Windows XP or Vista?

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I know that you were talking about the machine. Never was impressed with a mac machine. At all.

And if Linux doesn't already have the software you need, finding the software for what you need or want to do, even professional, isn't hard anymore. It is out there. Or, if you're feeling froggy, just build your own program. Unlike Micro$oft, Linux gives you the source code to do that or to make existing programs better.

The other problem you have is running those crappy Intel chips!! It's a wonder you can run anything with those!! If you knew what I know about those, you would run away screaming!! Run ANYTHING ELSE but those!!

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As for XP vs Vista..
Pretty much what everyone else has been saying.
Keep it simple it and it will LIKELY be OK. Maybe. But, power users beware.
Its resource intensive, and has too many new security thingys going on that it conflicts with or outright rejects hardware and software that XP can handle. Including some MS software.
I remember a company either HP or IBM, stopped installing Vista on there new pcs and went back to XP because there were too many help desk calls for HELP.. But that was months and months ago.
Upgrade to XP sp3. And stay there. There is nothing in Vista that makes it worth the effort to use it over XP. Unless you just want to play solitare. And even that is all different. If you can downgrade back to XP, DO IT! Its well worth it.
Vista just makes a nice coaster.
Hear that Microsoft? You fucked up!

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i honestly don't see why people don't like vista. i bought my gateway laptop in june of last year and i've had no problems with it at all.

before i bought this one, i went through 2 acers in 2 days. :rolleyes:

the first one, i was in the middle of setting it up and it just shut off and would not turn back on. so i took it back, got another one. same thing happened after i got the setup done.

so i just took it back, got my money back and went to best buy and bought a gateway. i have no complaints about vista at all.

Gateways rock.
Vista can suck me.
Do you use computer for some pretty basic stuff or do you make your CPU sweat?

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not even some of the desktop replacements, like the Dell XPS M1730?

I think he needs a pc with two dual core CPU's, (big heat sinks and fans would be good to) and gigs and gigs of RAM for memory and video card.. And a hard drive array..
OH I just got myself all excited again

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Linux can do all that stuff. Easily. And it's FREE. Why buy something that's substandard when something superior is FREE?? It just makes no sense.
Linux comes in many flavors to suit what you need, it's FREE, Never crashes, it's FREE, it's the ONLY true multitasking OS out there, it's FREE, and I don't know anyone that's running Linux to have ever gotten a virus, trojan, or even had their identity or credit cards stolen using Linux. (having your life/money stolen with Windoze is all too easy) Did I mention it's FREE?

I work with music a lot. Linux is better at it than any Mac or Windoze. I can surf hacker and government websites without them even knowing I'm there. Try that with a Mac!! And with Linux friendly routers/wireless routers, you can make your system ultra secure and keep people from mooching off your high speed internet from down the street.

Linux comes in many flavors, ranging from super easy to WTF???, is superior to anything out there, best of all, it's FREE people!!

But for those of you that are scared to try something new, several flavors of Linux can be had that run strictly off a CD on any OS so you can get a feel for it. Eject the CD and it goes away without disturbing that OS. It's really cool. Can you do that with Windoze or other OSes? I think not.

Soooo...
How much does it cost?

:joke:

Last edited:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That I do not understand. MACs use software to, how come they are so invulnerable to viruses?

My understanding is they are not invulnerable. Hackers and micreants who write viruses, and the like, tend to focus their efforts on the most popular systems. Give them time. When Macs become popular in the scale of things, its OS will be targeted too. So will linux. The Mac share is still rather small worldwide compared to the number of mainstream PCs.

Viruses afflicting the micro computers in household appliances, phones and PDAs will likely develop too, given time. They may be the logical avenue for transmission, if somebody wants to pull a stunt that captures a lot of attention.

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My understanding is they are not invulnerable. Hackers and micreants who write viruses, and the like, tend to focus their efforts on the most popular systems. Give them time. When Macs become popular in the scale of things, its OS will be targeted too. So will linux. The Mac share is still rather small worldwide compared to the number of mainstream PCs.

Viruses afflicting the micro computers in household appliances, phones and PDAs will likely develop too, given time. They may be the logical avenue for transmission, if somebody wants to pull a stunt that captures a lot of attention.

OK, that makes sense.. The majority crowd gets the majority virus writers.
Thnx

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

This is partly true...
But the real emergent property is that the internet is how MOST malware is disseminated... and 95% of the machines hooked up to the net are running Windows.

Because of the ultra small percentage of Mac computers... the viruses that get written simply can not propagate effectively thru the internet because the number of macs online are below a critical threshold.
Since windows malware can not infect Macs and vice versa, a Mac virus gets stopped in 95% or all all instances.

It is simply too hard for a mac virus to FIND enough macs hooked to enough macs to keep going and thus Mac malware tends to peter out...

Because of 6this, Hackers writing Mac viruses simply do not get the thrill of seeing their software infect the whole web...

WIndows machines, on the other hand, are so dense on the net that malware can readily achieve a literal chain reaction phenomenon.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Linux comes in many flavors, ranging from super easy to WTF???, is superior to anything out there, best of all, it's FREE people!!

Linux is great until something goes wrong. Then who do you go to to fix it? The techies have an easy time with it, but Linux doesn't have the support base for the average computer user.

This is mostly true. There are some architectural advantages to a UNIX-based OS over Windows, but enterprising hackers have always been able to make UNIX viruses. There just have never been that many of them out there. Someday a Mac virus will come along that causes a lot of damage, but that day hasn't come yet.

In the meantime, my Macs have rarely had problems. I find all the hand-wringing over Vista and XP amusing.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know that you were talking about the machine. Never was impressed with a mac machine. At all.

And if Linux doesn't already have the software you need, finding the software for what you need or want to do, even professional, isn't hard anymore. It is out there. Or, if you're feeling froggy, just build your own program. Unlike Micro$oft, Linux gives you the source code to do that or to make existing programs better.

The other problem you have is running those crappy Intel chips!! It's a wonder you can run anything with those!! If you knew what I know about those, you would run away screaming!! Run ANYTHING ELSE but those!!

What do you run...?
I run XEONs... they are intel chips.

As to the machine...
Take apart a mac some day.
Its a world of difference from a PC clone...
like the difference between between working on a mercedes, versus a Yugo.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I do need to take another crack at RedHat.

Per the OP. Go XP. Vista isn't as bad as many profess, but it's only worth the hassle if you need it (and can leverage it).

XP Pro SP 2 reminds me of the Windows2000 heyday. Solid.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Linux is great until something goes wrong. Then who do you go to to fix it? The techies have an easy time with it, but Linux doesn't have the support base for the average computer user.
True.\
Besides. Mac OS is simply more beautiful, more elegant, and easier to use.
ITs the gold standard of User Interfaces.
Add to that the iPod and iPhone... Apple uses the power of computers to make the most sophisticated, intuitive and effortless to use software.

If you are NOT a coder or techie... if you just want to USE a computer effectively with a minimum of problems...
the Mac is the best option.

Someday a Mac virus will come along that causes a lot of damage, but that day hasn't come yet.
Unix is more secure than Windows, and Apple stays on top of exploits far better than Microsoft... but the real advantage to mac is the low percentage of Macs online.

Until Mac's represent at least 30% of market share in computer users... you will not have to worry much about getting infected online.

As to multiple OS..
On my one mac I can boot into Mac OS, or access Unix directly.
Holding a key down on start up gives me the option to boot into Mac, Windows XP32, Windows XP64, or even Windows Vista....

But at present I only boot into Vista if I feel like having an experience like needles being shoved into my eyes.

Last edited: