women's rights being attacked in israel.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unholy Row In Jerusalem Over Status Of Women - Yahoo!

An attempt to ban women singing in public places is the latest move to spark protests after a few extremist Rabbis declared it too sexual for men to hear.

The increasingly conservative attitude towards women reflects the steady demographic shift in Israel, particularly in Jerusalem.

In religious areas of the city there are growing incidents of self-imposed "separation" of the sexes, despite laws banning segregation.
Frequently women sit at the back of buses, have separate entrances in some shops and different hours at medical facilities.

They point to the trend among advertising agencies to use only images of men in their campaigns in Jerusalem.
Risque images of women that can be found plastered on billboards in Tel Aviv are considered offensive by the ultra-religious community.
"It is now rare to find any images of women at all, even those dressed modestly," Idit Karni told Sky News.
worrying...

milkboy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think there are a lot more worrying things in that part of the world than women being allowed to sing in public... ie, palestinian rights in the occupied territories.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think there are a lot more worrying things in that part of the world than women being allowed to sing in public... ie, palestinian rights in the occupied territories.
obviously we should ignore burglars because there are muderers to arrest, leave diabetes untreated because there are people with cancer, and just not worry about the little things. :smile:

this is the women's issues forum.
i've posted a women's issue.
if you have a problem with women's issues being posted in the women's issues then i have a few suggestions on what you could do.

milkboy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
obviously we should ignore burglars because there are muderers to arrest, leave diabetes untreated because there are people with cancer, and just not worry about the little things. :smile:

this is the women's issues forum.
i've posted a women's issue.
if you have a problem with women's issues being posted in the women's issues then i have a few suggestions on what you could do.

Do you disagree with what I said? If you do then I have a few suggestions of my own.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The irony is too much! Why don't you re-read my post and then come back to me with something a little bit more intelligent and less confrontational?
reading your posts once is already more tedium than i can take.

tell me, why do you have an issue with this topic being posted? should i have posted a disclaimer at the end, that i do not endorse the occupation and that i boycott groceries produced in isreal? would that satisfy? or perhaps you just really hate lady gaga's last album and think stopping people playing women's voices on the radio would save you aural offence?

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ok...

Even Israel's military, long a bastion of sexual equality, has been drawn into the row with some religious soldiers boycotting ceremonial events where female soldiers might be singing.

how about if it had been swiss soldiers boycotting ceremonies where black soldiers might sing? because the swiss are not occupying austria, and oppressing people based on colour is so much worse than oppressing people based on gender.

would that be an ok thread to post?

milkboy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
reading your posts once is already more tedium than i can take.

tell me, why do you have an issue with this topic being posted? should i have posted a disclaimer at the end, that i do not endorse the occupation and that i boycott groceries produced in isreal? would that satisfy? or perhaps you just really hate lady gaga's last album and think stopping people playing women's voices on the radio would save you aural offence?

In all honesty, your sensitivity to my utterly tame post is completely pathetic. Me having an issue with this topic being posted is all in your head. You strike me as an incredibly insecure person.

I merely stated my opinion. Palestinian rights includes woman's rights and for many (including those that are threatening woman's rights in Israel proper) the occupied territories is part of Israel. If you're a person who is sensitive about the broader issue of HUMAN rights in that part of the world then *it is my opinion* that going out of your way to raise such an inconsequential and relatively petty issue such as woman not being allowed to sing in public is silly. You're free to post such things, though. I'm not trying to police the forum here ffs.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
you think that women being banned from singing would be a petty thing to worry about? that says enough about you to know that your opinion isn't worth reading.

another one for the ignore list.

milkboy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
http://oi35.tinypic.com/2iapd8w.jpg

There goes your reading comprehension failing you again. "Relatively petty"... do you know what relative means? And don't kid yourself, we all know you won't block me just yet. Your immediate responses to my other posts give that away.

