Women like conflict, men like peace (in a relationship)

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
in general it always seems like it is women who stir up conflict .. that's why you here guys telling other guys to stop "bitching" when they try to start drama

never understood why women like drama so much lol, why not just chill out and be mellow and happy?

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We like each other to be happy. When he's unhappy, he turns into a high school girl and stages little "tests" to see how much I love him. When I'm not happy, I get loud and let him know with brutal honesty.Things are far more peaceful when we're both happy.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was taught to fear anger and frank expression of feelings as a child. Tiptoeing around explosive and reactive parents was my way. My dad was the powder keg and my mom was the diva.
Then in my adult relationships I have had to deal with both-- the ones who save it up and explode, and the ones who must be the one center stage always. No special strategies or balancing acts, except to accommodate whatever I encountered.

It's a strange new thing, now in my second half century, to be in a relationship where my opinion is actually valued. And it still frightens me to annoy a partner, can make me panic and over react. But I have realized that not sticking up for myself can annoy a person who actually loves me, the genuine me.

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Micro: More people should listen to you here; probably elsewhere too.

Macro: Fewer people should believe their experience entirely negates stereotypes, let alone studies.

Hm, that sort of goes with the whole crux of the article, though, at least on your end. Your ex sounds like a psychopath (literally) so he may well not have followed typical psychological patterns. But you getting angry to the point of hurting his feelings, which provoked a reaction, could fit with this study. Regardless, if your ex was some kind of psychopath, I'm not sure we can look at it as a typical scenario, right?

I think there may be some confusion about what this study was concluding.

I know I titled the post in a dramatic way to garner some attention, but I wasn't being very accurate.

The conclusion is NOT that women like drama and men don't.

The conclusion is that when women feel a negative emotion like anger or frustration, they derive pleasure from having their partner share in that emotion. For example, in this population, an angry woman might turn around and say things to inspire anger in her partner by some biological prerogative. The reasoning is that women seeing their partners share in their emotion demonstrates investment in the relationship on the partners' parts.

I can say that from personal experience, this is truth. I've had more than one woman tell me, "I want you to feel what I'm feeling" very directly. I've been called a "robot" or "android" by some women because I'm not converting to some monster after being lashed out at by her. In those cases, it seems they would have preferred I get upset in response to them being upset.

But, this study suggests, my biological prerogative is utterly different. I feel threatened by an angry or frustrated woman I'm in a relationship with because it suggests to me that she wants to end this. I've gotten in many, many fights with my significant others over the years and this study is kind of revealing to me about why those relationships were so strong even though I always thought we were on the verge of ending them. From her perspective, I was utterly emotionally invested. From mine, I was about ready to walk out the door (and did a couple of times).

The point here is that she isn't lashing out because she wants it to end--she's doing it because she wants it to become strengthened. And by want, I mean deep down, underneath it all, not consciously.

I think it's mostly true. I think it's sort of descriptive of why we have the men "walking out" of relationships that their wives think were good and strong. Because men don't have this drive to share their negative feelings most of the time because they think they'll jeopardize the relationship and women don't even realize that their bonding over negative feelings isn't being reciprocated by their men.

Anyway, I guess for me, this study rings mostly true. And while the essence of it seems almost like woman-bashing, I don't think that should be the take-home at all. To the contrary, I think it should inform us about the differences between us emotionally and perhaps make us a bit more aware of what the other in our relationship is thinking. I know, there are a million books on this topic out there, but it's nice to see something with a hard p-value on it demonstrating it for someone like me.

ThongerDude

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The issue? Those two things are basically opposite.

So what do you think? Is it true or not in your experience? And how do you deal with it in your own relationship?

I totally agree with this. Women and men are totally opposites. The old adage that women are from venus and men are from mars is true. We don't like the same things. The way we communicate are complete opposites to each other. There IS NO communication in many M/F relationships.

Makes me wonder how the human race has lasted this long. I think long term survival of humans is in jeopardy.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
so like reaction = validation/bonding?

he gets angry because he loves me.
he gets upset because he's invested.
he show his feelings because he trusts me.
he argues to find a solution *recognizes the problem*
:confused:

or maybe like mirroring? only on a level deeper than posture and smiles?

i've seen this pattern in a few of me more dysfunctional relations. can't say perception had much to do with reality. cuz, well.. breaking up is sorta like an F on ya couple's report card.

now days i don't let myself get fumed up at the boy *for true, most fights are very at, zero with affairs* cuz i do care for him. i don't want him upset. i like to knowing he's not dismissive of me, but not sure a grumble fest mean he's any more involved than taking a breather to work things out with a clear head does.

so.. urm.. i do see truth in the study. i also see behavior i don't find acceptable in a healthy relationship. is a heads up kinda thing. knowing the subconscious motivation so ya can make conscious steps to avoid repeating.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't recognize any of this. I've usually been the calmer cooler one in the relationship. I suppose I usually date drama queens.

With TheBF, I don't expect him to get upset. It's not in his personality, and I don't like to see it when he does. What I do like is when he confides in me, which would usually be over something unpleasant, since most happy news and feelings are easily shared with anyone. I feel closer to him when I feel like he considers me a confidante. I have no desire to be the one making him upset.

redz_rule

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think there is, broadly, some truth to the article.

Although, thinking about it, I have been on the receiving end of deliberate provocation to elicit a response more than once when my dislike of drama has been interpreted as disinterest. Not sure it's completely a male/female thing.

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
all girls start off mellow until we trap you then the drama begins...especially if youre a flirt or cheater lol

i've actually found this true most of the time .. why won't women understand that other women don't look attractive until the girl you fell for starts acting dramatic? :dunno:

ClawdineKitten

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
+1

I think this study is a total stereotypical generalization of girls being the bitchers and provokers and the guys being the controlled and surrenders.

Sometimes I think that stereotype was made so that men can use it against women to make us feel guilty when it's the right moment for the guy. Then it turns into one big hate cycle over and over.

We turn into the bitch, it's our fault for being dramatic when they did do something wrong, but the guy wants to guilt trip us into thinking they didn't do anything wrong.

I think the blame shifting/guilt tripping is passed on down through the ages from male to male to. Of course it skips a few here and there.

Ugh it's all fucked up and it gives me a headache.

-end rant-

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
+1

I think this study is a total stereotypical generalization of girls being the bitchers and provokers and the guys being the controlled and surrenders.

It's not, though. It's an actual study. I think you should read my last post in ths thread. As I say there, it is not saying women are "the problem".

D_Judith K Rantz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sometimes I think that stereotype was made so that men can use it against women to make us feel guilty when it's the right moment for the guy. Then it turns into one big hate cycle over and over.

We turn into the bitch, it's our fault for being dramatic when they did do something wrong, but the guy wants to guilt trip us into thinking they didn't do anything wrong.

I think the blame shifting/guilt tripping is passed on down through the ages from male to male to. Of course it skips a few here and there.

Ugh it's all fucked up and it gives me a headache.

-end rant-

Agree. I have never done this, myself. I think it's an introvert/extrovert thing, not a gender thing.
I agree with your posts as well as your agreeance to my post. :tongue: (does that make sense..?:confused:)