women overpowering men in achievement, especially in the younger age groups

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wyldgusechaz, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

I 've mentioned this b/4 inside of other threads but i think this is one the most paradigm shifts occuring anywhere. Forget global warming, Iraq, China.

In about 15 years women should have most of the power and control in America, because they are excelling across the board far beyond men. Women now make up more than half the applicants to law, medical and professional graduate degrees. They start more enterprises as Act 2 has written. This is monumental stuff and it will beintersting to see the future and how women lead.

2. frizzle

Gold Member

And yet the government is still ruled by a majority of middle/upper class white middle aged men?

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're under the mistaken impression that simple numbers somehow translates to a proportionate assignation of power. It just ain't so.

4. B_btrelll

B_btrelll New Member

Wy hy will it matter who runs the US then? We'll all be China's bitches

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    None of it matters until we are all paid equally for doing the same job.

6. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Inexorably the more educated a person is, the more money they will acquire. IMO it will take 15-20 years but when todays 25 year old women are 40-45 they will be paid as well as men and have more lucrative jobs. (However the mommy track may always be a bit of a drag on wealth and women)

I bring this up because today I finished a real estate investment transaction and I was the only male in the loop. The owner of the real estate company was female, the broker female, the appraiser female, the title representative female, and the loan officer female. The only males in the loop were a handyman to do some repairs, a landscaper, and 2 concrete workers. All the really skiiled high income people were female. My 2 investment partners are female 31 and 37. Its not scientific but its sure is eye opening. Excluding myself except for about $4000, all of the net $60K in wealth went to women.

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Specious reasoning at best.

Come spend some time in my town, where your waiter in just about any given restaurant is likely to hold a more advanced degree than you do.

8. Act2_Begins_Now

Act2_Begins_Now New Member

If I may add to Wlyd's post, my assumption of the point he is trying to get across would be ~ wait ~ no ... perhaps that is the wrong path to take.

How about this, when I read's the OP I don't think, why are women exceling? Instead my thought is ... why are men so content to let this happen?

I believe you will see this change. In 15 years? I am not sure about that, but you will see more and more women holding offices.

Education can only take you so far, you have to drive/hunger and more. Personally, I think women have that drive/hunger and that is why you seeing them opening twice as more businesses then men. I work with a woman who only has an associates degree, but she has time and time again stepped in to run the organization that I work at, when the master's educated man leaves it a mess.

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because that's a false dichotomy.

In reality, we aren't separated into teams of boys and girls and presented with diametrically opposed objectives when we're set loose in society.

Those who truly aspire to greater heights have recognized that adversaries aren't divided along gender or racial lines. Those are artificial segregations put in place to keep the proletariat divided into competing factions rather than presenting a common front to the true roadblocks to their advancement.

I personally have no interest in striving for success to keep the boys on top or to keep whitey in power...such notions are silly and meaningless. I strive to be better at what I do than anyone, and to advance my career for myself so that my family will be better taken care of.

10. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Men watch too much sports and play WAY TOO MUCH video games... I agree with the decline of the male sex... viva la woman!!!!!

11. Act2_Begins_Now

Its my personal observation that fewer men have that attitude nowadays and women seem to be embracing that all the more.

12. Principessa

Gold Member

:tongue: Can I play with your joystick? :biggrin1: :wink:

13. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Sounds like San Antonio, too... I may have to take a survival job because I can't find a job in my field. They require more experience and skill level than I have. I can't do waitressing work though - I've done it before and while I'm not as shy now as I was then, I'd still have a lot of difficulty. I had an easier time working fast food because the customers come up to you to order. I'm even thinking about applying for a factory job again. I've done that before, too.

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Higher achievement up the educational ladder, does lead to more opportunity.

When they moved away from the single exam structure to modular testing throughout the year, girls started to outperform boys significantly in the UK, thus allowing them places at the better Universities etc.

This did not mean that girls were suddenly cleverer than boys, only that different testing systems seemed to be more conducive to one sex or the other.

Any battle between the sexes is imo counter productive so long as everyone has equal opportunity - not quite there yet, sadly, as it is of course dumb to waste talent.

15. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a feeling that you would get the highest score!!!!! :tongue:

16. simcha

Gold Member

Yeah, well, I've been watching this happen in the workforce. I've actually had more female bosses than male bosses. Some of the female bosses have actually discriminated against the men in my department when I was in the corporate world. It sucked and yet it was fascinating to watch. When I was a contractor for a company in the midwest working on a website I had a female boss who openly discriminated against men. What was especially fascinating was that we male contractors were being paid top dollar to design and maintain the website. This boss kept necessary tools out of our hands, handing the best tools to the women on the team. We were definitely second class when it came to training. The women got all of the best training. We men were ignored in staff meetings and not given training until all the women in the department had training.

