Women alone in restaurants

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Do any other women feel uncomfortable going to restaurnts at night by themselves?
I have gone to my favourite restaurnt for lunch by myself before but the other night I had decided that even though I'm single I was going dine out.
Little did I realize what an uncomfortable evening I was in for.
The head waiter greeted me at the door and looked around to see if I was accompanied.
He seemed perplexed when I informed him that "Madame" would be dining alone tonight thanks!
The ritual of seating a lady was carried out and I asked that the spare chair at the table be removed. (this is something that I have done during my lunch time visits as it discourages the executives and high end legal brains who have had liquid lunches from joining me).
The head waiter gave a theatrical grimace as he took the offending chair away.
But what struck me was just how boring it was...the wine did help but with out conversation or the lack of props to fiddle with, rearranging the table setting several times only goes so far towards filling your time when your sitting there by yourself waiting for your entree to arrive.
It was a very uncomfortable feeling being there on my own, and I don't think I will be dining there alone at night again.

Is this a normal reaction for women when dining out alone?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've never dined alone at night but I'd think I'd feel the same as you. Lunch alone is fine although I prefer to eat with someone, but occasionally on solo shopping trips it's unavoidable. Perhaps part of it was your own mindset - having lunch alone you often just want to re-fuel and get back to what you were doing, but when you go out for dinner your mind is expecting to enjoy it.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do any other women feel uncomfortable going to restaurnts at night by themselves?
I have gone to my favourite restaurnt for lunch by myself before but the other night I had decided that even though I'm single I was going dine out.
Little did I realize what an uncomfortable evening I was in for.
The head waiter greeted me at the door and looked around to see if I was accompanied.
He seemed perplexed when I informed him that "Madame" would be dining alone tonight thanks!
The ritual of seating a lady was carried out and I asked that the spare chair at the table be removed. (this is something that I have done during my lunch time visits as it discourages the executives and high end legal brains who have had liquid lunches from joining me).
The head waiter gave a theatrical grimace as he took the offending chair away.
But what struck me was just how boring it was...the wine did help but with out conversation or the lack of props to fiddle with, rearranging the table setting several times only goes so far towards filling your time when your sitting there by yourself waiting for your entree to arrive.
It was a very uncomfortable feeling being there on my own, and I don't think I will be dining there alone at night again.

Is this a normal reaction for women when dining out alone?

I have this reaction as a male :-/

softly

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I never dine alone, maybe lunch sometimes, but yeah, it's uncomfortable.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yup, that is unfortunately standard operating procedure even in better restaurants. I had a job where I traveled all over the US alone for 4 years. At first I would just order room service, but that quickly got old so I would always bring a book or magazine or in some instances paperwork. I thought if I looked like I was working or relaxing with a good book and a few glasses of wine then I wouldn't look like a lonely loser. :redface:

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't like to eat alone. It makes me feel like people are staring at me, and I get bored not having anyone to talk to. If I want something from a resturaunt and don't have anyone to go with, I will just order it to-go. I'm one of those people that doesn't really like to do anything or to go anywhere alone!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I'm eating alone, I'll just talk to myself to keep myself company. It also has the added benefit of discouraging too many women from hitting on me.

e_a_s_t

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah I don't think I would enjoy dining out alone at a nice restaurant. I can see how it might be akward sitting there alone waiting for your meal with nothing to do. I have however gone to fast food restaurants or something similar (ie not a major chain) alone, and it was no big deal. I just think that dining out, especially in a nice restaurant, is a social experience.

gimme_another_inch

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I'm eating alone, I'll just talk to myself to keep myself company. It also has the added benefit of discouraging too many women from hitting on me.

