Womens rights in Iran...Reluctant progress or a velvet fist?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In the news since Friday :

BBC
  1. "Authorities in Iran are to crack down on women failing to follow the regime's definition of good Islamic dress. Some 200 extra police are to patrol the streets of Tehran confronting women who reveal ankles, sport thin headscarves or wear short or tight jackets. Those found to be in breach of Iran's Islamic dress code could face instant penalty fines.

The move is part of a blitz against anti-social behaviour, also targeting drugs and people who play loud music.

People walking pets or men sporting outlandish hairstyles could also face fines, of up to $55 (£31), said Tehran's police chief, Mortaza Talai.
    Iran's clerical establishment says it wants to protect the values of the country's Islamic revolution against a corrupting Western influence.

The move is part of a blitz against anti-social behaviour, also targeting drugs and people who play loud music.

People walking pets or men sporting outlandish hairstyles could also face fines, of up to $55 (£31), said Tehran's police chief, Mortaza Talai. Iran's clerical establishment says it wants to protect the values of the country's Islamic revolution against a corrupting Western influence."
  2. Driving home today I heard on BBC news that Iranian Women will now be allowed to view sporting events, this following several protests and 'illegal' attendances. (I haven't been able to find 3rd party verification of this yet though).
I'd love to hear anyones take on these superficially contradictory policies? Especially on what President Ahmadinejad may consider an outlandish hairstyle for men!

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thats a load of shit, there are soooooo many hotspots(private houses) in iran, where some of the most absolutely beautiful women ull ever see will fuck ur brains out for fun(not hookers just horny hot chix). the governments are controlled by these psychopathic extremists, but the youth has a mind of its own. they will never successfully control that youth population.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rhino_horn said:
thats a load of shit, there are soooooo many hotspots(private houses) in iran, where some of the most absolutely beautiful women ull ever see will fuck ur brains out for fun(not hookers just horny hot chix). the governments are controlled by these psychopathic extremists, but the youth has a mind of its own. they will never successfully control that youth population.

Very inciteful. I guess there's no problem then. I assume you have obviously spent a great deal time in Iran to have such a balanced viewpoint?

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
Very inciteful. I guess there's no problem then. I assume you have obviously spent a great deal time in Iran to have such a balanced viewpoint?
lol, insightful**...another psuedo-intellectual? also, how can u make an assumption about a statement that has an obvious point?

but nevermind the dumbf*ckery, so whenever im in the area, i try to see everything. ive been to iran twice..the people are kind, and free-spirited. they hate americans like poison, but i can mix into the population by growing a light beard and i speak enough of the language to move around, though i wudnt recommend any vacationers to that area. ull note people in the east/central asia are fed the same anti-western propaganda as the people in the west are fed anti-eastern propaganda, so its understandable that some sheep will blindly follow those possessing influence/authority.

*though in the rural areas of that part of the world they will kill u for bad manners(i.e. not eating when invited to a meal)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rhino_horn said:
lol, insightful**...another psuedo-intellectual? also, how can u make an assumption about a statement that has an obvious point?

I'm not a pseudo anything and I didn't make any assumptions, I saw your point. I just thought it was a bit narrow and missed the bigger picture. You can get laid anywhere and the youth always try and subvert authority, at least I did.

rhino_horn said:
ive been to iran twice..the people are kind, and free-spirited. they hate americans like poison, but i can mix into the population by growing a light beard and i speak enough of the language to move around, though i wudnt recommend any vacationers to that area.

I've only been once and that was my impression, the women more than the men in many ways. I disagree that Iranians hate Americans (for the most part) but a great many do hate American attitudes and foreign policy, and, well they're far from alone in that. The same way most Americans don't hate Iranians just their Governments policies, plus a healthy dose of ignorance on both sides of the equation. As for blending in I imagine I stuck out like a sore thumb but Iran is for the most part a safe place, if you don't choke on the traffic fumes in Tehran of course.

rhino_horn said:
ull note people in the east/central asia are fed the same anti-western propaganda as the people in the west are fed anti-eastern propaganda, so its understandable that some sheep will blindly follow those possessing influence/authority.

Same the world over, in the 60+ countries I've been in I can't recall one that didn't enjoy some flavour of that problem to some degree or other.

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
I've only been once and that was my impression, the women more than the men in many ways. I disagree that Iranians hate Americans (for the most part) but a great many do hate American attitudes and foreign policy, and, well they're far from alone in that. The same way most Americans don't hate Iranians just their Governments policies, plus a healthy dose of ignorance on both sides of the equation. As for blending in I imagine I stuck out like a sore thumb but Iran is for the most part a safe place, if you don't choke on the traffic fumes in Tehran of course.

maybe i shud take u with me next time(if they dont get nuked)..... the people i spoke to are generally very vocal and enjoy political conversation more than sex; i believe that a small majority of the irani population considers the american public to be stupid+evil as the american population considers the iranis to be, but thats just based on the few towns i had the pleasure of visiting. also i think letting any1 know ur american is suicide.---just out of curiousity, when were u there last? i was there 2 years ago...near shahre ray just outside of tehran.

*just fyi, im not an irani

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rhino_horn said:
maybe i shud take u with me next time(if they dont get nuked)..... the people i spoke to are generally very vocal and enjoy political conversation more than sex; i believe that a small majority of the irani population considers the american public to be stupid+evil as the american population considers the iranis to be, but thats just based on the few towns i had the pleasure of visiting. also i think letting any1 know ur american is suicide.---just out of curiousity, when were u there last? i was there 2 years ago...near shahre ray just outside of tehran.

*just fyi, im not an irani

Late last year just before Xmas. Only a flying visit to visit someone's dad in Tehran, tried to get to Tabriz but no time. I'm keen to return, especially to see the south, I knew it would be cold but......

I doubt they will get nuked in that sense, more likely the Chinese or Russians will sell them some dodgy recycled reactor parts and we will see a Chernobyl #2.

I also spent some time in Lebanon and Jordan a couple of years back and again once you get people to open up a little... wow. I'm not American and while there is historical political baggage with the UK most people just take you as they find you. Of course there are radicals who start ranting but of course there are assholes the world over.