women serious question...make-up: big dick attracter or insecurity cover up?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Men say they don't like us with make up but which of us has let our bf put make up on us - the guys line that they don't like make up is contradicted by the fact I looked like a painted harlot once he'd finished with all the blue eyeshadow, red lipstick and masses of blusher.

johnlucas-1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For me it's neither. It's because I like feeling good about me.

Many women watch tv and read magazines and see the women men like you drool over. My current avatar is from April 2005. I do have a few acne blemishes but I don't normally worry about concealing them. I never leave the house without mascara and lipstick or at least lip gloss.

I wish someone would invent a purse sized lie detector. It should work like a radar detector so that when men like you lie to us, a buzzer or vibration would be emitted. That way wouldn't waste months and years of our time on a man who has no intention of committing

I find that more, with guys that have straight or slightly wavy hair. Men with curly hair learn early on they need conditioner to make their tresses easy to comb. Hence they usually have a nice sheen and fewer split ends.

Now I'm curious, you need to post a pic of this glorious mane. :wink:

Most women are quite adept at the almost invisible application of makeup.

Yeah, right! :rolleyes::mad: Lots of men say that but the second the "hot chick" goes natural you lose interest because she lacks a certain je ne sais quois.

That's not true at all. And you know it's not true because of the reality of the "almost invisible application of makeup". Why would it need to be "almost invisible" if makeup was the attracting factor? Hahahahaha! Boy that's funny.

Socialization. That's the word for today, kids. Socialization.
When all you've seen and have been conditioned to see is a certain type of thing, you expect this to be the norm.

If a man always sees breast implants on women at the beach, he may not know how to act when he sees an all-natural walking around in a bikini. And in fact he may be repulsed by it because he's accepted the implanted look as the norm.

I see black women wearing all those sculpted overdone hairdos and I'm like why are doing this? Beehives and fried pressed hair to the head and weaves and all this and I'm like DAMN Stop!! Hahahahahahahahaha! Some women don't know that their real hair MAY, just MAY BE, more attractive than all the rig-up. But it's fear. Women think that if they stop wearing the masks they won't get the attention. They are socialized to think this is the proper behavior. It is always a fashion thing. Temporal and fickle. Like black women with those colored contacts. Stop that crap! Hahahahahaha! Most likely your eyes are brown and they're beautiful that way. True words from a black man. In fact by going the natural route you probably are gonna stand out by default and that MAY just get you the attention because it's a refreshing feeling.

Girls are socialized this way and really don't understand the underlying reasons why they perform certain rituals. Men are socialized in other ways and don't understand the underlying reasons why THEY perform certain rituals. Perception Vs. Reality: The Never-Ending Fight.

Oh & I know when women are using "invisible" makeup. But then again that's probably because I'm an artist and am trained to study details.

Little known secret: The reason make-up and eyebrow plucking and such are pushed on women is because without it women look barely different than men. It is a device used to enforce gender roles. Gender roles created since in reality most traits and features (physical and mental) overlap between the genders.
You don't believe me? Have you ever seen some earth-first tribes' (save that erroneous term "third world" for your mama) male and female members? Without looking at the body it could get hard telling men and women apart. :wink:

John Lucas

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Little known secret: The reason make-up and eyebrow plucking and such are pushed on women is because without it women look barely different than men. It is a device used to enforce gender roles. Gender roles created since in reality most traits and features (physical and mental) overlap between the genders.
You don't believe me? Have you ever seen some earth-first tribes' (save that erroneous term "third world" for your mama) male and female members? Without looking at the body it could get hard telling men and women apart. :wink:

John Lucas

Where I live, just north of L.A., quite a few women are minimalistic/bare faced. And yes, I've noticed that some middle aged women truly DO look like men. Sometimes I have to do a double take. But it's usually the ones who started out being not-very-girly looking to begin with. (Some women have stronger, more rectangular features.)

However, younger women do NOT look like men or boys -- even without make up. They look more like, well, children: plump cheeks, dewy skin, etc. etc.