you should then change your sex behavior in your profile :wink:

never happened to me, sometimes I go seat by the bar during the summertime when lot of people are around and until I finish the first (heavy) drink I don't feel that confortable...
I think in my case is some sort of what somebody calls "social phobia" or, as I call it, "not a lot of self esteem" but I definitely prefer to have somebody sharing the table with me, I love to talk :biggrin1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find dining alone in chain restaurants to be the easiest. Places like TGIFriday's, AppleBee's, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden are best. I realize this is not fine dining; but when you travel for a living taking a chance on food poisoning by dining on the local cuisine is not the smart thing to do. :tongue:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I love dining here because the food is devine and the evening menu is diffrent to the lunch menu.
There seems to be a real social stigma attatched to dining of an evening by yourself.
I almost felt like standing on my chair and announcing to the room that I was here by myself and I wasn't stood up by a date.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
that's how i feel too. if it's fast food i don't have a problem with it but if i go to an actual restaurant...yeah, i probably wouldn't. if i was in that situation i'd be texting or i'd take a book, word search (how nerdy, i know). just something to keep myself occupied. :smile:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've never dined alone at night but I'd think I'd feel the same as you. Lunch alone is fine although I prefer to eat with someone, but occasionally on solo shopping trips it's unavoidable. Perhaps part of it was your own mindset - having lunch alone you often just want to re-fuel and get back to what you were doing, but when you go out for dinner your mind is expecting to enjoy it.

I'm the same. I can eat lunch alone - a break from work, take a book etc but dinner in a restaurant? No. The only occasional exceptions would be if:
  1. I know the owner
  2. I'm not in the UK - I know, it's a bit weird but I'm more open to meeting people when outside the UK and if I want to sample the local cusine, what choice do I have.
I once went to see a movie on my own, It was awful. Never again.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I guess I am a weirdo - I love dining alone - regardless of the time of day or location - breakfast, lunch, dinner, elevenses in a cafe. All good. Don't get me wrong - I love dining with company too. The two experiences don't compare for me - they are just different.

When I am alone in a restaurant I'll read, watch (and listen to) the other diners, watch the waiting staff, or just sit and daydream - I love daydreaming and dining alone affords excellent oportunities for that.

I once went to see a movie on my own, It was awful. Never again.

I also love going to the cinema alone - now that I do prefer (slightly) to going with company - especially an early showing when the cinema is half empty - there is something so indulgent about sitting in a near empty cinema munching popcorn while the rest of the world is at work - I love it.

I don't know what the difference is - I'm sure I'm not the only person who is comfortable with their own company, nor am I alone in not giving a toss what others think (in fact when I'm out alone it rarely crosses my mind). I did a lot of travelling alone when I was younger - as did both my parents who also enjoy dining out alone now I think about it. Hmmmmm.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I guess I am a weirdo - I love dining alone - regardless of the time of day or location - breakfast, lunch, dinner, elevenses in a cafe.

Maybe, but I'm there are plenty of other, equally valid reasons too.

When I am alone in a restaurant I'll read, watch (and listen to) the other diners, watch the waiting staff, or just sit and daydream - I love daydreaming and dining alone affords excellent oportunities for that.

Me too, but only at lunchtime, perhaps because for me dinner is a shared meal so eating it alone underscores that I am in fact at that time, alone.

I also love going to the cinema alone - now that I do prefer (slightly) to going with company - especially an early showing when the cinema is half empty - there is something so indulgent about sitting in a near empty cinema munching popcorn while the rest of the world is at work - I love it.

Weirdo.This seems to be 'female' thing though I'm sure many will disagree.:tongue:

I don't know what the difference is - I'm sure I'm not the only person who is comfortable with their own company, nor am I alone in not giving a toss what others think (in fact when I'm out alone it rarely crosses my mind). I did a lot of travelling alone when I was younger - as did both my parents who also enjoy dining out alone now I think about it. Hmmmmm.

I'm not afraid of my own company at all. I have done a lot of travelling and then different rules apply. When travelling interaction with others is part of the reason for travelling. At home I don't usually feel that way.

I just prefer, on the whole when in the presence of my own company, to do be physically alone. Naturally that's not always possible. Maybe I'm the weirdo.