Women - do a man's clothes matter?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by RandyL, Oct 24, 2007.

1. RandyL

RandyL New Member

I'm the sort of guy who likes to wear blue jeans and T shirts and sneakers. Very casual. I don't like dressing up in slacks, khakis, shirts with buttons, or whatever else unless something specifically requires it.

I've been out on dates through dating sites with women, but second dates haven't come as often as first dates. One woman, who turned out to be a total bitch when I met her, said I wasn't dressed up enough for her. The T shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers I was wearing were BRAND NEW!!!!!

All from K-Mart, but new nonetheless.

So my question for the ladies here is: If you meet a man, do you judge him by his clothes or by who he is? Now I'd understand if he was wearing old or dirty or otherwise messed up clothes, but I mean aside from that.

Or to ask the question this way - if you saw 2 guys who were identical twins, and one had on a nice T shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers, and the other one has on a button dress shirt and khakis and dress shoes, would you immediately be attracted to one over the other simply because of the clothes?

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a little shallow but yes, they do.

And I'll bet money that it was the shoes more than the jeans or T-shirt that lowered the women's estimation of you. Women look at shoes, it's a fact.

I think for the most part women want to feel as though the man wants to impress us on a first date. Sneakers just don't give that impression.

Exceptions are if the date is playing frisbee, a nature walk or you know she's really into rap and you have on the latest blinding Nikes. For dinner or a movie you'll score more points by wearing some form of casual shoe, many of which are just as comfortable or moreso than many athletic shoes.

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

To a degree, yes... I don't necessarily judge a man based on his clothes, but I know if a guy took me out on a first date dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes, I'd just be under the impression that he didn't care enough about the date to take time to look nice. BUT... even with a pair of black dress shoes, you can dress up jeans and a t-shirt. :smile:

4. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

I think for the most part women do look at what you wear. they also look at what you are draping clothes over. if you have nice clothes and your body is a POS, points deducted. I am tall, thin, but muscular. I put on my 501 Levi's with my cowboy boots, and a nice clean colored T-shirt in the summer, and I am good to go. I fill a pair of Levis nicely, ladies will pinch my ass in a bar, and several of my wife's friends want to fuck me. I am not too interested in them however. I have not changed much in 30 years. I dress very basic, and part of that reason is they do not make many clothes to fit me. Tall clothing is most of the time also cut for big. I am not big. I am tall, 6'5" 205 lbs. so many times these clothes hang off me, way too big. I was never a clothes "horse".

5. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^ What Gillette said.

Also --

Women aren't just assessing physical attractiveness -- they're judging...

(a) the "wooing factor" (is he romantic or into the "little touches")
    (b) the financial factor (that dressed down for a first date screams, "I didn't go to college or trade school and can't support a family")
    (c) it also screams, "girl, you're not important now, so you'll never be important to me"

If I were you, I'd re-think your dressing strategy for a date...

Or, if the above IS what you want to tell a girl, go ahead and keep dressing in the same fashion. That way, a girl wont be disappointed when she finds out that she's NOT important to you, that you'll never give her flowers, and that you expect her to support you while you sit around on the couch making a mess for her to clean up when she gets home from work.

(Sorry to be so blunt, but girls actually DO think this way.):wink:

6. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    (sorry - but sneakers on a date.... ESPECIALLY a first date.... :eek::eek::eek:)

7. Principessa

Gold Member

ROTFLMAO :confused::biggrin1::eek: Damn! You are either incredibly naive or incredibly obtuse. I suppose it's possible you could be both. :rolleyes:
    How old are you? Were you raised by wolves? Do you not own a tv? How could you not know that, "Every Woman Loves a Sharp Dressed Man!"

Unless she has already agreed that your first date will be horseback riding or some equally outdoorsy activity your prefered attire is inappropriate for a first date or even speed dating. DUH! :nono:
    Have you never heard of the saying, "First impressions are lasting ones." The impression you give by wearing jeans and a t-shirt on a first date is that you don't care; about her or you.
    Yup! I'd probably go with the guy in khakis. Though the setting plays a large part in how one chooses to dress. If we were at an amusement park or a stable I would go with the guy in jeans.

