Wondering who decides who you are attracted to?

cherfan1

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was reading through some of the pages of a thread in 'relationships, discrimination, and jealousy' and saw someone asking whether it is God who chooses who you like, or if it's you....I can tell you this, I am a firm believer in the Lord our God, I believe he is in control; but I also believe he is not the one who decides who you like and who you don't like, that's free will, a gift he has given all his children (everyone on earth).

I don't know if there's anyone else quite like me, but I am gay and I never wanted to like guys, it just happened. I don't blame God, I blame Satan for putting these sins in my life, but I blame mostly myself for acting on these temptations by continuing to lust for these guys that I might see only once, or others who I might have known for years.

If I had the choice, I'd wanna be straight in a heart beat, I've always wanted to stand out from everyone else, but I believe the gay lifestyle is a sin, it's not from the Lord, and although it's thought by many to be impossible, the Lord can change you if you put your trust in him, I know because I've seen it. I am going through a time where Satan is trying to convince me that being gay is ok and it's what makes me happy, but I know the truth, and I constantly give in to Satan anyway. I am ashamed for who I have become. And I know I must change one day and seek the guidance of not only my pastor, but my Lord. For everyone will face the judgement seat one day and will have to account for their sins (the sins Jesus gave his life for).

Anyone else out there who believes the same? Please don't come on here and bash me or my beliefs, I'm just looking for someone who is in the same boat. God Bless

About Forever | Why Does Forever Matter | Make It To Forever

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I believe that if there is a God, She made me just the way I am, Gay. No satan or sin is involved in the mix. I also believe there is NO way to change the fact that I am gay, nor would i want to. I believe that people can SURPRESS their true nature, but they're just kidding themselves. I may be judged someday for my actions in this life, but NOT for being gay. I feel sorry that you feel ashamed of yourself and hope that one day you can find some resolution.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I believe that people can SURPRESS their true nature, but they're just kidding themselves. I may be judged someday for my actions in this life, but NOT for being gay. I feel sorry that you feel ashamed of yourself and hope that one day you can find some resolution.
Very well said. With all due respect to the OP and his/her beliefs: this is a perfect example of the horrific damage religious brainwash can do to a person.
Stop beating Yourself up. If You're right about God and Satan, they'll spend the rest of eternity doing it for You anyway.
BTW - I don't believe we choose our attractions. I always liken being gay to being rightie or leftie. It's just what You are. Attraction just happens. Fate - yes. Chemistry - yes. Divinity - unlikely. I find it hard to believe any angels (or fallen ones) have a hand in any of it.
Just my 2¢.

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Keep this in mind everyone....Whether you believe it or not, nothing of 100% proof that has been revealed on this earth has EVER contradicted the Bible or it's teachings.

Do you REALLY want to open that can of worms? I know, the ONLY way to salvation is through Jesus. What about the millions of Buddhists, Hindi, Jews or primitive people that have never heard of "The Bible"? So they are all going to hell? Now does that make any sense at all? And there is that pesky carbon-dating of fossils which imply that the book of Genesis is a fairy tale.

D

deleted213967

Anyone else out there who believes the same? Please don't come on here and bash me or my beliefs, I'm just looking for someone who is in the same boat. God Bless

Trés cher CherFan,

I am still unsure as to whether your thread expresses tongue-in-cheek humor or bona fide obscurantism, so I'll venture one neutral recommendation:

If you are so intent on playing straight, please give up Cher, for God's sake! Even Satan will applaud you.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If I had the choice, I'd wanna be straight in a heart beat, I've always wanted to stand out from everyone else, but I believe the gay lifestyle is a sin, it's not from the Lord, and although it's thought by many to be impossible, the Lord can change you if you put your trust in him, I know because I've seen it.
The APA disagrees.

There is little to no likelihood of you ever being able to change your sexual orientation, despite what others may tell you. You're gay and you have to learn to accept that. If your faith in god is an important part of who you are, then you should look into other Christian denominations that have learned to include and accept gays as a completely normal and natural part of human life. The Episcopal Church for example.

I think you're getting poor interpretations of the Bible. The Bible does not condemn homosexuality but where and with whom it is practiced. Anybody who tells you different doesn't know the context in which the various parts of the Bible were written and how it has been translated.

I am very glad you have such wonderful faith but I'm also very sorry that some ignorant people have taught you to hate your nature. I urge your to find a denomination that has a better understanding of the Bible and what it really says not just about homosexuality, but a great number of things. Being truly versed in the Bible requires a great deal of education in ancient history, Greek, Hebrew, and theology. Few clergy have such an education and so fly by the seat of their pants or simply follow erroneous dogma. I think it shocking and sad that someone like Joel Osteen has no formal theological training at all when he's such an effective minister.

In any event, as you're a Christian, you can take great comfort in knowing that Jesus has the greatest love for you as someone who is persecuted unfairly and that Jesus will always love you gay or not. Try attending a church which welcomes gay members and talk to a minister who can explain why the Bible does not condemn homosexuality as it is so often claimed to. Once you learn the truth, it will set you free.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Dear cherfan,

I am so sorry that you are going through these conflicting feelings. I was where you are for so long. I prayed every night and every morning, and secretly EVERY TIME someone else was praying around me, whether it was the dinner table or in Church, Sunday Morning, Sunday Evening, and Wednesday Evening, that God would take these feelings away from. I say all that to hopefully help you understand just how deeply religous, I was raised. I am not a non-believer, an atheist, or anything similar.

It took 40 yrs of self hatred and battling to realize that it IS NOT A CHOICE! God helps you make choices. I didn't choose to be attracted to males. Earlier in my life, I too would have given anything to be straight.

What I chose to do for years, was to hide and try to bury my feelings. What that caused was anguish, and seriously drove me to do things I wouldn't knowingly do.

I'm still struggling with it. I don't have the answers that will help you. I just know the harder you fight it instead of accepting and trying to understand it, the worse you will feel about yourself. Self hatred is a terrible thing to live with and will take years to overcome.

You ARE a good person. You have same sex feelings that are natural and won't go away. PLease, please talk to someone. Even if it's someone here. There are many caring folks who have been through this. I will be forever grateful to Lex.

And to those who think you're going to help with "God, religion" church, etc. is BS", you absolutely are not.

cherfan1

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
CountryGuy,

I Thank You for your support. I am realizing I probably should've never opened this thread. I didn't start it for people to come and contradict everything I believe in, I just wanted to know if someone else was out there that is dealing with or dealt with the same feelings I am going through.

And just for the record, I don't hate myself. I am a VERY joyful person, gay or not. I thank the Lord for my joy and loving every day. This sexuality is just something, I've many times, wanted out of my life. I DO believe the Bible has all the answers I need. I am just struggling to get back into the groove of reading it daily, I stopped over the summer and haven't started back up yet.

I've looked for ways to try and delete this thread, if anyone knows how lemme know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, I think everyone got the wrong idea of what I was trying to accomplish, and now this is just a bash fest.

CountryGuy,

I Thank You for your support. I am realizing I probably should've never opened this thread. I didn't start it for people to come and contradict everything I believe in, I just wanted to know if someone else was out there that is dealing with or dealt with the same feelings I am going through.

And just for the record, I don't hate myself. I am a VERY joyful person, gay or not. I thank the Lord for my joy and loving every day. This sexuality is just something, I've many times, wanted out of my life. I DO believe the Bible has all the answers I need. I am just struggling to get back into the groove of reading it daily, I stopped over the summer and haven't started back up yet.

I've looked for ways to try and delete this thread, if anyone knows how lemme know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, I think everyone got the wrong idea of what I was trying to accomplish, and now this is just a bash fest.