One thing to be said in favor of being overweight is that it plumps out one's face.

(Makes note to self to eat more donuts!)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where I live, just north of L.A., quite a few women are minimalistic/bare faced. And yes, I've noticed that some middle aged women truly DO look like men. Sometimes I have to do a double take. But it's usually the ones who started out being not-very-girly looking to begin with. (Some women have stronger, more rectangular features.)

However, younger women do NOT look like men or boys -- even without make up. They look more like, well, children: plump cheeks, dewy skin, etc. etc.

One thing to be said in favor of being overweight is that it plumps out one's face.

Yeah, and donuts increase blood flow to the penis - you'll maybe plump out your face and have more sex too! :biggrin1:

johnlucas-1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

There's a flipside to that though.
Some men look "girly-looking". And if they wear long hair like women in this society tend to do and clothing that is more unisex than gender specific than they can be mistaken for females also.
Like I said, the features between the genders overlap which is why gender roles were created in the first place.

Years ago on my first job, some girl co-worker said I had "feminine hands". I have long slender fingers and a shorter hand. Not a lot of nicks and cuts on my hands.
My voice is a few notes above Barry White. Bass-voiced. I don't like to spend all day shopping and don't read romance novels. I'm skinny and slim but you are most likely not gonna confuse me with a woman.
BUT I do have "babydoll" eyes. Big round eyes that if I WERE a female would be considered a feminine feature. And it took me forever to grow a decent beard due to my Native American heritage (it's still a little patchy right now actually). I don't have a hairy chest either. But I don't walk with a feminine switch and plod along just like most males do. I'm not a sports fan but I once liked pro wrestling. I can tell the difference between teal and green, between aqua, turquoise and blue but I tend to just say green and blue. I also know that lavender ain't pink. But I'm an artist who is trained to know colors. Yet I don't understand doilies and decorations for a bathroom setting along with other knick-knacks most women tend to want around the house. My house is pretty plain and function-based like most men.

And on the hand subject, I've seen some women with some catcher's mitts attached to the wrists.

What IS a "REAL man" and what IS a "REAL woman"? That term is a little obnoxious actually. The fact of the matter is male and female have more similarities than we'd like to admit.
Are big feet on a woman unfeminine and small hands on a man unmasculine? Is long hair on a man unmasculine with short hair on a woman unfeminine?

This whole overlap between the genders is what Maury Povich gets ratings from as the viewers try to discern drag queen from actual female. There are men who can easily pass for women on glance and vice versa. Never fools me though. I always pick 'em out right. :wink:

But then again I have an eye for the details.
John Lucas

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I actually have been mistaken for a man before! :eek: If you can see my face, there's no mistaking, but when I was mistaken for a man, they only saw me from my shoulders to my hips, and with my thick waist, small breasts and broad shoulders, I'm kind of "mannish-looking" if I don't take care to specifically wear "feminine-looking" clothes. I have also always been a tomboy and up until fairly recently, more concerned with comfort than looks in my clothes (well, the time I was mistaken for a man, I was wearing my work uniform so there was not a whole lot of choice in what I wore at that point). I still have to wear some of my older clothes because I just don't have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe, but my newer-bought (within the last two years) are more "girly". Just because I'm a tomboy doesn't mean I don't want to attract men! In fact, I actually want to attract men more than most women do! Whether that fact is due to my self-esteem issues, my high sex drive, or a combination of both I'm not really sure.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh well. Seems the sexes are born to live in miscommunication. :redface:
John Lucas

Especially if a man asks, "Why do you wear make up?" And when the women give their varied answers which range from "I wasn't getting enough attentikon" to "It's pretty, and I like it." and you decide only the answers which match your preconceived notions are valid. Fuck that mindset.

P.S.: And that "I wear for it me, I do it for me" line I do NOT buy. I just think people don't realize the underlying reasons why they do things. Anytime a male or a female does superfluous things with appearance it IS in order to attract.

