women's news

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ESPN must be men's news.

p.s doesn't look bad, even though journalism is dying.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It looks relevant and honest.

To be frank I had expected it to be some sort of giggle headed, Stepford wife type of monstrosity.

Good find, Dolf.
or some hardcore feminist site.

but it does look good.
and now i know that black new yorkers are 8x more likely to die in or just after pregnancy & labour than white new yorkers.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I agreed with this quote, "Palin's ideal man may be wrestling grizzlies to the ground, but for a lot of other Americans, especially women, it's the guy doing the grocery shopping with his baby in a Snugli who is really manning up." from this article. Sounds like my man, and that's what I believe. Being a good father is the way a grown man with a child really "man's up."

However, I felt that the WIC program got unfair criticism in another article I can't link to. I agree that breastfeeding is important, but too many women at the lower end of the pay scale can't afford the time to do it or they can't do it and work and end up using formula, especially if they're single moms. That the government makes it available for poor mothers isn't a reasonable criticism and it doesn't mean that the government isn't endorsing breastfeeding. There are new tax credits for pumping equipment for example, but that still isn't always logistically possible for a woman who might be taking the bus home and is working in a place where there aren't refrigerators available to keep milk fresh.

I've looked at at least a dozen articles and they look good. I like it. It contains good subject matter and even the articles that I disagree with are thought provoking. It isn't too radically feminist or so fluffy that I feel like my intelligence is insulted.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also appreciate the fact that the parenting section doesn't ambush the reader with things that ought to have a trigger alert, like CafeMom does. I no longer visit that site after the day that it happened to me three times, each time under an innocent blog post title like, I kid you not, "Are moms too non-judgmental?" that contained horrific details of true crimes committed against children that left me with nightmares. I actually am still disturbed by the things I read there, in blog posts that appeared to be completely innocent.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Looks credible. Still reading so it must be good. Thanks for the link, Dolfette.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*looks to the right side of the screen*

wow! look at that.... LPSG is also asking for donations.
is crazy :rolleyes:

SR_Dee_Zasther

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been following Miss Represntation on facebook and been trying to organize a screening of the movie by the same name, they provide good women's issues articles everyday that I've found very insightful.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been following Miss Represntation on facebook and been trying to organize a screening of the movie by the same name, they provide good women's issues articles everyday that I've found very insightful.

Cool, I should join that! Thanks for the tip.

SR_Dee_Zasther

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, they're main focus is on the media portrayal of women, but like I said it's really insightful. They point out a lot of the subtle sexism that takes place in the media that frankly I missed, and it's because it's so subtle and most people aren't aware of it that it's the most insidious and influential sexism coming over the airwaves. Don't get me wrong, things like (insert all reality programming here) and the blatant sexism found there is a bad influence, but it's little things like only referring to women in power by their first names while 90% of the time men in power are referred to by their last that have a far broader effect on our society.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, they're main focus is on the media portrayal of women, but like I said it's really insightful. They point out a lot of the subtle sexism that takes place in the media that frankly I missed, and it's because it's so subtle and most people aren't aware of it that it's the most insidious and influential sexism coming over the airwaves. Don't get me wrong, things like (insert all reality programming here) and the blatant sexism found there is a bad influence, but it's little things like only referring to women in power by their first names while 90% of the time men in power are referred to by their last that have a far broader effect on our society.

The link to the trailer went viral with my Facebook friends a while ago, but I had no idea that I ought to have liked them on Facebook for their cool article links.

I haven't seen the documentary myself yet, but unfortunately the trailer pointed out a lot of stuff that I started noticing when I was about 15, which made me depressed that so little has changed in the past 20 years.

Last edited:

SR_Dee_Zasther

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The link to the trailer went viral with my Facebook friends a while ago, but I had no idea that I ought to have liked them on Facebook for their cool article links.

I haven't seen the documentary myself yet, but unfortunately the trailer pointed out a lot of stuff that I started noticing when I was about 15, which made me depressed that so little has changed in the past 20 years.

I get that feeling when I watch Charlie Chaplin's final speech from The Great Dictator and realize that it's just as applicable 80 years later as it was then.