Wisconsin Democrats

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Summary of Wisconsin state powers to compel attendance of absent members
'Summary of Wisconsin state powers to compel attendance of absent members

The Senate, and Only the Senate, May Act to Enforce the Duty of Attendance: Article IV, § 8 provides that "each house may determine the rules of its own proceedings, [and] punish for contempt and disorderly behavior." On Wednesday, March 2, the Circuit Court of Oconto County found that Senator Holperin violated hisplain and positive duty to attend Senate Sessions, as provided in Senate Rule 16, but then held that the Senate, and only the Senate, had the right and obligation to enforce the rule of attendance.'

In other words, the missing legislators were rightfully fined for each day of non-attendance, but no other measures were legal against them, including taking a vote without quorum. Nor could they be ousted from elected office and their votes not counted.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
but they could have been forced to attend had they remained within the State boundaries.

Yes, and so--? you and I will disagree on whether they did the right thing, so let us leave it at that. All legislation passed while they were not present will be overturned. I am certain of this.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Sufficient for what? Evidence of what? I haven't visited this thread in ages. Would mind putting this in some context? :rolleyes:

No, seriously, never mind. I visited your unknown website where some anonymous poster named "nautico" posed some ill-framed questions to an anonymous, uncredentialed responder named "scriptor", who replied in some barely legible text. His response begins with:
"Hello nautico!

This is not (yet) an answer since American laws are not exactly my field of expertise. . . . "
I have no idea what you're driving at here. I'm just sorry I wasted this much time on it.

They left the State to avoid being forced to attend by Wisconsin State Troopers, not just to have a fun vacation in Indiana!!
Thanks for the news flash, Capt. Obvious. :rolleyes: (And they were 'having fun' in Illinois, not Indiana.)

In other news, after hearing initial testimony Judge Sumi has extended indefinitely her stay preventing enforcement of the law the Republican legislature rammed through in violation of the open meetings law.
The next scheduled hearing date is May 23.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I swear... nothing sucks more than watching people spouting endless ideology without the ability to put together all of the dots within a political or societal topic. Too much emphasis on symbolism instead of substance. Granted, both have their relevance but sometimes one needs to precede the other in order to provide a clearer picture.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The writer of this article works for the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute so forgive me if I believe he is a bit biased.

Wisconsin Policy Research Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wisconsin Policy Research Institute is a non-profit conservative think tank advocating free market economics in the state of Wisconsin. The organization is based in Hartland, Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee.