Windows XP vs Vista

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree that its a resource hog, but its good on my 1.8 ghz laptop dual core. I alos run it well on my 3.2 ghz with 2 gig mem. This OS need some space to work in but even with that it lag on certain task like large file tasks and cd and dvd recording.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have never had an XP, i am using my vista laptop now as my only computer.
I have been reliably informed though that there is little benefit if any in having vista...even the name suggests the benefit is simply about the 'look' of it. The ability to view multiple windows at once is a feature i have not even bothered using.
Any decent laptop XP or Vista is a great asset...just a shame it takes 2hrs to charge the battery and only 40mins to drain it!

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i've never got the chance to try Vista but i heard it's horrible...

my laptop crashed a while back and i'm planning on gettin myself a Macbook.

i just hope it lasts me a longer time than my last laptop. stupid Toshiba.

What did you get, Jason?

A little ibook. I love it. Great battery life, quick enough, and rock solid. I use it mostly for travel or sitting on the couch watching the bigscreen. I still use my three other PCs though (like right now). They're all on XP and very happy.

When I get employed again I'll buy two more Macs.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read an industry magazine which carried an article recently which said numerous industrial/commercial/public sector CIOs have let Microsoft know that they are strongly against MS planning to retire XP EVER. They refuse to upgrade to vista for a number of reasons, particularly the need to upgrade both hardware and users.

the article also mentioned that industry has forced computer manufacturers to provide machines with XP rather than Vista. but then, I'm a 30 year Apple user and couldn't really care.

Real friends don't let friends use PCs or Vista. :slap:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I bought my laptop just before Vista launched so an upgrade from XP was part of the deal.Over a year later I still haven't installed Vista because I'll need to have more RAM installed first.
I'm in no rush,once Vista is installed I won't be able to transfer photos directly from my Fuji camera to the laptop. :frown1:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I haven't had to upgrade to vista yet, but might be forced into it eventually, although I'll need a hell of a lot of extra memory before I do so. Colleagues of mine who've bought new PCs and tried to run the software we use on Vista had it uninstalled and replaced with XP within a week. One said it took her two hours to spellcheck a 2,000 word file (as opposed to the usual couple of minutes). Yeah, the software we use is pretty memory heavy, but you'd think that a much higher spec machine would at least match the speed of a three-year old PC. Not when it's running Vista apparently.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Vista is much more complex than Xp. It takes time and a understanding. Things are advancing ever so quickly. Its plug and play features and virtual stack are far superior than Xp and even rival a Mac without the compatabilty issues.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have hope for Vista, but I think it will take sometime to work it out. I however don't think Vista is right for laptops. MAYBE high end ones. I hate how laptops are being "designed" for Windows. I can't put Kubuntu on my laptop because of it. :( If it was designed for Unix in mind, it would be able to run every flavor of linux and possibly OSX! (Macs are Unix based). I wish there were better standards besides "do what Microsoft wants."

I miss you Kubuntu.. :frown:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you buy a Dell or whatever, as much as you pay for it, run the most up to date OS with all the bells and whistles. Get as many features as affordable too. That said, a Mac runs OS X only for me. Vista Ultimate for a new OEM. For a build, I use Ubuntu Studio 8.04 and it's upgraded every 6 months to the newest release, but having XP that transfers over to the new computer as well. One license, one system.

Linux, stable and reliable OS with a 3d desktop, every application for free, Open Office 3 will support Office 2007 file formats come September when it's released. I see no reason to buy a Microsoft product for awhile in my home. Don't worry though, I spend what I save on gasoline and food. :wink:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well I remember 95 and 98 and I rather reluctantly switched from those. (Truth is, I lost those machines in the flood so I had to buy a new one).

The Dell XPS I have runs XP, but I've changed the settings to display everything like the 98 version with detailed lists instead of those fancy smansy icons ("classic" start menu, it's called) and I do most of my file management via the old windows explorer menu page (that split image screen with the drives and folders on one side and the details on the other).

We recently bought a newer laptop and it has Vista on it. I call it "Windows for dummies".