it! I can get thousands of programs (mostly) free! I don't have to pay 39.95 for this and 79.95 for that. It is all open source and I'm free to do with it what I want. No licensing restrictions!!

There is a learning curve though, you have to be willing to do some research but it is the best move I've made.

Same machine with no "memory" or "hard drive" problems now.

(The names in this post have been changed to protect the guilty)

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Vista is such shit that Mircosoft is seriously considering abandoning it for Windows 7-

Like most releases of their OS, it was ill conceived and poorly executed...

Vista's biggest mistake was that they went back on their equipment specifications, simply because Intel was having a hard time manufacturing the graphics chip Vista requires.- SO Mircosoft relaxed the requirements for Vista certification.... Which pissed OFF HP because they had invested a HUGE amount ensuring that they could be among the FEW who could place Vista stickers on their hardware...

So- the result is that a LOT of computers marketed as "Vista Complaint" are, in fact , NOT really compliant.

THose who bought Vista with a truly compliant HP product are probably having a better experience than those who got othe r computers.

Beyond that... there are issues with newer 64 bit computers and Vista being able to run some of the more complex software packages...

NONE of the software that I rely on for a living have Vista compatible version yet... well over a year after its release.
I have contacted the developers and they say that there are some real issue with VIsta... they are having a very hard time getting their software to work with it.

Mind you... if all you do with a computer is internet, word processing and simple media playing.... chances are Vista will work fine for you...
However... if you are into 3 dimensional modeling, processor intensive graphics editing or creation, Non linera video editing... or any other real cutting edge software... you will probably have a hard time with Vista.

For now, I run 3 Windows XP64 systems- and will continue to do so until I start hearing some positive shit about Vista.

Also... if in the market for a computer... Buy an Intel Mac... it will run BOTH Windows, AND the mac OS....
In my experience... my macs run windows more stable than the IBM or ther PC

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Vista is nothing but expensive junk!! Nothing is compatible with it, it still has conflicts, is a memory hog, still crashes, and IF you can find software that runs in Vista, it's gonna be expensive. Not to mention all the security vulnerabilities it's chock full of. Oh, and did I mention that while you're blithely surfing the net, Vista is telling Micro$oft everything about you and everything you do without you knowing it?

Vista might be "pretty" or "easy to use", but that's like saying lacy drapes are functional for blocking light, and child-proof anything is easy to operate.

I saw a commercial the other day how Micro$oft was touting "how easy" Vista was to use using "actual customers". Funny, they've never had to have a commercial showing how easy something is to use before. Why would they be doing this now??

Linux is *SO* much easier to operate, navigate, and *FAR* superior to anything Micro$oft has to offer. Did I mention that any version of Linux is free??

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I edit video and there are very few programs for the PC that will run stable on XP let alone Vista. My girlfriend's son recently built a Vista system from scratch and has been having mad problems with it.

If you are a home user... then you probably won't have any problems with Vista, but if you are a power user (gaming, video, 3D, audio editing), then you will have difficulties.

Honey123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I bought a PC from Dell last year for Christmas and had a lot of initial issues with it. My year old HP printer was supposed to be Vista compliant - turns out it was built in China 2 months before they started producing compliant printers at that facility. right... My old monitor would not work with it, nor would my old MS Office 97 software.

I kept the old XP box and gave it to my son to play with and have the printer hooked up to it. I bought us both new monitors and I just ignore the warning messages the operating system gives me about the version of Excel being too old. I also turned off all of the "fun" new features. I've got so many features turned off now that it almost runs like my XP box - very few errors these days. But did have some trouble a couple weeks ago after a software upgrade that lasted for 3 days and ended mysteriously. I kept having Internet Explorer randomly freak out and open 100 copies of the page I was viewing when I hit the backspace key.

I figure XP was so stable that they had to replace it so they could justify charging for repairs. If it works, you don't need to fix it, so they had to replace it.

I also now have a Mac laptop and am using it more but it took some adjusting to.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Vista works ok for me...never had problems. HOWEVER, if you upgrade from XP to Vista..thats where all the problems are. If you're not installing on a clean hard drive...then i'd say stay with XP but if its a new computer or system...go with Vista. I have Vista Professional and it's never been a problem.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well this is a laptop which I so far have only used for basic computing and everything is ok so far with Vista....

My designers at the shop are just staying with XP and a Mac for our 3D and production drawing work. Maya, Alias Wavefront, Rhino and ACad are our main apps and I'm told there is no way that Vista is ready for prime time with that stuff.

What are you hearing about Windows 7? Won't it be just more of the same from MicroCrap?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My PC has Windows XP 2007 I prefer the older version of XP though. My mom's PC is newer and has VISTA and I hate it. In theory it's not so bad; it just has a huge learning curve with which I would rather not deal.