Women with Tattoos?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Fleur, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Fleur

Gold Member

Hot or not? I'm thinking about getting a tattoo (I don't have any)...I'd be getting it done by an extremely good artist. Any opinions?

2. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Really depends on the person and where.

"tramp stamps" are hot. Armbands are OK.

My pet peeves. Anywhere else. Especially on the foot. I dont know why, but I really dont like that. Ankle, maybe but probably not.

IMHO, just make sure it can be covered when you need it to be. Some conservatives out there are too judgemental when it comes to tatoos.

3. Fleur

Gold Member

They'll be realistic looking cherry blossoms, on my lower left or right back, possibly going slightly to my hip/side.

I'm not sure if that qualifies as a tramp stamp, as it won't be in the middle of my back. :)

The closest thing I can find to what it'll look like is:

4. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Here is the thing. I dont have any but I know a lot of people who do. Tats are a very personal thing. No matter what I say matters really. It only matters what you think. You are going to be the one wearing it for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. So choose wisely.

I like is when people put a lot of thought into it and there is a story to it.

5. Fleur

Gold Member

I have put lots of thought into it. And there is a story behind it. :)

6. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

you are 24.
    At that age the cells in your skin are still robustly dividing.

This causes tattoo ink to be divided among a gradually increasing number of cells and that means ANY tattoo will, within a few years, begin to spread, blur and fade.

For that reason you will want to avoid designs that are too finicky or finely detailed- they will age poorly.

You are better off with simple, graphic designs.

The tramp stamp is a bad idea, simply because it has become associated with women being tramps.

Consider your future, and how you will look when you are ten or 15 years older (look at the other women in your family as a guide ) and try to come up with something that you think you can still sport should you gain 20 pounds,or get pregnant.

Generally, the tattos that I think look elegant on a woman's body are those that are not isolated pictures, but that form a kind of pattern or marking, like an exotic animal... only marking portions of the body.

For example- I know a woman who had a pattern tattooed on her legs, mostly following the outer swell of the calf and thigh.... it looks like she is wearing patterned stockings, even when naked and its sexy as hell.
    Attached are the only two pictures I could find online that come close to what I am describing.

If you have never had a tattoo before... do yourself a favor and have them try out a small dot of the colors they intend to use and wait a week or two...
    Lots of folks have allergic reactions particularly to red tattoo inks...
    YOu want to find out if you do before you get a lot of ink as, sometimes, the only thing a dermatologist can do is cut out the affected skin.

And consider color palette- don't go wild with colors- that ALWAYS looks like shit with age.
    Constrain your tattoo work to a narrow range of complimentary tones that go well with your skin and hair color- its no different than clothing... there are colors you would not wear together for an hour- be even MORE finicky when it comes to color combos you will wear forever.

Attached Files:

7. Fleur

Gold Member

Hmm...I've never heard this before. Where have you heard that? I do know inks in general have come a long way in terms of fading. As far as blurring, from what I've read that is dependent a lot on the artist who does the tattoo and where you decide to put it (if that part of your body is going to change a lot over the years).

I would never get a tramp stamp. EVER.

I have, definitely. Except for the fact that health and weightwise I look nothing like the other women in my family. I'm more lean like the men in my family are.

That's what I'm going for... :)

I'm pale and not planning to go crazy with color...it's not my thing. I'd rather have something simple and feminine. They'll be no dark colors at all. Also graphic/simple stuff isn't really my thing. That second picture (to me) is fairly intricate. I don't really want anything on my arms or legs because I'd like to keep it hidden when I need to.

#7 Fleur, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. poizen-ivy

poizen-ivy New Member

Albums:
    Scrag tags are over done and 'can' look trashy as hell. BUT if it's a decent studio and the artist is good, then they should know how to make it pop.

check out BMEzine.com as it has plenty of info, gallery, stories, artist portfolios and aftercare info you need.

#8 poizen-ivy, Jul 25, 2009
  9. spidergrrrl

spidergrrrl New Member

Albums:
    Hot. But then, I'm biased as I've got three of my own. :p That being said, for me there is a point where they cross the line from hot to just plain overkill, and that's when you start to see more ink than skin. I think of tats as accent pieces.

I ended up doing this (my three are on my right shoulder blade, lower back and left hip). It's also better for them as they are less susceptible to sun damage.

No matter what age you are, the skin cells will divide and renew, though, yes? I know that eventually, all my tats will lose definition and become blurry - when they do, I'll just have them touched up.

Part of me agrees with that. I got my tramp stamp without knowing that was what they were called. However, it *is* easy to keep covered up, so it doesn't bother me too much.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

LOOK AROUND... there are plenty of folks who have tats that are 20 years old.
    Tattoo ink technology has nothing to do with how they end up looking... Skin AGES, it stretches, and all tattoos blur and fade due to cellular division.
    No 'technology can alter that when a cell divides- each gets half the ink and the two daughter cells take up twice the space.

Good for you... the one thing I don't get about tramp stamps is that tattoos are supposed to be individual and personal... when everyone is getting the same basic thing its just a fad.

I'm pale and not planning to go crazy with color...it's not my thing. I'd rather have something simple and feminine. They'll be no dark colors at all. Also graphic/simple stuff isn't really my thing. That second picture (to me) is fairly intricate. I don't really want anything on my arms or legs because I'd like to keep it hidden when I need to.[/QUOTE]

Not suggesting you should do arms or legs... and yes- I think the leg one was too intricate...
    However, keep in mind that color can be touched up, but not really detail... once a fine line blurs... its is WIDER... nothing you can do to tighten it back up that will eliminate the blur- although you can always WIDEN the line and get it sharp again.

