women's rights being attacked in israel.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Occasionally I visit family in a southern U.S. county where a woman could not secure BC or an abortion if she desired either. Which I understand is backwards, but had convinced myself was isolated to the Southern U.S., that is until a few weeks ago I exited Planned Parenthood in on of the most liberal cities in the country and proceeded to literally be car-blocked and pamphleted/spoken to by a group of anti-abortion zealots, when my only activity was a routine clean poon check. I know my rights and body autonomy are not secure. :(
how awful for you!

you can't even get basic, essential medical checkups without being harassed and intimidated... i'm not sure how i would have reacted or coped with that one.

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is it that 'fundamentalists' in all religions want women dominated by men. My father was a fundamentalist Baptist minister who believed that a wife had to submit to sex any time her husband wanted and to not do so was sin. No woman could hold any position of decision making in the church. I guess that is why I hate narrow minded religious sexist zealots. They are so reactionary and anti democratic. Disgusting.

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Some ultra Orthodox in Israeli politics try to shake up and discomfort the general population as a power play. They're ornery, obnoxious, and have backwards views that do not reflect Judaism. They're also mostly anti-Zionist and have a disdain for Israel yet they still stay there. One thing I can understand if they are asking people in general not to sing at the Kotel, because it is disrespectful to people praying. I have to agree with some of the ads though, in parts of Israel, there are European style ads that children should not see. I am not sure if I believe the part of the article about no ads with women in Jerusalem, maybe in the Old City but not in Jerusalem in general

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes there are fundamentalist asshats in all religions, including Judaism. You are supposed to shave your head if you are a married female, in some of them. Headscarf or wig.

Quite a few of them in NYC and urban European capitals.

It would indeed be a step backward if Israel were to cave in to its ultra-orthodox elements just as Egypt and Turkey are freeing up their female populace more.

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes there are fundamentalist asshats in all religions, including Judaism. You are supposed to shave your head if you are a married female, in some of them. Headscarf or wig.

Quite a few of them in NYC and urban European capitals.

It would indeed be a step backward if Israel were to cave in to its ultra-orthodox elements just as Egypt and Turkey are freeing up their female populace more.

There is no requirement in Judaism to shave your head, saying that is just as silly as saying Orthodox Jewish people have sex with a hole in a sheet. The women that do shave their heads before the wedding, do so because it is easier to completely submerge yourself in the mikvah(a ritual bath). Some other Orthodox women do it because they have an easier time wearing a wig with a shaved head. It has nothing to do with oppression, it is a choice. There is the requirement of married women covering their hair, at minimum in prayer. This is interpreted by less religious women wearing a small scarf or even doily at service, for more religious women, they wear scarves, hats, or wigs. It is very easy to be presumptuous about another religion and assume that the women are miserable. Just like in Islam the women who cover their heads in western countries, do it with pride. I have a lot of respect for women that feel comfortable enough and have enough pride in their religions to ignore ignorant naysayers, it is a lot harder to cover your head than it is to conform to what some people think is right

B_quiet_man

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I met a woman who had left a Jewish community where women were banned from laughing, in case it aroused men.

She had pursuaded her husband to leave, and eventually he agreed. Then she got inot tantric sex.

It's up to the people involved if they can find the wherewithal to leave these kinds of cults - although it's the young who are really at risk.

Also, these anti-sex religous cults are oppressive on men too, not just women.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There is no requirement in Judaism to shave your head, saying that is just as silly as saying Orthodox Jewish people have sex with a hole in a sheet. The women that do shave their heads before the wedding, do so because it is easier to completely submerge yourself in the mikvah(a ritual bath). Some other Orthodox women do it because they have an easier time wearing a wig with a shaved head. It has nothing to do with oppression, it is a choice. There is the requirement of married women covering their hair, at minimum in prayer. This is interpreted by less religious women wearing a small scarf or even doily at service, for more religious women, they wear scarves, hats, or wigs. It is very easy to be presumptuous about another religion and assume that the women are miserable. Just like in Islam the women who cover their heads in western countries, do it with pride. I have a lot of respect for women that feel comfortable enough and have enough pride in their religions to ignore ignorant naysayers, it is a lot harder to cover your head than it is to conform to what some people think is right

I did not say all Jewish women shave their heads. You know that is not so. It is only 'fundamentalist,' sectarian Orthodox types who do so. Any fashion statement can be done with pride, certainly. It is a woman's personal choice to listen to her sectarian leaders and conform. Just as it is my choice to wear dreads, in honor of one of my chosen patron deities.

But no, it is not Hailie Selassie, or ganja. It is His/Her Noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However, in order to be certain of my intent you would have to ask me. Similarly, if I see a woman wearing a scarf over her hair all day every day, I would have to ask her why.

Nobody is forcing me to wear dreads, or shunning me if I don't. That is a big difference here. Also, I am quite willing to sing you Flying Spaghetti Monster songs, in public, and support the Israeli woman's right to sing songs too.

Personally I worry about the state of this country.Israel whatever you think of it a doomed country because the palistinian/israelies will soon outnumber jews. As for "palestinians" they dont exist..they are simply arab nomads who have been shunned by their "brothers". This country is more of interest to me.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, interesting. Thank you for sharing the link Dolfette. Unfortunately I believe I've spent less time learning about the outside world than a majority of the posters. When I read things of this nature I'm simply shocked. I don't understand it. I love to sing, I do sing in public, I hum, it makes me happy. What is risky about singing? Is the really such a fear that the sound of a woman's voice will drive man to distraction?

*shakes head*

Women have to enter through separate doors??? What is the purpose? Should they hide in the shadows? Only come out at night? Oh wait, then they would be meeting lovers:rolleyes: What a pity that the few are able to influence the many. It's very disheartening to know that women in other countries are subjected to such idiocy.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is the really such a fear that the sound of a woman's voice will drive man to distraction?
it is a woman's fault that a man thinks sinful thoughts. she should stay home, never go out without covering her body or silencing her voice...

i can't imagine what it feels like to live that way.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it is a woman's fault that a man thinks sinful thoughts. she should stay home, never go out without covering her body or silencing her voice...

i can't imagine what it feels like to live that way.

Neither can I. What a pity so many women are considered second class due to their sex. What a joke, it's rather mind numbing TBH.:frown1:

I hate to say this, especially here, but it's my opinion that it's really the men with the problem. If they *meaning the men who have issues with women being equals* cannot control themselves then maybe THEY should use separate doors, maybe they should be separate.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I did not say all Jewish women shave their heads. You know that is not so. It is only 'fundamentalist,' sectarian Orthodox types who do so. Any fashion statement can be done with pride, certainly. It is a woman's personal choice to listen to her sectarian leaders and conform. Just as it is my choice to wear dreads, in honor of one of my chosen patron deities.

But no, it is not Hailie Selassie, or ganja. It is His/Her Noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However, in order to be certain of my intent you would have to ask me. Similarly, if I see a woman wearing a scarf over her hair all day every day, I would have to ask her why.

Nobody is forcing me to wear dreads, or shunning me if I don't. That is a big difference here. Also, I am quite willing to sing you Flying Spaghetti Monster songs, in public, and support the Israeli woman's right to sing songs too.

World without end, Ramen!
Sistah!