With the stock market down so much, post your "buy!"

Thedrewbert

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
With the stock market down so much, I'm watching some stocks have have gone into major "BUY!" territory. I don't buy stocks for long term price growth, I tend to pick very steady stocks that pay a nice dividend. Some stocks have been pulled way down in the current vacuum that don't deserve to be.

One of my long term favorites is GTY, a gas related REIT. They normally trade in the upper $20s, but as of close today they are down to $16.50. It is also pretty consistent with a $1.98 a share dividend. I have owned this stock in the past, but do not currently own any.

Any that you have spotted?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I still hold a grudge toward all my loved ones who wouldn't listen to me and purchased Apple Stock back in 1999 when it was only $5. Even during a threat of a double recession, this is a stock that has managed to stay afloat in a major way. So much in fact, that it's now challenging Exxon as being the richest company.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
I generally only buy the market, or do arbitrage bets - stocks can be a sucker's game, though I still think gold is still a 2 year buy at least - I keep adding.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any established gas company in the long term - just don't leverage yourself - steer clear of banks& insurance, retail, property renters etc. Companies that own & produce food, commodities, water, or are guaranteed subsidies are better buys.

Spread the risk, & don't go in too hard.

Nothing looks particularly cheap to me at the moment - beware of sucker's rallies - like I said, if you can't help yourself, go in lightly.

D

deleted15807

The market has become a form of legalized gambling these days. Don't invest if you can't afford to lose it. It's pretty clear it is owned and run by hedge funds.

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I still hold a grudge toward all my loved ones who wouldn't listen to me and purchased Apple Stock back in 1999 when it was only $5. Even during a threat of a double recession, this is a stock that has managed to stay afloat in a major way. So much in fact, that it's now challenging Exxon as being the richest company.

I know what you mean. I had to convince my broker to buy apple when it was 12 a share. By the time he did it it was 19.00. I'm glad I stuck to my gut feelingsnon this one. Doing the math makes me smile.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
The market has become a form of legalized gambling these days. Don't invest if you can't afford to lose it. It's pretty clear it is owned and run by hedge funds.

That's why I normally don't get involved in individual stocks. Once you know how market makers work...well it's a mugs game, especially with smaller companies.

I'm pretty succesful, because I'm quite disciplined, & have a complete plan for anything I do, & don't jump in before the price I want, & even if it hits it early, I get suspicious:biggrin1: & leave it a while. Of course I learned the hard way years ago!:tongue: Seriously, you can forget technical analysis, other than sticking a ruler against a graph - it works just as well!

It's a game, but a game of patience. BTW, insurance is legalized gambling too! Odds assessed, payoff triangles, VIG! It's one of the few services that should really be run entirely by the state IMO, it's entirely about the public acting as a community to insure each other's welfare as well as their own...

But no one ever says that eh? You should see the terror premiums insurers pay to the Government. Derisory - like about $1,000 - a joke.

Thedrewbert

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
See I don't play the stock market for major growth gains. I just want something that pays a reliable dividend and remains relatively stable over time. That GTY stock is one that I've kept my eye on for a while, and it's just screaming "buy" with it's $1.98 dividend at $16.50 a share. I grow my portfolio value more conservatively by automatically reinvesting dividends and doing dollar cost averaging.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know what you mean. I had to convince my broker to buy apple when it was 12 a share. By the time he did it it was 19.00. I'm glad I stuck to my gut feelingsnon this one. Doing the math makes me smile.

Especially if you still have stock now that's it's worth more than $300+ a share. :cool:

closetfreak

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I doubled my cash making short sales on index funds during the first crash. As long as you have the time and money to invest, it can usually pay off. Some of my long-term investments haven't been doing good although my 401k is down 'only' 3%

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Baked beans. In tins.

Anyone trying to make a quick buck in today's market is gambling. The swings are enormous and pretty much defy explanation. Sanity dictates a balanced portfolio including cash (or gold!) - though right now I wouldn't touch the euro or anything euro denominated.

My personal view is that we are going to hear soon a big new economic policy from Germany, and that Germany will suddenly forge ahead. I've also faith in the UK economy over the next few years, but slow growth rather than a big rise. Australia and Canada look promising.

But I'm probably wrong!

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I cant help thinking it more accurate to say the only difference between the UK and Italy is 12 months. Markets are voracious and need victims to survive. As each god dies, so the next becomes the target. Germany will not survive the deaths of the others.