It seemed like a colossal waste of money to deprive well-paid members of the team of the best tools and training. My job got to be very boring. Mainly I was fixing the mistakes that some of the more senior and upwardly mobile women were making. I got no credit and was looked at with suspicion whenever I excelled at something and suggested fixes for the website. Sometimes my ideas were stolen from me by female members of the team and they got the credit.

It was a taste of what women have been experiencing all along. I'm glad I no longer work for that company and that that boss has no power over me because I'm in a different field and have no need for her reference.

I work for women as a psychotherapist intern and I have to say that my bosses are excellent clinicians and I respect them. They respect me and teach me what I need to know to be a very effective psychotherapist. So, not all bosses of the female gender are nasty and discriminatory. Just as not all male bosses are nasty and discriminatory.

These days any boss of any race, gender, or whatever has the opportunity to be a good leader or a real jerk.

17. frizzle

Gold Member

If it's anything to note, in the Adult Entertainment Buissness, women get paid more then men.

18. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    And yet studies have shown that elsewhere women are often paid 20% or more less than men for the same exact job. And no, it isn't a case of him having been there longer or having had more experience. The smart ass in me just had to point that out... :)

It's an interesting dichotomy. A woman who uses her body is paid more by a male controlled industry yet thought less of for doing so by society, while a woman who uses her brain is paid less by a male controlled industry while being thought highly of by society.

Before I share any further viewpoints which will no doubt have me tied and quartered by my feminist counterparts :eek: , let me state that I do not believe either sex is more intelligent or capable than the other when based soley on gender. Some people are more so than others. If a man I was with were to tell me my opinion was stupid because I was a woman or that I did not have the ability to think, I would immediately leave. To me, a man who is intimidated by the possibility a woman is smarter than him is weak and has an inferiority complex.

Also, please note that this does not, ever, mean ALL women and men. There are always large exceptions.

That being said, I believe that society has pushed women into a corner in which they are not longer able to be women. As a result, women are straining under the pressure, and are searching for a way back. Look on the internet, read women's and men's magazines, books, etc.. Women are crying out for the Alpha male, someone to ease our burdens and make us feel safe, yet we feel guilty, as though we are betraying our own sex and destroying all progress made in allowing us our freedoms.

Thru genetics, testosterone, physical strength and build, men are designed to be more aggressive, fierce, and competitive. They possess, instinctively fight and give and take lives to protect what is theirs. Women are gentler. We nurture our mates, our children, our homes, our friends, our co-workers. Yes, a woman will fight to protect her loved ones as well when a threat enters her domain, but we do not by nature seek it. Again, there are ALWAYS exceptions, as seen thru out history.

I believe women are being stretched between what is natural to us, and by what is currently considered politically correct. No, I do not believe that women should sit at home watching the kids, that their husbands should be chosen for them, that they should obey their "Lord and Master". But I do believe there is a pressure to always have to strive for more and more, higher and higher, as if we need to PROVE that we can do it, and as a result our relationships, our children, and we, as women, are paying a tremendous price.

My job is stressful, chaotic, and requires quick and decisive thinking that often affect the life of another as well as loved ones, and I am just as good if not better than many of the men I work with. But it's not all that I am. The men and loved ones in my life are always first.

So, to sum it up, without getting into how I feel the men of today will affect the future, :tongue: , I don't necissarily believe women will become the driving power. I think we are reaching a critical point regarding career and personal life, and we will see some more breaking down and stress related issues.

But, that is just my thought process, and it could be different next week! :wink:

19. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Actually it is so. Arguing against statistics and numerical trends is bound to be frustrating although it is something a lot of LPSGers like to do. Its beyond me why you would want to though. Facts are facts. Anyone can find isolated instances to prove a point but my OP is more geared to what the future will hold. Its an absolute undeniable fact that the more educated you are the more money you will earn, as a statistical fact over 100s of thousands of college graduates. 35 years ago a women would have been a nurse, now more than 50% of med students are women. Docs earn more than nurses.

The point is not if women are brighter. although its a serious joke that practically all the class valedictorians nationwide are way more female than male, but what will it mean in the future. Power flows to money another indisputable truth. What does that mean for the next generation?

One thing I will say and its completely anecdotal, meaning NOT scientific, is women seem more task completion oriented. They finish what they start. Could that be why they get more degrees and get better grades?

20. Act2_Begins_Now

I could not agree more nor say any better that what you have.

I am torn about this one. I wonder if women do need to stay home. Wait, wait, wait do not call for the henchmen. Let me ponder this one aloud. Where and at what point did women staying at home become 'less than'. Was it because our society craves more and more and higher and higher that money and things became more important than nuturing tomorrow?

Me too. However, I still pay a price, a high one. One that will have to developed thought wise throughout the day and posted late tonight. The job calls ...

Draft saved Draft deleted