Women and prenups

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Gecko4lif, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Would you marry a women who wouldnt marry you if you wanted a prenup?

I personally see them like condoms. I view women who wouldnt agree to the it the same way as I view women who dont use condoms. I find it extremely suspect.

(and vice versa for women who want prenups and men who dont)

What about you?

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Well, if she wouldn't marry me if I wanted a pre-nup, then I guess we wouldn't marry.

If I met a fabulously wealthy woman who wanted a pre-nup, I wouldn't have any issue with that, unless marrying her forced me to give up my own financial independence, I would be happy to go back to what I had before.

I've never actually seen a pre-nup, I presume they cover the fact that for younger people, the woman may have to take a serious career break for the benefit of the kids.

I personally think that marriage needs to stop being a property contract and get in line with the new civil partnerships. In the old days, we had betrothals which seem very much like a prenup.

3. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I would totally sign a pre-nup for my current partner. Without even blinking.

4. Viking_UK

Gold Member

I can see both sides of the argument. He's rich and wants a prenup to protect himself if the relationship goes sour. She sees the fact that he wants a prenup as a sign that he doesn't expect the relationship to last. (Or vice versa.)

For me, it would depend on who the other person was and how I felt about them and also what the conditions of the prenup were, not to mention how much I stood to lose or gain. If I thought the relationship was going to last I'd have no qualms about signing. However, if I wanted one and my partner didn't, I'd start to question their motivation, and when you begin to do that, unless you can resolve the issue fairly quickly, the relationship is doomed.

Perhaps the answer would be for everyone to have a prenup as a matter of course. If it's part of getting married, everyone does it and you all know where you stand should it go sour, and you don't suddenly have the love of your life threatening to call it all off at the last minute if he/she doesn't get their own way.

Draft saved Draft deleted