Women's Issues Random Thoughts

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have serious misophonia... teddy bear to grizzly bear in 2.2 smacks.
I hate when I can hear noise from someone's headphones. It's especially irritating when I Uber/Lyft and it's my passenger. If I don't like the passenger, I just turn up whatever I want to hear until I can't hear their headphones. If they eacalate, I keep raising the volume of my music until it is as loud as I can tolerate. If they make theirs even louder still, I open my windows and sunroof one by one until they get the point. I engage the child safety at this point so they can't close them. They get one star, and yes, drivers reject poorly rated riders. Keep your average above 4.85. If I like the passenger enough, I listen to figure out what they are listening to, and play the corresponding satellite radio station. I then politely let them know that tinny sounds from small speakers hurt my teeth, and break my concentration, and that I'll happily play their favorite genre of music for them if they'll refrain from playing media of any kind through their headphones.

If they sit in the front seat and watch videos without headphones, I immediately let them know that I need them to use headphones, and at a volume that won't distract me. If they don't like it, I put them out. "Okay. Our time together has been interesting, but has come to its conclusion. Thank you for riding with me, but you will have to exit here." Anything they have to say about that yields only "Have a lovely day. Goodbye now." as a response. If I have to repeat that more than twice, it's just. "Get out." Then, "Please don't make me have to prove to you that I can remove you myself."

I have never had to actiactu get up and put someone out. Thank goodness! Unlike my mother, who taught me to fight and win, I am not a violent person, not by default. I detest violence, and I don't like even touching strangers, to be honest. But I almost NEVER ask cops for help. I tend to solve my own problems. I'm still harboring, deep inside, a little black girl from the Bronx, sick of bullies, and ready for war. And nothing wakes her up like noise pollution in my personal space. Cuddly wumpagus to angry dinosaur in 3...2...1...

Reactions: ItsAll4Kim

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am blessed with a very rare talent of tuning out certain sounds. I didn't realize I could do that until I worked in a loud office environment. Everyone hated Aaron because of the noises he made. I guess I noticed them early on, but I tuned him out completely. He was a nice guy, but he made noises of all kinds. Lots of throat clearings, coughs, blew his nose, etc. It got to even moving things around on his desk would severely irritate some of my coworkers. I didn't hear them.

Same now. My husband has such a developed sense of hearing that he has pitch recognition. It's not perfect pitch, but he can tell what key an instrument is playing. But that means he hears everything. The refrigerator hums in a low D. The release on the Instant Pot starts at a very high B.

I hear the Instant Pot, but I didn't realize the fridge was making noise until one day he asked me "what was that?" I struggled to hear a groan as the ice maker was churning out a batch. Never heard that before either.

Don't get me wrong. I have very good hearing, but I also have very selective hearing.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Howling II Your Sister Is A Werewolf. I haven't watched it in forever. Bad-ass soundtrack. Great fucking movie.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I might be an iZombie zombie. I am very pale. And, lately, food can not be spicy enough. Even my beloved chili oil has let me down.

More heat and spice, people.

Reactions: lms28 and Enid

Happy/positive little ramble. Between various and sundry health things for the last while, Rem and I haven't been able to sleep in the same room for a frustrating amount of time. One or the other of us would get woken by coughing or have an injury that it seemed wiser to sleep alone until healed, etc. The stars finally aligned and we're getting to sleep in the bed together again! I get to wake up next to my sweetie :heart:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I want to be a minimalist. To be able to move in one trip. But. I want all the books.

I counted, this time I moved with 40 small bankers boxes of books :confused:

It's just ridiculous

The rest of my shit fit in maybe 5 small boxes + garbage bags (not counting large items)

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My new YouTube obsession is time-lapse house cleaning videos.

Also found How Clean Is Your House on YouTube. There goes the rest of my weekend

Reactions: lms28

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When we moved into this house almost 15 years ago I pointed to one wall and said that would be a good place to put a built-in bookcase stretching from wall to wall. I even sketched what I wanted on the spot. We put boxes and boxes of books there to remind us. I put the drawing right on top.

It stayed like that for six years! Six years! After the second year I took all the books out of the boxes and had them stacked in that room. Finally, the fifth year I asked him if he was ever going to give me my bookcase, and he said, and I quote: "Oh, you wanted me to build them? I thought you were going to have it done."

So, I had it done. Seriously, I only had in mind to get pre-built cabinets from Home Depot with melamine pre-drilled sides. I figured the whole thing would be about $900. I had no problem giving my husband a bill for $3500 for custom bookshelves. But boy they look good!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I moved into this house six years ago. Last year I bought it. The doorbell has never worked. So, last month I bought a Ring Pro doorbell system. I asked a friend of mine who is an electrician to come by troubleshoot my doorbell and tell me what he needed both in money and materials to get the job done. Saturday, I got tired of waiting. I looked up on YouTube how to troubleshoot the doorbell, and found out the switch was broken. I installed the Ring Pro with the help of my husband. Neither of us likes to work with electricity, that's why I was trying to outsource it through my network. Now, I have heard my shitty mechanical doorbell chime for the first time. The next job is to replace it with a much louder electrical one. I still need an actual electrician to come deal with the lighting in my laundry closet. I change the ballast. It's still shitty. It's jamming it blinks as if the bulb needs to be changed, but the bulb is brand new. I have a new light fixture to put in there, but I'm afraid something is wrong with the wiring and my house is going to catch fire. My friend says I can count on him to come and fix it, but he needs to hurry up.

I need to look into some certifications. I was raised by feminist hippies. I'm used to fixing things myself. I don't know how to do electrical stuff, but I've changed outlets and switches. I want to do some wiring, and some outdoor plumbing. I know, in theory how to do these things, but I need the confidence to go do them. But first things first. My garage is still full of flooring I need to install, and I need to hop to it. Can't store the pipes for the plumbing gig until the garage is clear, and I don't want to finish the landscaping until I lay those pipes. I want sprinklers.

Last edited:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
When we moved into this house almost 15 years ago I pointed to one wall and said that would be a good place to put a built-in bookcase stretching from wall to wall. I even sketched what I wanted on the spot. We put boxes and boxes of books there to remind us. I put the drawing right on top.

It stayed like that for six years! Six years! After the second year I took all the books out of the boxes and had them stacked in that room. Finally, the fifth year I asked him if he was ever going to give me my bookcase, and he said, and I quote: "Oh, you wanted me to build them? I thought you were going to have it done."

So, I had it done. Seriously, I only had in mind to get pre-built cabinets from Home Depot with melamine pre-drilled sides. I figured the whole thing would be about $900. I had no problem giving my husband a bill for $3500 for custom bookshelves. But boy they look good!

Pictures! You must pay the book tax! :D

i got this one (approx 60 inches wide, 80 inch tall, 18 inch deep, with oak planks, from home depot). i just barely got it put together this weekend but haven't started unpacking books yet. i was admittedly lazy this weekend.

sPVzcNg.png

i also have two bookcases from the college, and i am hoping i can fit everything between these 3 with some creative stacking.

in the other place, which we lived in for a year, i never unpacked any books. i just bought new books to read. i'm excited now, i'll get to discover all the unread books that have been packed away for a whole year! it'll be like book-mas. :grinning:

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Also, I wonder what my house will be worth when all my upgrades are done.
Realistically, about the same, but it'll be easier to sell. The key is what constitutes an upgrade versus a maintenance/repair project. Pretty much only new kitchens and baths, or additional square footage will add value. Adding more value than the cost of an upgrade can be a challenge, despite what so many "flip this" reality shows will lead you to believe.

Reactions: AlteredEgo