"Bash fest?" Trust me. If this were a bash fest, the folks here are capable of some phenomenal bashing. What we're trying to do is give you support and do so by helping you find a way to accept your sexuality. If you only want misery for company then this isn't a good place to find it. Many people here are willing to help you help yourself. LPSG is full of some wonderful and amazing people who are enormously giving of themselves. There are also some phenomenally smart people here too so give yourself, and us, a break and be open to what people say. You may disagree with what they say, but you owe it to yourself to at least consider the opinions of others.

D

deleted213967

"Bash fest?" Trust me. If this were a bash fest, the folks here are capable of some phenomenal bashing.

The poor thing included you as a "basher", you bad bad Jason.

He must have been high on self-pity.
:rolleyes:

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cherfan1 - Yes you are correct! God does not determine who you are attracted to.

I feel , however, She is annoyed with your Cher Bono fetish.

I am 100% straight BUT I have a large collection of Judy Garland recordings. and an irresistable compulsion to re-arrange the furniture in my son's pied a terre. Go figure.

I believe Jason els has provided well thought out compassionate counsel to you.

Gay people, the ones I interface with, for the most part have an awesome variety of talents. Also I believe they have a bigger dick on average then the straighties. This is very desirable.

God loves you but as I said She doesn't decide who you are attracted to. This was determined when you popped out of your ma. I personally don't think gayosity is an environmental construct. This male 4 month old puss (my avatar) belongs to my No. 1 son. HE REFUSES TO PLAY with my 6 lady cats, he just fusses and acts so nelly.

Lose Cher.

Last edited:

The poor thing included you as a "basher", you bad bad Jason.

He must have been high on self-pity.
:rolleyes:

I think he should take the advice of Cher herself in Jack La Lanne Commercial II 0:10-14, "You know the hardest part? Is getting started."

She's right. The road to doing the impossible is steepest at the beginning. If Cher can do it then so can anyone else. This is the gospel according to Cher.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
please give up Cher, for God's sake!
Lose Cher.
I think everyone got the wrong idea of what I was trying to accomplish, and now this is just a bash fest.
Hmmmm - this is looking more and more like a bash-Cher thread to me. Don't straight people realize how inherently miserable we gay people are? Please at least leave us the joy of this woman whom we all soooo idolize.

No - we haven't gotten the wrong idea of what You want to accomplish. There are certain to be some like minds here who will relate to Your situation. But many will have the opposite view. This is a very opinionated forum. Opinions will be offered. It's to be expected. It all falls under the category of discussion...

Hmmmm - this is looking more and more like a bash-Cher thread to me. Don't straight people realize how inherently miserable we gay people are? Please at least leave us the joy of this woman whom we all soooo idolize.

No - we haven't gotten the wrong idea of what You want to accomplish. There are certain to be some like minds here who will relate to Your situation. But many will have the opposite view. This is a very opinionated forum. Opinions will be offered. It's to be expected. It all falls under the category of discussion...

FWIW, I was very serious about the Cher statement even if it was presented a bit tongue-in-cheek. Want to know why I remembered that line from her 22 year old commercial? It's because I used that line when I started working out at a gym and found it so grueling and painful that I HATED it. But I also knew that Cher was an honest person and that somehow, she was right. Whenever I doubted myself or tried to talk myself out of going to the gym for whatever half-assed reason I could think of, I recalled that line and figured, "if Cher can do it then so can I," and she was right. It got easier and I actually began to look forward to it.

Since then I've remembered that line every time I start on something that seems impossible. It's served me well. I realize that may sound silly, but it's true.

cherfan1

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just to let ya'll know, I started liking Cher LONG before I knew of her political standings, her daughter Chastity, and her LARGE number of gay followers. That was in middle school, and I didn't even know who I was in middle school. I'm not completely gaga over Cher like I used to be. I used to wanna marry the woman, now I'm just listening to the music, the woman has had some GOOD music, what a survivor! I have kept the username since it was a general one I used that I could remember; so just 'cuz it says 'cherfan' doesn't mean I'm a die-hard, limp-wristed, drooling fan, I just picked it so I could remember it, that's all.