Last edited:

rothen

Just Browsing
Media
ok...

how about if it had been swiss soldiers boycotting ceremonies where black soldiers might sing? because the swiss are not occupying austria, and oppressing people based on colour is so much worse than oppressing people based on gender.

would that be an ok thread to post?

Wow, you know so little of the faith. Enjoying hijacking a phenomenon beyond your comprehension for the sake of your little cause.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the link, Dolf.

I personally find that outrageous. Just another way that religion attempts to control and undermine the rights of women and reduce them to chattels.
and it would be so oppressive. can you imagine not being able to sing a lullaby to a restless baby, or join in a nursery rhyme with your toddler once you'd left the house, or hum along to a few bars of your favourite song if it came on over the radio without being warned that you were breaking the law? being banned from school chiors, being denied work as musicians, never being able to enjoy that feeling?
and music has historically been the last form of protest for the oppressed. taking away song is taking away on of the most powerful unifying forces any rebellion has.

i can't imagine this ever becoming law but...

Last edited:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
[/snip]
worrying...
Indeed. What's most concerning to me is how one group's preference for gender segregation, which I support their right to practice, bleeds into the shared society, where women are silenced and their images erased from the public sphere.

However, I think exerting social control, particularly over those underrepresented in positions of power and influence, tends to be an area of refuge in times of uncertainty. Israel is experiencing issues both internally and externally, much like the United States, where the "war” on poor/women/working class/education, etc., essentially takes root after a period of prolonged economic weakness.

Although agreeing with Dragon that religion plays a part, it, in my view, only acts as a veneer of common tie where traditionalism, in the name of stabilization, can gain traction with an anxious population.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Indeed. What's most concerning to me is how one group's preference for gender segregation, which I support their right to practise, bleeds into the shared society, where women are silenced and their images erased from the public sphere.

Although agreeing with Dragon that religion plays a part, it, in my view, only acts as a veneer of common tie where traditionalism, in the name of stabilisation, can gain traction with an anxious population.
like the rise of fascism pre ww1, in times of turmoil people are driven towards extremist ideals.

regards religion, the recent trend in the middle east has been to prove how faithful you are with how much you oppress your women.

but israel was for decades one of the most forward thinking countries in the world when it came to gender equality... it questions how unstable our own equality may be.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
like the rise of fascism pre ww1, in times of turmoil people are driven towards extremist ideals.

regards religion, the recent trend in the middle east has been to prove how faithful you are with how much you oppress your women.

but israel was for decades one of the most forward thinking countries in the world when it came to gender equality... it questions how unstable our own equality may be.
I would say recent history in the region has shown that extreme oppression is, perhaps temporarily, on the wane and women are elbowing their way (I guess confrontational is good :eek:) into a place that highlights how valuable they are as an active part of the political and social success. Just thinking back over the last 15-ish years, the emergence and acceptance of women as a political force can be witnessed in the Obama-like youth events surrounding Khatami's election, Green Revolution, Karman and other agentive women in Yemen, through to the ongoing Egyptian revolution, where women are still out in the streets protesting alongside men.

Not all men by any means, and many do resort to violence to break women down, but, as occured in previous revolutionary periods, the opening is there to build upon. I agree Israel has always been a regional leader in this area, but do you think it possible that rejecting tradition and convention when it feels right or based in some respected doctrine is a lot to ask, even for a somewhat progressive country?

Does any country do this really well and sustainably? Say for a century or more with no regressing? Because I know the U.S. at least continues to be hamstrung by the same nonsense. Even France attempts to dictate the appearance of women in the name of liberation. :shrug:

it questions how unstable our own equality may be.

Occasionally I visit family in a southern U.S. county where a woman could not secure BC or an abortion if she desired either. Which I understand is backwards, but had convinced myself was isolated to the Southern U.S., that is until a few weeks ago I exited Planned Parenthood in on of the most liberal cities in the country and proceeded to literally be car-blocked and pamphleted/spoken to by a group of anti-abortion zealots, when my only activity was a routine clean poon check. I know my rights and body autonomy are not secure. :(

Last edited: