women's rights being attacked in israel.

DeviantWanderer

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ive skimmed the previous 4 pages so i could get an idea of what has been touched on here. I have lived in Israel for a period of time.

First of all, what people have to understand is that Israel is mostly secular or traditional, the sad reality is that the religious minority have a disproportional amount of power.

I have attended formal ceremonies where a female sang and a large crowd of religious males walked out, i was disgusted. I found that very disrespectful. but this is common practice in Israel. Further, i have been following the recent happenings in beit shemesh and find that too ridiculous.

Today the idea of segregation is far removed from a democratic society. Although, the reality is America was segregated for many years. The difference is that America made progress while Israel appears to be taking steps backwards.

A further example of the discrimination against women is females are being forced out of military units because incoming religious recruits are too uncomfortable to be serving alongside females.

In America religion is much more private. While you can practice openly in America, no one is going to cater around your specific beliefs. In Israel, to maintain the idea of a "Jewish State", society is much more accommodating to the ultra-religious. This is in no way a justification, i certainly do not support this.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
having groups of wackos is normal in all societies. it's the degree to which they are tolerated that controls the impact they have. i think we find it uncomfortable to tell people they're being shitheads when they do it in the name of god.