Who do you think you are? Here you go (again) telling people who they are. If someone says, "I like broccoli rabe because it has a bitter after-taste" why can you not accept that the person likes a bitter taste? (Just using an arbitrary parallell to illustrate how ridiculous this looks.)

I wear make up because I love make up. I have fun shopping for it, putting it on friends, putting it on myself, trying out new looks from magazines and books, experimenting with colors I've never before worn and deciding what make up matches what outfits and what moods, and how to accessorize too.

I wear concealer because I was born with dark circles under my eyes, and though modern cosmetic advances have made them lighter, I find I look more relaxed and even younger without those circles. I first put on concealer when I was selling make up. The more make up you wear, the more you sell. It was suggested to me that I find a reason to wear concealer (not to mention learn how to apply liquid foundation as well as mousse base) so that when I was asked, "I want to get the look you have. What are you wearing?" I'd be able to sell everything. Other than that, every item of make up I wearI wear becasue I love it and always have.

When I was a little girl, the women I knew all wore make up on special occasions, and my grandmother wore it daily. My mother's lipstick smelled so pretty, and she always wore the same perfume on days special enough for make up. In my mind, I can still smell it. That's why I won't buy a lipsticl that doesn't smell as good as it looks, and if I am given one, I cover it sweet-smelling gloss. I have wanted to wear make up ever since I can remember. The first few times I wore it as a child (as a flower girl in a wedding, and for my dance recitals and school plays) I wondered if I could stand to wait until I was allowed to wear it on a regular basis.

My make up is great for my skin. it is loaded with minerals, vitamin e, and sunscreen. Most make up has sunscreen in it, and a lot of make up also includes vitamin e or other anti-oxidants. Clearly, as one who does not consume make up, you have spoken of it in ignorance of what the market has to offer.

Why do girls always eyebrow pluck? Taking eyebrows away makes it easier for dirt and contaminants to get in the eyes. Not a smart thing to do. Women do that to make a certain look that they think will attract.
Stop over generalizing. I don't know about other women. I pluck my eyebrows because it "opens" my face. Actually, I use an eyebrow razor these days because it's faster. When I want a softer look, my eyebrows can make all the difference. When I need to look more mature, smarter, even-tempered I change the shape of my eyebrows.

I was unaware that WOMEN ALWAYS eyebrow pluck.

You have a tendency to lump impossibly large groups of peple into the same hole. It's a truly ugly practice, not to mention infuriating, demeaning, and beneath you.

Though after awhile people do it so long they forget the root reason and then it becomes habit which is why old women in their 80s still wear makeup and wigs sometimes. Outside of the guys who go for grannies, they are most likely not going to attract on looks.
You feel better about yourself because the potential to attract is an ego boost.

Maybe I misread you, but it just looks to me like you are trying to pass off speculation as fact. If that's true, I wish you wouldn't. People usually sound pompous and stupid, and end up saying things that some others know from personal exposure isn't true. Just a thought. I hope you will take it in the spirit intended.

SereneBlue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone who thinks "almost invisible makeup" can't make a woman look even more radiant than Nature made her has never tried foundation and eye concealer from Bobbi Brown.

Maybe I misread you, but it just looks to me like you are trying to pass off speculation as fact. If that's true, I wish you wouldn't. People usually sound pompous and stupid, and end up saying things that some others know from personal exposure isn't true.

He does it a LOT.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anyone who thinks "almost invisible makeup" can't make a woman look even more radiant than Nature made her has never tried foundation and eye concealer from Bobbi Brown.

Or mascara from Estee Lauder, blush from Artistry, lip gloss from Mac or Urban Decay...

...and those aren't even my favorite anymore.

Ladies, I'm looking for a medium brown, opaque lip gloss with very high shine and spf 15 or better for under $25. If you spot it, will you show me?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think girls use make up in a bonding way too, I can remember many a happy night spent playing with make up with my friends, putting it on one another, practising different ways to do it.

Then it was off to bed for naked pillow fights of course :)

johnlucas-1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Especially if a man asks, "Why do you wear make up?" And when the women give their varied answers which range from "I wasn't getting enough attentikon" to "It's pretty, and I like it." and you decide only the answers which match your preconceived notions are valid. Fuck that mindset.

AE, there's nothing wrong with wearing makeup. If you wanna do it, that's fine. I didn't say it was a crime to wear it. I'm just getting to the bottom of why it became associated with women in modern times. Its original purpose. And the following things you say next just underline what this topic is about and much of what I noted about why women wear makeup. Some of the other women's responses underline other things I said about the reasons why women and makeup became inseparable in these times.

I'll highlight a point you made in red and post what I noted in previous posts in this thread in blue that match your point.
Extra text may be added in bolded black to contextualize the blue quote.

Who do you think you are? Here you go (again) telling people who they are. If someone says, "I like broccoli rabe because it has a bitter after-taste" why can you not accept that the person likes a bitter taste? (Just using an arbitrary parallell to illustrate how ridiculous this looks.)

I wear make up because I love make up. I have fun shopping for it, putting it on friends, putting it on myself, trying out new looks from magazines and books, experimenting with colors I've never before worn and deciding what make up matches what outfits and what moods, and how to accessorize too.
...outside of auxillary uses as to appear differently (play dress-up) and feel like another persona...
...people continue deriving benefits from the item's auxillary effects...
http://www.lpsg.org/67221-women-serious-question-make-up-3.html#post1098430

I'll add that there are other auxillary reasons that sprung up from the tradition. For instance, Spoiled Princess mentioned it being a female bonding tool.

I wear concealer because I was born with dark circles under my eyes, and though modern cosmetic advances have made them lighter, I find I look more relaxed and even younger without those circles. I first put on concealer when I was selling make up. The more make up you wear, the more you sell. It was suggested to me that I find a reason to wear concealer (not to mention learn how to apply liquid foundation as well as mousse base) so that when I was asked, "I want to get the look you have. What are you wearing?" I'd be able to sell everything. Other than that, every item of make up I wearI wear becasue I love it and always have.
...Also make-up is modernly a female mask. Used to hide insecurities...
http://www.lpsg.org/67221-women-serious-question-make-up.html#post1092955

I've heard women in this thread mention wearing makeup to hide pale skin they're not happy with or rosy cheeks they don't like. You don't like your dark circles. You say you feel relaxed and younger when you wear your concealer. Now what is the purpose of looking younger from the perspective of those studying behaviors in the sexology field? To be more attractive. Youthful appearance is seen as magnetizing in the mating game which is the whole reason for the plethora of botox procedures, laser peels, facelifts, and all that kind of jazz in the plastic surgery field. As a result, auxillary benefits are better acceptance in social/professional fields.

When I was a little girl, the women I knew all wore make up on special occasions, and my grandmother wore it daily. My mother's lipstick smelled so pretty, and she always wore the same perfume on days special enough for make up. In my mind, I can still smell it. That's why I won't buy a lipsticl that doesn't smell as good as it looks, and if I am given one, I cover it sweet-smelling gloss. I have wanted to wear make up ever since I can remember. The first few times I wore it as a child (as a flower girl in a wedding, and for my dance recitals and school plays) I wondered if I could stand to wait until I was allowed to wear it on a regular basis.
...Socialization. That's the word for today, kids. Socialization.
When all you've seen and have been conditioned to see is a certain type of thing, you expect this to be the norm...
http://www.lpsg.org/67221-women-serious-question-make-up-3.html#post1098720

