Wish Nick8 A Get Well Soon!

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Jason Els -- my love!:

pssst... this is a secret post between you and me!

Beware this new poster "LargePenis46".

My instincts tell me he is the reincarnated guy who called himself BiggerInTexas8 last week. BiggerInTexas8 was on this site for a total of three days before getting banned -- and in that three day period he racked up a whopping 148 posts, most negative, some directed at you (as you will no doubt recall).

This new guy, LargePenis46, joined the site... uh, yesterday...7/8/09, and has racked up a mind-numbing 80 posts so far in less than a 24-hour period.

You do the math.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Jason Els -- my love!:

pssst... this is a secret post between you and me!

Beware this new poster "LargePenis46".

My instincts tell me he is the reincarnated guy who called himself BiggerInTexas8 last week. BiggerInTexas8 was on this site for a total of three days before getting banned -- and in that three day period he racked up a whopping 148 posts, most negative, some directed at you (as you will no doubt recall).

This new guy, LargePenis46, joined the site... uh, yesterday...7/8/09, and has racked up a mind-numbing 80 posts so far in less than a 24-hour period.

You do the math.

Oh no not that one again! ack! Talk about insulting!:eek:

You mean as opposed to the 50s/60s movies that do the same thing...ala A Summer PLace etc....:wink:

Yeah, actually. The 30s and 40s cranked out a very specific type of melodramatic film designed to appeal to women. These were called, weepies. Usually the protagonist is either an ingenue who consorts unknowingly/innocently with bad people or a woman with a shameful past. These women are basically good women who go bad for one reason or another, usually due to the most sordid or ridiculous of reasons. Whatever it is, they royally fuck-up and spend the rest of the film redeeming themselves in the eyes of the male patriarchy. If they die in the process of regaining their lost honor, all the better and more noble.

The reason this struck me is that Garland's character goes to work at what passed in 1959 for a mental institution for children. She's clearly down on her luck, is noticeably single, and not a mother. She disagrees with the doctor's approach to helping the children and takes an interest in a terribly lonely child who Cassavetes deliberately makes into the most pathetic character in film since the baby Barbara Stanwyck accidentally killed in Night Nurse. Once again, a woman is shown the errors of her ways by the more intelligent man and she is redeemed by submitting to the doctor's authority, "for the good of the children."

Cassavetes actually has a good message in the film; "retarded" children belong in mainstream society, not institutions, but the melodrama is too thick and obvious. On Parents' Day the cars of the parents dutifully drive onto the institution grounds on cue, and they leave on cue. The college educated white couple are dubious neglectful parents while the poor single "colored" woman knows all there is to know about her child's disability. The doctor is a maverick with untried methods, misunderstood by his board of directors holding on to his job precariously. And like Addams Family Values, all is resolved during a Thanksgiving Day pagent.

It's a bit much.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, actually. The 30s and 40s cranked out a very specific type of melodramatic film designed to appeal to women. These were called, weepies. Usually the protagonist is either an ingenue who consorts unknowingly/innocently with bad people or a woman with a shameful past. These women are basically good women who go bad for one reason or another, usually due to the most sordid or ridiculous of reasons. Whatever it is, they royally fuck-up and spend the rest of the film redeeming themselves in the eyes of the male patriarchy. If they die in the process of regaining their lost honor, all the better and more noble.

The reason this struck me is that Garland's character goes to work at what passed in 1959 for a mental institution for children. She's clearly down on her luck, is noticeably single, and not a mother. She disagrees with the doctor's approach to helping the children and takes an interest in a terribly lonely child who Cassavetes deliberately makes into the most pathetic character in film since the baby Barbara Stanwyck accidentally killed in Night Nurse. Once again, a woman is shown the errors of her ways by the more intelligent man and she is redeemed by submitting to the doctor's authority, "for the good of the children."

Cassavetes actually has a good message in the film; "retarded" children belong in mainstream society, not institutions, but the melodrama is too thick and obvious. On Parents' Day the cars of the parents dutifully drive onto the institution grounds on cue, and they leave on cue. The college educated white couple are dubious neglectful parents while the poor single "colored" woman knows all there is to know about her child's disability. The doctor is a maverick with untried methods, misunderstood by his board of directors holding on to his job precariously. And like Addams Family Values, all is resolved during a Thanksgiving Day pagent.

It's a bit much.

Melodrama can be good sometimes. Some of those 'message' movies that were melodramas probably wouldn't even had a chance to get made if a certain star or director hadn't fought to be in them. Even as melodrama perhaps they paved the way for filmmakers to ok more even keeled representations of human drama. Even to this day it's hard to find a movie like that where the music doesn't swell. All of that is intended to manipulate an audience. Even still even Children's Hour was better made then than never at all even if it brushed the main topic.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Hells and Jason:

You guys need to see some good classic movies!

Start with Tennessee Williams. He's the best playwright from the 20th century, and his stories are always interesting.

There's rape and madness ("Streetcar Named Desire"), Paul Newman's a gay closet case - ex-football star - and an alcoholic ("Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"), gigolos and castration ("Sweet Bird of Youth"), lobotomy, and a homosexual poet who gets cannibalized by the teenaged boys he preyed upon ("Suddenly Last Summer").

