Woodstock

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Forty fucking years ago today. :eek:

And no! I wasn't there :rolleyes:

But I recall my brother talking about it.

It was an incredible time the late 60s and early 70s when people were truly commited to global peace and the anti-war movement was in full swing.

And in retrospect it was a kinder time too. People you approached you'd automatically assume had decency and fairplay as their primary directives.

The world is very different now.

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Could there possibly be anything worse then mud stained, half naked hippies? The whole thing...this past week I'm sick of hearing about Woodstock. They clips from the film make me cringe.

Could there possibly be anything worse then mud stained, half naked hippies? The whole thing...this past week I'm sick of hearing about Woodstock. They clips from the film make me cringe.

Evidently.

And oh dear lord in heaven am I in the middle of it!! Forget the highways this weekend; they're jammed. It's been nothing but a parade of aging hippies looking to relive their youth. All the gas stations jacked their prices by at least 10 cents a gallon and every two bit junk vendor is here. The local paper has done nothing but report about who is there complete with live blogging. Oh joy.

If you want to keep the spirit of Woodstock alive, you're not going to do it up here. Every single event since the original has been a shade dug-up and made to perform when it would much rather be resting in peace. The phantom's revenge is disappointment. Nobody ever finds any Woodstock revival to be as wonderful or fulfilling as the original. Rather than blow dollars on plastic crap and reprinted posters, these folks should stay home, remember fondly, and then live that ideal in everyday life. It would be far more satisfying than trudging back up to Bethel only to leave tired, sore, poorer, and involuntarily comparing what you just experienced to your memories of 40 years ago.

And in the opposite direction there's the damned Renaissance Faire ($40 easy).

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Did they charge extra for the walkers and crutches? Maybe some hippies used S&H green Stamps for them. Ewwwwwww hippies..............

Wow bud, we are dating ourselves. Do S&H green stamps still exist? I remember my mom saving them and putting them into a book. I suppose she got something for them, but don't remember what.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And in retrospect it was a kinder time too. People you approached you'd automatically assume had decency and fairplay as their primary directives.

The world is very different now.

oh please...I would say that Sharon Tate et. al might disagree about it being a kinder time :rolleyes:

everyone was sweet and decent and "fairplay" was their primary directives?

that must be why the organizers and all the musicians were so concerned with haggling over pay and such. decency my ass...it was business for the organizers and "artists"

there was petty crime, overdosing, profiteering on "electric Kool-Aid"

decency and fairplay as the prime directives?

Profit was the original motive funnily enough, they advertised in the Wall Street Journal...that bastion of hippie ideals :rolleyes:

“Young men with unlimited capital looking for interesting, legitimate investment opportunities and business propositions.”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_Festival#cite_note-spitz-babylon-3

that was the original ad

it only became "free" after the organizers were overwhelmed by demand...there was nothing idealogical about its roots... it was about making money.

Joni Mitchell was supposed to show up, but agreed with her manager that going on the Dick cavett Show was more imporant. That is idealism.

at the end of the day, it was nothing more than a lot of people, listening to some very good music in the mud for three days, and doing tons of drugs, pretending it was something more. it was a glorified, mass hippy camping trip, with a great soundtrack.

"The world is very different now"?

where do you come up with this shit, stronzo?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Flashy said:
where do you come up with this shit stronzo?

Where? I'll tell you.

I lived it.

We all have our perspective. But yours is not from hands-on experience. You listen to drivel. But you listen to it selectively and by choice.

Your view of those times is mistaken Flashy. We're all "just expressing our opinion" and I recall that time. You mention Sharon Tate. I was in Europe that year so heard about all these things second-hand from my relatives at home. We also landed on the moon too during that summer.

There are nutballs in every era. Heard of the unabomber? That wasn't exactly Woodstock.

How about Timothy McVeigh? Chappaquiddick occurred too. I read the word "Chappaquiddick" on the cover of the Paris Match and was incredulous that I was reading that word on the streets of Paris. That was NOT a summer to be away on the Continent. I heard about it all second-hand. I had a crew cut and wore Oxford shirts. I was my dad's perfect son (or so he imagined). Only later did I come to a full understanding that the nation was going through growing pains. Pity we didn't learn more from those times.

Heard of the Cyclical Theory of History. You're a perfect example. I suggest you educate yourself.

All of it was a reaction to the Kennedy and Martin Luther King murders. We'd simply had enough of "the man" because he lied.

You weren't even a twinkle in your father's eye in 1969 so you know nothing but right-wing heresay.

You'll also recall we gay folks finally were able to make a stand and gain long-overdue recognition Flashy. Can anyone say "Stonewall"??

Keep perspective as your primary focus when you post.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

** (I suspect you like the music and the weed that came out of those times however....:rolleyes:) Well that music you revere came from those drugs you cite. Get real.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I lived it.

LOL...no you didn't you weren't even at woodstock....

oh, you meant the 60s? yes it was all fair play and decency from folks. :rolleyes:

We all have our perspective. But I suspect yours is not from hands-on experience.
no it is not, but i would rather not have the hands on experience as oppsoed to being completely delusional about what i had experienced

Your view of those times is mistaken in my view Flashy. We're all "just expressing our opinion" and I recall that time.
and your recollection is rather silly. Crime, subterfuge, dirty dealing, deception, meanness, cruelty, duplicity, lying, dishonesty, were not these random occurrences that came into being in the post-60s era.

maybe you simply did not notice them because there was not wall-to-wall media.

You mention Sharon Tate. I was Europe that year. We also landed on the moon too during that summer. There are nutballs in every era. Chappaquiddick occurred too. That was NOT a summer to be away on the Continent. I heard about it all second-hand. I had a crew cut and wore Oxford shirts.
so then it is true. Landing on the moon had nothing to do with your absurd contention about how wonderful and fair things were. There were murders, crime, duplicity, cruelty etc. it was not some absurd fairytale, and your haircut and what you wore does not change that.

You weren't even an twinkle in your father's eye in 1969 so you know nothing but right-wing heresay.
LOL...leave it to you to go right off topic...

1. I do not listen to the right wing any more than the left wing hearsay anymore than that of the left.

and i am just curious, what exactly does the right wing view of the 60s have to do with the absolute fact that humans have always been deceptive, cruel, vicious and dishonest in every era?

that is not hearsay, nor is it political...that is fact.

one does not need the right wing to tell you there was nastiness, cruelty, crime, murder, intolerance, deceit etc. in the sixties...only you could make this political.

it was a fact of life and has been that way ever since humans began building societies.

only you could interject the right wing into a study of human behavior and bring politics into a thread, immediately, when politics have nothing to do with it.

cue: Goerge W. Bush being brought in to the conversation for some absurd reason.

We all know, crime and dishonesty did not occure in the 60s, since it ewas the Age of Aquarius.

You'll also recall we gay folks finally were able to make a stand and gain long-overdue recognition Flashy. Can anyone say "Stonewall"??
congratulations. how does that change the fact that your absurd contention about fair dealing and lack of deception does not hold water when held up under even the slightest of examinations.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
don't shit on a plate and call it art.

crime in the USA in 1969

Population

Total Crimes

Violent

Property

Murder

Forcible Rape

Robbery

Aggravated Assault

Burglary

Larceny Theft

Vehicle Theft

How about the types of things that went unreported because of stigma back in those good old days?

Child Molestation?
Child Abuse?
Spousal Abuse?
Sexual Harrassment?
Date Rape?
Emotional Abuse?

and regular stuff, such as lying, adultery, cheating, prejudice, bullying, addiction, and a raft of other things...

ah yes, but as you said:

"And in retrospect it was a kinder time too. People you approached you'd automatically assume had decency and fairplay as their primary directives.

The world is very different now
"

you have a unique gift of spinning off on tangents faster than anyone on this board, especially when confronted with the fallacy of your own rather disturbed and erroneous thought process.

** (I suspect you like the music and the weed that came out of those times however....:rolleyes:) Well that music you revere came from those drugs you cite. Get real.

i see, so weed was invented in the 60s by the counterculture?

fascinating...and here i thought it was a plant that grew on the earth. Little did i know, marijuana was created by the counterculture.

I may have to go and rent Reefer Madness, which was made in 1936, just to make sure that weed came out of the 1960s, and not from the earth, millions of years ago.

this is truly one of your more idiotic ramblings...and that says quite a lot.

and actually, that music, came from the artists, not from the weed...and if it came from the weed, which is older than the sixties, than it came from a plant, not a chronological period.

nice try.

i cannot wait for Gillette and Northland and others to come in and laugh at you as well. You certainly lay out the ammunition for us rather easily.

Last edited:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In spite of Flashy's irrelevant diatribe. You weren't born. I was alive.

My accounts are firsthand.

vince said:
A crew cut and Oxford shirts in 1969?? :eek:

Yes. Especially the Oxford. Think I had a bang of blond hair at that time actually. Jeans weren't allowed either. Chinos for casual wear. It was only when I rebelled against the "man" that I began to see the absurdity of a false Ozzie and Harriet society.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In spite of Flashy's irrelevant diatribe. You weren't born. I was alive.

and apparently, just as insane as you are now.

My accounts are firsthand.

LOL...you weren't at woodstock...so how are your "accounts" firsthand?

I quote from your original post:

"And no! I wasn't there :rolleyes:
But I recall my brother talking about it.
"

which would mean your accounts are secondhand...LOL

Yes. Especially the Oxford. Think I had a bang of blond hair at that time actually. Jeans weren't allowed either. Chinos for casual wear.

fascinating

It was only when I rebelled against the "man" that I began to see the absurdity of a false Ozzie and Harriet society.

oooooohhhhh LOL...you are so adept at tripping yourself up Stronzo that it makes me hysterically amused.

you stated in your original post that

"People you approached you'd automatically assume had decency and fairplay as their primary directives.
"

now, if the society you were a part of was false, how could you automatically assume that the people you interacted with had "decency and fairplay as their primary directives"?

LOL

you are such a clown stronzo...but please continue...it is always amusing for the rest of us to watch you go down in flames...usually precipitated by you, launching off a flare gun containing your own total silliness inside the cockpit of your own delusional aircraft, causing you to plummet from the heights of near-silliness, back down to the depths of absurdity...where you crash and reside happily, in thousands of ridiculous little pieces.

kudos to you

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
and apparently, just as insane as you are now.

LOL...you weren't at woodstock...so how are your "accounts" firsthand?

I quote from your original post:

"And no! I wasn't there :rolleyes:
But I recall my brother talking about it. "

which would mean your accounts are secondhand...LOL

fascinating

Just as he knows about Oprah from his 2 black neighbors talking about her. :biggrin1: Guess Stonz is easily influenced ?