"The women I knew all wore makeup." That's what you said. That's what you grew up seeing so you expected that type of behavior to be the norm for women. We are all products of socializations. Conditionings. Your mother, your grandmother, and all the women you knew in the neighborhood wore makeup. Those were your role models along with women of media. If a boy started wearing makeup they'd question his sexuality and/or sanity because it is NOT the norm for men today to wear makeup. BUT at one time men wore makeup too. The powdered wig set of about 300-400 years ago. It was not seen as a feminine thing to paint face in white powder and red lipstick. That was a male behavior at one time...if only by those "upper classes". Somewhere along the line that changed and that behavior largely went out of fashion for males. Outside of use for actors in TV and movies, men usually don't wear makeup and if they do, their sexual orientation is in question. That's the current socialization.
Sort of like "why do white people tan today?" At one time, tanned skin was seen as the skin of the "low class" working grunts and thus undesirable. Sort of like circumcision. If the culture you live in promotes circumsized penises as healthy and normal you most likely will see uncircumsized ones as undesirable. Fashion. Always changing. New socializations, new conditionings come with each transition.

Some history and background on Cosmetics
History of cosmetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(continued)
John Lucas

johnlucas-1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(continued)

My make up is great for my skin. it is loaded with minerals, vitamin e, and sunscreen. Most make up has sunscreen in it, and a lot of make up also includes vitamin e or other anti-oxidants. Clearly, as one who does not consume make up, you have spoken of it in ignorance of what the market has to offer.

OK I admit fault on this one. I guess because historically make-up WASN'T beneficial to the skin things were added to remedy this situation.
I was wrong on this one. Thanks for the correction.

Stop over generalizing. I don't know about other women. I pluck my eyebrows because it "opens" my face. Actually, I use an eyebrow razor these days because it's faster. When I want a softer look, my eyebrows can make all the difference. When I need to look more mature, smarter, even-tempered I change the shape of my eyebrows.

I was unaware that WOMEN ALWAYS eyebrow pluck.

...outside of auxillary uses as to appear differently (play dress-up) and feel like another persona...
http://www.lpsg.org/67221-women-serious-question-make-up-3.html#post1098430

...The reason make-up and eyebrow plucking and such are pushed on women is because without it women look barely different than men. It is a device used to enforce gender roles...

http://www.lpsg.org/67221-women-serious-question-make-up-3.html#post1098720

The word was "softer". Softer is equated with femininity. Yes, nearly every woman I've seen has shaved, plucked, Naired her eyebrows. It's basically a woman's rite of passage. Always tends to happen in the teen years first. I remember Venus Williams' original bushy eyebrows. I remember her trying to make them razor thin and it was not a good job. They weren't fitting for her type of face. I've seen her recent eyebrow shaping and it looks much better on her. There's a girl at work I know who usually has bushy eyebrows and I saw her one day "do the trim" that nearly all girls do in this country. She shaped her eyebrows a certain way presumably for a "softer" (read: more "feminine") look. This eyebrow shaping deal also runs into playing dress-up and altering look for a certain effect (attracting).
Even bushy-browed Brooke Shields has done the eyebrow trimming dealie.

This has been taken to the extreme by some Hispanic/Latino women. They shave the entire eyebrow OFF and THEN redraw an eyebrow higher on the head with a special pencil. There that look is seen as more feminine so many women follow this tradition.

Some men shape their eyebrows too but most men tend to leave their eyebrows alone and it is not pushed on men to do a lot with their eyebrows. Men who trim them thin as women do may have their sexuality questioned. At work there WAS this a gay guy there who performed as a drag queen in his spare time and I saw him one day with trimmed razor thin eyebrows presumably to complete his "female" look. He was definitely not a macho guy, very girly. At this old warehouse I used to work at there was this gay forklift driver who did the same kind of thing in his spare time and he came with the trim just the same.

Gender roles. Thinner eyebrows are equated with femininity in this culture. They are "softer": a code word for "feminine". It's funny though how such "feminine" eyebrows tend to have to be MADE rather than BORN. Eyebrows are eyebrows. This is just the socialization of gender roles.

You have a tendency to lump impossibly large groups of peple into the same hole. It's a truly ugly practice, not to mention infuriating, demeaning, and beneath you.

Maybe I misread you, but it just looks to me like you are trying to pass off speculation as fact. If that's true, I wish you wouldn't. People usually sound pompous and stupid, and end up saying things that some others know from personal exposure isn't true. Just a thought. I hope you will take it in the spirit intended.
I seem bound to piss people off in here but so be it. You don't have to agree with me and the debate is welcome. I love the exchange. There are socialized male behaviors that men don't realize they are participating in either. Programmed from childhood to behave in a certain manner they grow up not realizing the roots of why the behavior came to be. In certain cultures men sit and stand closer to each other, hug and kiss and all this and no one questions the sexuality of those men because that is the norm for that culture. While here men are expected to be standoffish and stoic only mainly expressing anger, ribbing humor, & seriousness. It is considered unmanly to cry and boys are demerited for crying openly then growing up holding feelings inside that can corrode their emotional being which is why many men blow up and explode in society. The fact that support forums for male issues are becoming more prominent speaks to a recent shift in this mindset. But you'll still find that outside of places like these men don't open up their innermost feelings and thoughts.

When the longhair revolution hit in the 60s, it was a big no-no for boys to wish to emulate growing hair long which only compelled them to do it as an act of rebellion. Men are expected to be horndogs who "hunt" for women at any and every opportunity and if a man is not cowtowing to this mindset some people think something's wrong with him. Men are expected to know endless details about cars and sports and guys who don't keep up with this are considered less-than-manly. Men are told to "walk it off" "shake it off" "suck it up" and "don't complain" when injured. Men have to put on roles of tough guy to be accepted. The whole machismo culture in Latin America with how men act towards and around women. Men and the color pink, a phenomenon being challenged currently today.

We are all socialized very young and this stuff is fixed early on in our lives and we don't even understand the logic behind it. I remember being a 7 year old in Miami, Florida and walking with my fists balled up so as not to seem girlish or feminine or "gay". To have my fingers open and flailing about in my mind at the time was a girlish action. The pressure from peers not to seem like a "sissy" or a "f@ggot" was strong and all the boys cowtowed to this mindset. I broke out of that stupid thinking once I left Miami but that just shows how early socialization can grip a person's mind shaping the behaviors and doings of that person all their life. All without understand the root logic and origins of why the behavior was enacted in the first place.
I believe male codes for behavior are designed to create soldiers for wars.

Makeup is traced to Egypt and different cultures create different reasons for wearing the paint. From use to class identification to ceremonial undertakings to war-marking to aids to allure the paint people use on their face has root reasons that can get eventually forgotten in the tradition. In the modern context makeup mostly follows the alluring principle. At one time dark circled eyes was actually preferred in the 1920's. Fashion. Fashion fashion fashion. One day the root reason will change again as the culture redefines the use.

History of cosmetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Lucas

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have missed the point. Don't you dare ever tell me who I am after I tell you who I am. My definitions trump yours every time. You are brokenif you think otherwise. Now THAT is the point.

...I'm just getting to the bottom of why it became associated with women in modern times. Its original purpose.

So say that. DO NOT fucking tell me something applies to me if I tell you it doesn't. Not only will you be rude, not only will you be arrogant, but you will usually also be wrong.

I never asked you why SOME OTHER women might be using it, and I never asked you how it became so available to me. I TOLD you why I continue to wear it. (But you just don't get it since it is outside of your "research" findings.) I'll be responding to what you said regarding quotes attributable to me.

You don't like your dark circles. You say you feel relaxed and younger when you wear your concealer. Now what is the purpose of looking younger from the perspective of those studying behaviors in the sexology field? To be more attractive.

You precede this with a paragrah about insecurity. This paragraph is about attraction. The implication to me was that you have decided that I wear concealer under my eyes because of insecurity, and for attraction. If that is not the message you inteded to send, I'll apologize now.

I'm not insecure about the circles under my eyes, or I wouldn't tell you about them. You need never know because most people here will never meet me, if they did meet me without make up it's hardly one of the things they'd notice or mention, and I wear concealer applied as expertly as one who used to sell make up can so most people have no idea. Also, I frequently leave the house without any make up. If I wore it to hide insecurities, that would never happen. I wouldn't be able to leave without it and still be my usual confident, energetic self. I know this because of the way I protect my actual insecurities. The only way I'd expose one of those here would be in the name of helping someone with a similar issue.

As for attraction: Did you ignore the part where I told you how I came to wear concealer in the first place? I thought you were searching for origins, John. I wore it originally to sell more concealer. The concealer was $14, of which I kept $7. I was highly motivated to move those bad boys. Best believe. When I learned to put it on in such a way that it did not shift and create new cosmetic issues, I noticed that I looked more relaxed and rested. (I never said concealer made me feel relaxed. I said the process of applying/removing make up was relaxing, and that concealer made me appear relaxed.) When selling some to a friend, I let her watch me put on the concealer (and a special base that could be applied as either a liquid or powder) and then said, "See? Doesn't it look like I've been on vacation for two weeks?" She added that I also looked younger. While I like those side effects very much, the original reason was to line my pockets. I knew I could only move what I myself wore on any given day.
"The women I knew all wore makeup." That's what you said. That's what you grew up seeing so you expected that type of behavior to be the norm for women. We are all products of socializations. Conditionings.

They also smoked like chimneys. All of them but my aunt. That never appealed to me. I did experiment a few times to find out why people did, but I never found out. I agree that some things are socialized, but some things are just appealing. For me, make up is just plain pretty. It looks good, smells good, is easily had, and is a nice thing one can do for themself, by themself. My cosmetic routines are my "me time".
If a boy started wearing makeup they'd question his sexuality and/or sanity because it is NOT the norm for men today to wear makeup.

In my high school some very hard dudes wore make up. No one I know questioned it. That may have been because they often hooked up with the most popular girls, and were popular in their own rights. Make up is very rock and roll, and the androgenous look was fashionable at the time. I still know some of those guys, and most of them no longer wear make up. They're more corporate-looking these days.

OK I admit fault on this one. I guess because historically make-up WASN'T beneficial to the skin things were added to remedy this situation.
I was wrong on this one. Thanks for the correction.
You're welcome. But if you can't see that that's not the only place you were wrong, I may have to put you on ignore. You may be too full of yourself and arrogant to... well.. be properly socialized. LOL

Or perhaps the sexes will never communicate, as you previously stated. Here, a bunch of women are trying to tell you something, but it keeps going over your head.
The word was "softer". Softer is equated with femininity.

Sure. If you take the word out of context. In this case, I simply mean softer. Not as hard. Not as mean. Not as aggressive/angry looking. Gentle. Did you forget all the other effects I could get by simply changing the shape?

As for Brooke Shields, she's trendy. When bushy brows were in style, she rocked them. No one in my family did, because we can't grow them. When thinner brows were in style, she sported those. Not following fashion trends would have ruined her acting career. If she kept her look 80's, she'd have been too dated for TV.

I seem bound to piss people off in here but so be it. You don't have to agree with me and the debate is welcome. I love the exchange.
Don't overgeneralize, and people might be more open to your ideas. Stop with the lumping. Or do all black men lump all women together. (See how that feels? We are individuals in here, and wish to be treated as such. Your participation in this thread has not come accross as edifying, but instead as patheticly arrogant. I'm not the only one to tell you, but you don;'t want to hear it. You'll be ignored, and the exchange will cease. Keep it up.

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Makeup is false advertising, just like those cutlets women put in their bras to make their boobs look bigger. Then women wonder why, the next day, the guy says I'LL CALL YOU but never actually does. You can't cover up ugly for too long, eventually he's going to see your real face.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Makeup is false advertising, just like those cutlets women put in their bras to make their boobs look bigger. Then women wonder why, the next day, the guy says I'LL CALL YOU but never actually does. You can't cover up ugly for too long, eventually he's going to see your real face.
i cant agree more

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I never had that problem.