11. Fleur

Gold Member

Well, who I'm going to does maintenance work on all the tattoos she does (every few years). So, I imagine that'll help with a lot of things. Fading will happen (premature fading can be avoided by aftercare and the artist you go with as well as the quality of the ink used).

Also, I've read this about blurring:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Larger designs work best at tattoos for a couple of reasons. Tattoo ink is similar to paint in that the pigment particles are suspended in a medium for application. In paint it is oil or acrylic, in tattoo ink it varies, but most often it is glycerin, distilled water, and/or alcohol. The ink is pushed into the dermis layer of the skin during the tattoo process. During healing, the body absorbs the liquid medium, living only the pigment. While the dermis layer doesn’t change the way the epidermis does, there will be minor changes in the skin over time. These changes account for the blurring of tattoo line. This blurring has more of an impact in tattoos that have smaller and tighter designs. Larger tattoos, while still blurring, will look better over time. Smaller tattoos must be simpler to allow for the “line spread”. Designing well from the start can save the frustration and expense of altering a little tattoo later."[/FONT]

12. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

what she said. exactly.

Not really, as you age your skin changes because fewer and fewer cells are actually dividing. Beyond your 50s pretty much only the stem cells are still going- and they do not affect tats as much. Beyond your 70s even the stems cells are pretty much done.

But in your 20s- the cells are dividing nearly as often as they did in your teens. A 40 year old- getting a tat- will see less change over the subsequent 10 years than will a 20 year old.

And, no, you can not just get all tats touched up- blur is a permanent un-focusing of a line or detail, resulting in a wider, fuzzier line. You can make a wider fuzzy line into a wider sharp edged line by adding ink over the fuzzy area... but you can not regain the fine edged original line the blur will remain.
    For bolder designs, this is not much of an issue... but those folks who get, like, portraits, of people on them? Those will get steadily worse looking over time and no touch up will fix it.

The more iconic and logo-like the design, the happier you will be long term.
    The more abstract the design the happier you will be.

A blurry looking butterfly or fish appears flawed.
    A blurry abstract design can look like it was meant to be that way.
    Simple, stark, and spare is the way to go.

And BTW- black looks un-natural... better yet is a dark dark dark brown.
    A dog's nose may look black- but it is brown. And if it were black- it would startle you how wrong it would look.

Also- entertain the idea of going VERY subtle- most folks getting tats look like their skin is yelling at you.

Consider picking a color for your tats that is almost imperceptible against your skin, or just a very few tones different.

For something like cherry blossoms, this would be easy... the trick would be to treat your natural skin tone as "white" and use NO color lighter than that... and AVOID having any kind of dark outlining of the petals or branches..

Look at the first 3 attachments... subtle can be very effective.
    Or- as in one of them, if you have a naturally pinkish skin tone- use your skin tone for the main color in the blossoms themselves, and simply outline their shape with a contrasting color...

Especially avoid the strong colors and small blossom...
    the last attachment shows how a cherry blossom tattoo can end up looking like a skin disease...
    And it also illustrates how the dark branches really suck...

Attached Files:

13. Fleur

Gold Member

I definitely agree, if you look at the picture I attached, I don't want any harsh black outlines, or huge dark branches (yuck), there may or may not be branches, but no huge tree trunk and if there are, they'll be delicate. The person doing my tattoo is Kim Saigh, and she's really good and knows what I want. I in no way want dark, fake looking, or orange or red cherry blossoms like some girls (stupidly imho) get.

14. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

PS-
    Better even than the contrasting color idea, is to get a very subtle color tattoo that relies heavily on natural skin tones to pop by tattooing a drop shadow- rather than a drawn outline...

You pick a color that looks very much like your skin in shadow and tattoo around the design in a way that will give a real sense of depth to a tattoo that is barely a few shades off your natural skin tone.

ETA- important when doing drop shadow design that the highlights and shadows on the flowers themselves consistently MATCH the orientation of the drop shadow.

Attached Files:

#14 Phil Ayesho, Jul 25, 2009
  15. Fleur

Gold Member

Thanks. :) That's definitely along the lines of what I want. I'm not having it done for another month or so, but when I do...maybe I'll put some pictures up of it.

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Here's another thought- think of how the japanese will paint cherry blossoms using only monotone ink with a sumi-i brush.

You could do the entire design as nothing BUT shadows cast, outlining the flowers... including the shadow cast by one petal on another... with very subtle accents or detial tossed in to complete the image...

Here's the thing... this would look almost like a natural skin marking...like a birthmark, that just happened to create an image of cherry blossoms...
    People's first impression would be of the dark and intriguing pattern of dark on your skin, and THEN suddenly realize the image...

And the bonus? Blurring of shadow is no big deal- all shadow is blurred around the edges.

17. Fleur

Gold Member

That could work. I'm fairly sure either way whatever happens the edges won't be severely defined.

18. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

absolutely post pictures of the result..
    at this point, I am fully intrigued.

19. D_Suckleberry Hound

D_Suckleberry Hound New Member

tats are hot. my wife and i both have several. hers are incredibly sexy. for both of us, some of our ink can be seen if we are wearing a tshirt and jeans, and others are only able to be seen when we have, well, less clothes on. my first tat is now 20 years old and has not changed at all over time.

20. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    it really depends
    I mean that's a bit like asking "skirts, feminine or slutty?"
    and giving no information about the skirt
    if the skirt leaves the bottom of your asscheeks hanging out whileyou are standing, it's trashy
    if it's like ankle length and flowing it's feminine and classy...
    same thing with a tattoo, need more information to really say anything

#20 TheRob, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted