women's news

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by dolfette, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dolfette

Gold Member

Women's eNews

what do you think?
    ...read some of the stories before you decide.

2. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

It looks relevant and honest.

To be frank I had expected it to be some sort of giggle headed, Stepford wife type of monstrosity.

Good find, Dolf.

3. Unnamed

Unnamed Member

Albums:
    ESPN must be men's news.

p.s doesn't look bad, even though journalism is dying.

#3 Unnamed, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. dolfette

Gold Member

or some hardcore feminist site.

but it does look good.
    and now i know that black new yorkers are 8x more likely to die in or just after pregnancy & labour than white new yorkers.

5. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Well, I agreed with this quote, "Palin's ideal man may be wrestling grizzlies to the ground, but for a lot of other Americans, especially women, it's the guy doing the grocery shopping with his baby in a Snugli who is really manning up." from this article. Sounds like my man, and that's what I believe. Being a good father is the way a grown man with a child really "man's up."

However, I felt that the WIC program got unfair criticism in another article I can't link to. I agree that breastfeeding is important, but too many women at the lower end of the pay scale can't afford the time to do it or they can't do it and work and end up using formula, especially if they're single moms. That the government makes it available for poor mothers isn't a reasonable criticism and it doesn't mean that the government isn't endorsing breastfeeding. There are new tax credits for pumping equipment for example, but that still isn't always logistically possible for a woman who might be taking the bus home and is working in a place where there aren't refrigerators available to keep milk fresh.

I've looked at at least a dozen articles and they look good. I like it. It contains good subject matter and even the articles that I disagree with are thought provoking. It isn't too radically feminist or so fluffy that I feel like my intelligence is insulted.

#5 petite, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I also appreciate the fact that the parenting section doesn't ambush the reader with things that ought to have a trigger alert, like CafeMom does. I no longer visit that site after the day that it happened to me three times, each time under an innocent blog post title like, I kid you not, "Are moms too non-judgmental?" that contained horrific details of true crimes committed against children that left me with nightmares. I actually am still disturbed by the things I read there, in blog posts that appeared to be completely innocent.

7. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Looks credible. Still reading so it must be good. Thanks for the link, Dolfette.

8. please_suck_these

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for posting this. Interesting stories we might not read from this point of view otherwise.

9. B_curiousme01

B_curiousme01 New Member

The first thing I saw was a 'donate" icon. I'm sure there are some interesting stories there, but it looked very political.

10. dolfette

Gold Member

well they have to pay for it somehow.

11. MickeyLee

Gold Member

*looks to the right side of the screen*

wow! look at that.... LPSG is also asking for donations.
    is crazy :rolleyes:

12. SR_Dee_Zasther

SR_Dee_Zasther New Member

I've been following Miss Represntation on facebook and been trying to organize a screening of the movie by the same name, they provide good women's issues articles everyday that I've found very insightful.

13. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Cool, I should join that! Thanks for the tip.

14. SR_Dee_Zasther

Yeah, they're main focus is on the media portrayal of women, but like I said it's really insightful. They point out a lot of the subtle sexism that takes place in the media that frankly I missed, and it's because it's so subtle and most people aren't aware of it that it's the most insidious and influential sexism coming over the airwaves. Don't get me wrong, things like (insert all reality programming here) and the blatant sexism found there is a bad influence, but it's little things like only referring to women in power by their first names while 90% of the time men in power are referred to by their last that have a far broader effect on our society.

15. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    The link to the trailer went viral with my Facebook friends a while ago, but I had no idea that I ought to have liked them on Facebook for their cool article links.

I haven't seen the documentary myself yet, but unfortunately the trailer pointed out a lot of stuff that I started noticing when I was about 15, which made me depressed that so little has changed in the past 20 years.

#15 petite, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  16. SR_Dee_Zasther

I get that feeling when I watch Charlie Chaplin's final speech from The Great Dictator and realize that it's just as applicable 80 years later as it was then.

17. anoushka

anoushka Member

Albums:
    I think a big thank you is in order for providing the link - so thank you, Dolfette!

Draft saved Draft deleted