Women who carry condoms

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Ivana Dickenside, Apr 3, 2008.

1. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

A girlfriend and I had a huge debate a few days ago about women who carry condoms. She is against carrying condoms and has never bought a pack in her life. I for one, do carry condoms and I always have a pack at home, even if I'm not having sex.

The debate pretty much came down to this:

ME - I'm all for women carrying condoms because I believe in playing it safe and always being prepared (never know when I might get some). Plus, I am picky when it comes to condoms because certain brands feel uncomfortable for me. On top of that, I like knowing that the condom being used is mine, meaning I know where it came from, and I don't have to worry if it's expired or has somehow been punctured.

MY FRIEND - My friend believes it shouldn't be a woman's place to provide condoms unless the woman is in a committed relationship. She feels that it's trashy and unlady-like to do this because condoms aren't a woman's responsibility. She also believes that if a man wants to sleep with a woman, he should be prepared with the protection and not the woman.

Thoughts, comments, opinions, etc?

2. B_Epic_Size

B_Epic_Size New Member

i think it shows some responsibility on the womans part. also its nice that it doesnt have to be the mans sole responsibility. also its easier for a woman to carry a few condoms and theyll be in better shape cause of the better conditions in a womans purse. men cant really carry condoms on them and its just stupid to keep them in your car.

so for all the women out there carrying condoms in your purse, kudos!

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

You are so much more intelligent, likely to get laid, confident and realistic than your friend!

That's my first thought.

You're 22 right? - So your friend is probably early 20's also. How can a woman of that age feel it is trashy to advocate safe sex. When it boils down to it that is what carrying condoms says about you. Not to mention that, if she's going to be pissy about it, no one needs to know you are carrying condoms.

I just don't see what is wrong with saying "I have sex, I like sex and I'm going to keep it that way by doing it safely and being in control of my own health and well being". Your friend is living in the past and aspiring to out-dated values.

4. Northland

Gold Member

I myself carry; however, I am always very grateful to a woman who does the same for herself. It tells me she cares enough about her health and possibly mine as well. Women should always carry, as should men, since there's always a possibility of a romantic interlude (or cheap sex) and it would be a shame to lose a life over that moment of risk taking.

Additionally, you've stated a condom preference-this adds to assuring you of having a pleasurable time-both from the physical feeling and the knowledge that it hasn't yet expired.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

6. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Exactly! :arms:
    Rather than trashy, I see the woman providing condoms as a sign of her personal assertiveness, confidence, and self-respect - as well as respect for her partner and his health.

I carry them if there's a possibility I might get some. :) Also, I prefer particular condoms because I know their quality (e.g. he pulls out a contempo and I want pleasure plus), and prefer to handle them because I do so correctly. Nothing wrong with that.

There's also something I love about the finality of handing him the condom. At that point he knows I'm not messing around as far as safe sex and usually it prevents the "tip in" discussion. Sometimes not. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. Mule

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anyone with a reasonable expectation of having sex with someone, regardless of gender, should carry condoms. Then you're always covered (pun intended).

Doesn't apply to safe-playing couples that have agreed to bareback.

8. lonamisa

lonamisa Member

Yeah, I think the consensus is that your friend is against safe sex.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

I thought the consensus was that she is stupid, for expecting her health, to be his responsibility. :tongue:

10. thehighheelsgirl

I haven't used a condom in like 2 years, but I used to buy them before when I might be having sex with different guys.

I can't believe how many girls I know that will have sex with a guy they just met and not even think about using one.

Jen

11. D_Ivana Dickenside

thanks to everyone for their replies to this thread. for a second there i thought i was being an idiot or something. it's good to have some reassurance that i'm not and that my ideals aren't "unlady-like."

thank you!!!!

i definitely agree with you, manlybanisters! my friend and i are a year apart in age (i'm 22 and she's 23) and i believe everything you're saying is right. between the two of us, i've dated a lot more than she has, and i've had some incredible sex along the way too!! :biggrin1:

omg yes!!!!!! pleasure plus is my brand!!!!!!!!!!! i don't like using anything else and this is why i prefer to carry my own condoms. i don't care if i have to pay $13 a box for em. they feel fucking good and that's why i buy them! i'll tolerate trojans and durex brands, but they don't compare to pleasure plus! it's about time someone else who knows what i'm talking about!
    :beerchug2:

i love my friend, but to be honest, she is pretty much clueless when it comes to sex. i think that's why she's never bought condoms in her life, and i know it's definitely one of the reasons why she's not getting any cock, LOL :lmao:

12. joey baloney

joey baloney New Member

Stacy, I'm with you. Semper Paratus -- Always Ready.

13. Ms.Teacher

Ms.Teacher New Member

I've never bought condoms, but I've never hooked up with a guy.

I would feel kind of odd buying them because they are for a man and a man's responsibility. And he knows what kind that feels and fits best on him.

It's not exactly the same thing, but men don't like to buy any kind of sanitary napkins or tampons for their wife or g/f. They feel out of place if you ask them to do it. That's how I'd feel buying condoms.

But with the internet now, women can buy them online and not have to go to a checkout line in a store.

14. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Birth control is the responsibility of both parties.

Why would it be trashy for a woman to buy condoms any more than it would be for a man?

I don't get this double-standard stuff. I thought we got over all that baloney 20 years ago.

15. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Why are they a man's responsibility? Condoms just happen to go on a cock - that does not make them the sole domain of men. Women need them to prevent pregnancy and STDs in exactly the same way men do. Men do not need sanitary towels*, the situations are not comparable.

I was about to type that I find it funny when adults are embarassed to buy things like spermicide and condoms - but I don't actually find it funny - I feel sorry for those people who have been made feel dirty about sex and keeping themselves safe and healthy. It's a shame.

* 'cept possibly after a cock piercing, I've been led to believe.

16. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I don't carry condoms around because I don't have sex with strangers...but if I did then I would have to bring my own because normal condoms don't fit and I don't think many girls carry Magnums or other large sized condoms.

Also, if I were a woman, I'd rather have people make the misguided statement that I am a slut or 'easy' for carrying condoms rather than a doctor have to relate the fact that I'm "HIV Positive" or have Chlamydia, etc.

17. Ms.Teacher

Ms.Teacher New Member

They're not comparable, but some people are uncomfortable buying certain products that are gender specific. Most men do not like to buy women's products. That's a fact.

There are many women who will not buy condoms, even though they benefit from them. If you know any cashiers who work in a drugstore, ask one of them who are more likely to buy condoms, guys or girls. I doubt if it would be equal or even close for that matter.

And women can buy the female condom.

And it's not just products for sex A lot of people are embarrassed to purchase laxatives, anti gas products, or enemas--more or less any item that has something to do with the genitals or anus.

18. lonamisa

lonamisa Member

That too. I just wanted to sound like a CNN headline.

19. D_Ivana Dickenside

why should buying condoms be left to the man to do? it takes two (or more) people to have sex, and a woman is just as responsible as a man while engaging in intercourse. it's like saying you don't care that you're going to get pregnant or catch a disease.

i take pride in buying condoms and i never feel embarassed when i'm standing at the check out line. in fact, i'm usually smiling when the cashier rings me up because i'm going to be having sex later! i feel sorry for individuals like you who are timid about buying products that are for everyday uses.

20. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I know people are embarassed by these things - I just wish for their own sakes they weren't. I think the main point I was trying to make is that condoms are not a 'male' product. They are a sex product - and some folks would be embarassed by that - but they are equally for men and women - women should not be more embarassed than men to buy and carry them.

Draft saved Draft deleted