Wis. father on trial in girl's faith-healing death

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wis. father on trial in girl's faith-healing death

By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer Robert Imrie, Associated Press Writer – Sat Jul 25, 7:56 am ET
WAUSAU, Wis. – Opening statements were set to begin Saturday in the trial of a father charged with second-degree reckless homicide for praying instead of seeking medical help for his gravely ill 11-year-old daughter.Dale Neumann's wife, Leilani, was convicted of the same charge this spring in the 2008 death of Madeline Neumann, called Kara by her parents.The girl died from undiagnosed diabetes on March 23, 2008, surrounded by people praying at the family's rural home in Weston in central Wisconsin. Someone called 911 when she stopped breathing.Leilani Neumann, 41, faces up to 25 years in prison when sentenced Oct. 6.Prosecutors contend Dale Neumann, 47, recklessly killed the youngest of his four children by ignoring her deteriorating health. They claim the girl was too weak to speak, eat, drink or walk and that Neumann had a legal duty to take her to a doctor.

An Oregon jury on Thursday convicted a father of misdemeanor criminal mistreatment for relying on prayer instead of seeking medical care for his 15-month-old daughter who died of pneumonia and a blood infection in March 2008. The father and mother were acquitted of a more serious manslaughter charge.In the Wisconsin case, Assistant District Attorney LaMont Jacobson said Neumann's trial likely won't differ much from his wife's.Doctors testified at the first trial that Madeline's gradually declining health would have gotten acute three or four days before she died as her body began shutting down. But despite being unresponsive and in a coma, the girl could have been saved very late into the day of her death with the proper treatment, the doctors said.Leilani Neumann said during videotaped testimony that the family believes the Bible says healing comes from God and that she never expected her daughter to die. The Neumanns said the girl had not been to a doctor since she was 3.The Neumanns have said the family does not belong to an organized religion.

This makes me so angry and sad at the same time. Diabetes is one of the most treatable diseases there is. I hate to poke fun at anothers beliefs; but this was a stupid and unnecessary death. :mad:

Yes, I believe that God has the power to heal; but I also believe he gave us doctors, nurses, and EMT's to act as his angels here on earth. Prescription drugs such as insulin, nitroglycerin, or zoloft are here to assist these earthbound angels.

I was raised in a Christian home as you may have guessed; but one of the things which was also emphasized at church and home was that 'God helps those who help themselves' and sometimes you have to meet him half way. You can't just sit on your behind waiting for God to do everything for you. Sometimes you need to go out and create your own miracles. :mad: :irked:

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If adults want to gamble their own lives in a test of THEIR FAITH, it's their right and they can have at it. To gamble a non-consenting child's life as a test of the PARENTS' FAITH is criminal, in my opinion. Of course, they probably draw their justification/rationalization from the story of Abraham.
Dave

UpwardCurve

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This reminds me of an anecodote that will smith's son said in the movie"Pursuit of Happiness" about a guy drowning and he prayed that God would save him, and several people in boats came by, but he rejected their help, since he believed God would save him directly, and when he finally died, he asked God why he didnt help, and God said "what are you talking about i sent you all the help you needed!"

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Religion is inherently delusional.
ANY credence given it will always lead some minority into giving religious idiocy FULL and ABSOLUTE credence.

The only solution to this kind of thing is for folks to STOP indoctrinating their children with religious claptrap.

It is high time that any reasonably intelligent human being be made to feel too embarrassed to even admit to religious belief.

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
http://whatstheharm.net is a database of similar instances of the harm caused by any variety of superstitious practices and beliefs, including numerous criminal acts of child neglect by religious zealots.

You may choose to believe anything you wish. Your beliefs end where your child's nose begins. Failing to care for a grievously ill child is as criminal as beating him to death. (The second perpetrator of criminal infant abuse this year is about to be charged in my community.)