Here's Elizabeth Taylor who watches helplessly as cousin Sebastian is overtaken by these island hoodlums and eaten:

YouTube - Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) 11/11

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hells and Jason:

Start with Tennessee Williams. He's the best playwright from the 20th century, and his stories are always interesting.

There's rape and madness ("Streetcar Named Desire"), Paul Newman's a gay closet case - ex-football star - and an alcoholic ("Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"), gigolos and castration ("Sweet Bird of Youth"), lobotomy, and a homosexual poet who gets cannibalized by the teenaged boys he preyed upon ("Suddenly Last Summer").

Here's Elizabeth Taylor who watches helplessly as cousin Sebastian is overtaken by these island hoodlums and eaten:

TW is my fave. I even got to act in some of his stuff w/an ex Warhol person in A Night in a Tokyo Bar. I just got the Letters to Maria St. Just. I love all the anecdotal stuff about him. There isn't anything by him or about him I wouldn't read.

Hells and Jason:

Seen all of them many times except Sweet Bird of Youth. I didn't name them because they're far above formula Hollywood. It's Tennessee Williams for chrissakes! My great disappointment (and also my great admiration) is that the Almighty Production Code was in effect at the time and so all these issues had to presented via code and innuendo.

You seem to have good taste in film. I'm impressed and attracted.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

I just watched the whole thing on YouTube. Extraordinary film.
I understand Gore Vidal, who cowrote the screenplay with Williams, does a cameo, but I missed him.
Willtom, do you (or anyone else) know exactly where he pops up?

There isn't anything by him or about him I wouldn't read.
Have you read any of the short stories, Hells?
Not quite as gothic as the plays, but weirdly powerful.

According to Wikipedia, Vidal is one of the physicians watching the lobotomy in the beginning. Also appearing in that scene is Williams' lover, Frank Merlo. Believe it or not, Eddie Fisher has a cameo too. He's one of the boys chasing Liz Taylor.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I really hope we don't have a surge of these, "Get well" threads every time someone gets the sniffles. I mean, it really bastardizes the sympathy of the site and I actually think it makes the sympathy seem less sincere.

No, I haven't taken any offense to your comments. I've known you long enough to know you're a sincere person. Perhaps I was over eager to do something for Nick8 when he's done so much for me. If this thread offends anyone, that wasn't my intention. I hadn't considered that it might spawn more of the same though I don't see anything wrong with that. My get well thread has been of enormous help to me. It's a huge morale booster. I thought maybe some of that same support might help him. I guess it comes down to not reading or commenting on threads you don't like or are indifferent to. I do see what you mean however and will consider it in the future before posting.

I think your posting the thread was a marvelous idea jason and I hope you won't be deterred from posting such threads in the future...

So we can spread a little love and share. Show someone we care
and give them their flowers while they are still living
and let them know we cared. :grinning-smiley-003

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
JJ sometimes you are SUCH a dickwad. I went to Nicks tnite and the guy can hardly stand up. Yet you come around w/your usual "Ican ssay what I want! It's a public forum! I have a sense of humor!" This time you're being a DICKWAD! ok. DICK-WADD! Put yr probs aside w/Nick and wish him well and stop being a baby.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm always the last one to find these threads (OK - I admit it, I'm usually preoccupied with the threads that are actually about big dicks...).
Ahhhhh - Nick8 - victim of the Summer cold. They always say Summer colds are the worst. Everyone I know seems to be sick. My allergies have been worse this year than ever. I've been living on Benadryl & Sudafed. My skin is a mess of rashes, hives, and insufferable itching. I have to wear a Breathe Right strip every night just to breathe (not the most romantically conductive sight...).
It's been an odd Summer thus far here in the northeast. ...Barely climing out of the 70's in July. Rain almost every day. Everyone feeling like dogshet. Global economic chaos. Michael Jackson & Farrah Fawcett pass away on the same day. Daniel Radcliffe didn't get a Tony nomination. Barack Obama has Hillary Clinton's job.
Something's just awry with the world, I tell You!. Is it global warming? Is it the dawning of the Age of Aquarius? Who knows...
Feel better Mr. 8.
:smile:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

DAMN...Hateful much??

Actually, that was a good wish. Fuck flu is what the newly HIV+ get when first infected (if they were infected by having sex), about three weeks following their infection. To wish someone doesn't have it is a good sentiment.

rickygNOLA

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Actually, that was a good wish. Fuck flu is what the newly HIV+ get when first infected (if they were infected by having sex), about three weeks following their infection. To wish someone doesn't have it is a good sentiment.

Well, thank God for that, I thought he was trying to be really catty...am still not 100% sure he wasn't. You're much nicer than I am.

Anyway, tell Nick I hope he feels better. Thx.

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, thank God for that, I thought he was trying to be really catty...am still not 100% sure he wasn't. You're much nicer than I am.

Anyway, tell Nick I hope he feels better. Thx.
Well Jason was there w/him all day. I came later and tried to force feed him chicken soup....ok Jason and I ate chocolate cake at the same time..but really...we tried to help him! Mmmm phlegm...........