OMG!!!:twak: Get a friggin' clue! :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

:damnit1: You live in the United States of America . . . LOOKS MATTER!

8. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Hehe very astute milf :smile:

I think sometimes it doesn't matter. Although the right clothes do help. Some clothes I look really young despite my facial hair. Some clothes, which a beautiful person bought me, I look damn sexy and buff, one of them makes me look really gay though...heh.

I heard something about girls going off shoes a lot? What about hair? I need to get mine cut but I'm told my 'whifro' makes me look cute...

When I'm not going out/just in the pub in the week/not giving a shit I wear jeans and a t shirt too, with my running shoes (lol)...but they are so comfy :biggrin1:

For a date or night out I dress nice, nice jeans and a nice shirt/t shirt with my nice shoes. Not had occasion to wear a suit on a date (yet). Although I haven't been on a date in a long time.

Anyway, girls do notice and they do care. Although I think natural or perceived attractiveness can compensate for a fashion faux pas.

Also it doesn't matter how new your clothes are. Some apparel just don't fit some situations.

Beautiful Person left a lasting impression on me. I think it was her bronzed boobs or her well honed sexiness...I liked her kitten too. :smile:

*Wonders who BP wants to win the X Factor*

9. Sixofspades

Sixofspades New Member

Yeah, honestly, you've got to go the extra mile. Dress shoes, khakis, dress shirts, nice jackets, a fresh watch, those kind of things all go a long way. You've absolutely got to smell good too. It's worth getting a nice shower gel/cologne match up. It's a shallow society, but such is life.

10. Gitana Rose

Gitana Rose New Member

Albums:
    I've always loved the jeans look with a nicely fitted black t-shirt,
    a cotton/silk blend preferably...
    And a blazer,leather is good...
    Throw in a nice casual shoe or boot,and some fresh scent...

Ummm nummy,I love that look.

11. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

What do you expect if you wear sneakers (trainers in England) ON A DATE!!:eek:

12. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Not shallow though. It shows one has made an effort.:wink:

13. Principessa

Gold Member

The problem is that the type of woman he wants to attract will never be attracted to him unless he saves the t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers for hanging out with the guys and invests in a new dating wardrobee.

Don't encourage his ridiculous behavior Meg.

Listen to Gillette! As usual she was much more diplomatic than I. :redface:
    Some mens shoe brands to checkout:
    Merrell
    Giorgio Brutini
    Clark's
    Skecher's

14. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seriously, it's the shoes.

The t-shirt is fine. The jeans are fine, better if they show off your ass.

But sneakers are a strict no no.

Clarke's_casual_shoes. Any of these that aren't white or sandals would be perfectly acceptable for a date and are just as comfortable as sneakers.

15. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL, figures the first thing we'd do is go shoe shopping for him!

As for the whole ensemble thing, I'll wear jeans on a first date (my ass looks great in jeans :wink:) so it wouldn't faze me to have the guy wearing the same. It really depends on the venue which should be established ahead of time. I wouldn't wear the same thing to the opera as I would a nice restaurant.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

Of course not, nor would I. I have an unbroken record for always being appropriately attired for any and every occassion. :smile: Even the wedding reception/pig roast I went to when I lived in Massachusetts. :smile:

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

It's funny you should mention this Gillette. I was in Rome once outside the Ferragamo store with an Italian speaking friend when we overheard three well dressed Italian men point to the store and say, "Yeah, boy is that place dangerous." :eek:

I had to go in after that. And no, I didn't buy any shoes. :rolleyes:

18. ash78910

ash78910 New Member

Yes clothing matters isn't that a silly question to ask

19. kazooplayer

kazooplayer New Member

Move to NYC and hang out in the East Village, Brooklyn, or the Lower-East Side, everyone wears sneakers here, no one really gives a shit about khakis and polos here.

20. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

If jeans and a t-shirt is his normal wardrobe, why shouldn't he wear it on a first date? I understand about first impressions, yet if he is a casual guy, why not be himself?

Of course the venue is important, if the date is at a nice restaurant, you have to dress appropriately.

I guess my point is, on a first date, I want to see what a guy is like. If he chooses jeans and a t, that tells me he is a casual, laid back guy. It doesn't make me think he doesn't care about impressing me. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with what type of guy he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted