Woman=singular, Women=PLURAL!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC, how about this? I will disseminate spankings and you can inseminate them! Thanks for the mnemonic.

Marley, Malcolm X used to say that vulgarities weakened the strength of otherwise Powerful speech. So have some fucking respect!

I don't think I'll be giving any powerful-ass motherfuckin' speeches any damn time soon so I'll be a shitfaced fool if I'ma stop cussin!!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC, how about this? I will disseminate spankings and you can inseminate them! Thanks for the mnemonic.
That works for me!

I can't wait until I get the chance to give you a great big crushing bear hug!

(And you are just full of surprises, by the way. I just read in one thread or another that you are 5'9". I had imagined much shorter! And your voice on the phone is nothing like I had imagined, either.)

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hmm, this is the best I can do: A before E; something has to affect (verb) you before it has an effect (noun) on you.

Actually, DC, it's not that simple, sadly. Affect can be a noun-- as in, The patient displayed flat affect" or a verb, as in "His words didn't affect me." Effect can be both noun and verb, as in, "He effected a change" (verb) or "The effect was stunning" (noun).

There are countless web pages on this. It's a subject that's very effective at making my affect more depressed.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, DC, it's not that simple, sadly. Affect can be a noun-- as in, The patient displayed flat affect" or a verb, as in "His words didn't affect me." Effect can be both noun and verb, as in, "He effected a change" (verb) or "The effect was stunning" (noun).

There are countless web pages on this. It's a subject that's very effective at making my affect more depressed.
"Affect" as a noun is a bit archaic, according to Webster's. "Effected a change" is a little different, though. I think the original conundrum was "when do I use 'affect' and when do I use 'effect.'" For general purpose usage, the a/verb e/noun rule of thumb usually works well enough.

And if you continue to be so contumacious and contumelious, I'll forego tawsing your palm, and go straight for your clittie.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, this is the best I can do: A before E; something has to affect (verb) you before it has an effect (noun) on you.

WifeOfBath is quite right, of course, but DC's rule will do for English 101. Let people master the most frequent uses of "affect" and "effect," and then they can move on to the less common ones.

"Affect" as a noun is a bit archaic, according to Webster's.

I would say that it is not so much archaic as academic, or specialized: it is a perfectly common term in psychology. Luckily, since it's pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, it's not a homophone of any of the others.

Tickled Pink

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Ooooh - you are just so intelligent I go all soggy!!

I have also noticed a number of people spelling 'bored' as 'board', and using 'while' instead of 'whilst'.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i'm not sure, but I think "whilst" isn't in common usage in the US. I've only seen it from people who speak British English.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Continuously versus continually.
Something that happens continuously happens over and over without a break.
Something that happens continually happens on a repeated basis (with breaks implied).

Principal versus Principle. One is a person, the other is a ideal.

Rediculous versus ridiculous. Rediculous is NOT a word. The root word is ridicule.

Amount versus number
. If it can be counted, it is a number of things. If it can be measured, it is an amount of something. A number of DVDs were sold. An amount of beer was spilled.

i.e., versus e.g.

i.e. = that is and is used for a specific clarification. e.g. = for example and is typically used to cite a number of examples of something.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Ooooh - you are just so intelligent I go all soggy!!

I have also noticed a number of people spelling 'bored' as 'board', and using 'while' instead of 'whilst'.

Confusing bored for board is unconscionable.

However, in North American English (NAmE) while is preferred to whilst and considered correct usage. In addition, you'll note that NAmE uses "ed" endings for the definite and indefinite past: for example, learned instead of learnt.

But if you're from the UK, New Zealand, or an Aussie the Standard British Usage most often prevails.

Out in the Wild and Woolly West, it's common to hear people without a penis called "wimmin" as in "It's just another dumb wimmin's issue." Just as 'Mericuhns (one rarely hears the letter A at the beginning of that designation) are prone to pronounce been as bin: So, how ya bin?

As for me, I've bin "absolutely brill!" Thanks. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Continuously versus continually.
<...>
Principal versus Principle. One is a person, the other is a ideal.
<...>
Rediculous versus ridiculous.
<...>
Amount versus number.
<...>
i.e., versus e.g.
And
i. e. versus nee.
I. e. (id est, Latin "that is") - namely, in other words, for example. Nee (from French, "born") the original name of the person of reference, usually used to designate a woman's maiden name.

Capitol versus capital: capitol usually refers specifically to a building. Most other uses require "capital." Capital city, capital idea, capital wealth, capital letter, capital punishment.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
disassociate vs. dissociate.

i think the former is acceptable now, but i think it's just a bastardization of the latter. it sounds stupid anyway.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
disassociate vs. dissociate.

i think the former is acceptable now, but i think it's just a bastardization of the latter. it sounds stupid anyway.

Not at all. The Oxford English Dictionary has quotations for "disassociate" from as far back as 1603, "dissociate" only from 1628: the former is not derived from the latter, and may in fact be the older of the two. In any case, both words have been in the English language for approximately 400 years.

I agree, on the other hand, with your judgment on the point of style: "disassociate" is a needless word when we have a shorter one that does the same job.