Woodstock

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That was mean spirited!

No. It was snide. There's a marked difference.

I almost drowned in a pool in (of all times) the summer of 1969 and now avoid pools. It was in July about the time of the moon landing.

Dog paddle. Indeed! (cue self-rightous indignation music)

I'm very glad you survived. I'm sure you have a legion of friends who share my sentiments.

As to Woodstock, it still seems like an un-reality. The magnitude (#of attendees) of it alone is hard to grasp.

That's the point I've been trying to make. I'm glad you understand.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ultimately i am not impressed that 500,000 people gathered for three days to listen to music for free.

big deal...hindus gather to bathe in the Ganges in much more massive numbers for the Kumbh Mela.

5 million people showed up for one day of the ritual *ALONE*

-

15 million people showed up in India for the funeral of Annadurai in 1969

12 million people showed up for Ayatollah Khomeini's funeral

hell 3 million people showed up to celebrate the Red Sox winning the world series.

hell even 1.2 million people attended the inauguration of Lyndon Johnson in 1965

all of these were less than a day long occurence.

bunch of dirty hippies in the mud for three days listening to good music (for free) and doing loads of drugs...wow...amazing.

now a majority of those people are driving BMW's, yakking away on their cell phones, listening to Dylan on their IPOD with special holder, and doing E*Trade to boost their portfolios.

revolution indeed.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Thanks for leading the thing home b.c. God were we young! And the world was our oyster...The activisim (and naivité) of those like Joan Baez and Jane Fonda was the rule rather than the exception...

Yes, true. By today's (somewhat jaded) standards, and in hindsight of what we've come to know and where we've come to be, some would say an almost foolish naivite. There were less grey areas about issues, or so it seemed.

I think (again, just my opinion) the difference was brought about by the Great Communicator. No, not Reagan. He was an asshole. But an excellent bullshitter.

I'm speaking of the internet and associated changes in electronics. Just think, back then, to talk on the phone one had to go to a wired device with a receiver (ear and mouthpiece) attached by another wire. NO wireless, no cellphones, no INTERNET, NO personal computers...

In other threads they speak of changes relating to shower etiquette, nudity, self consciousness, etc. I think the change is because everyone has access to literally anything... at the click of a mouse. They don't even need to find someone's hidden magazine.... CLICK. Everything and anything available to see.

And with that increased availability there is an increased awareness of all of those little grey areas that we, as youths never even considered.

Almost makes one feel sorry for 'em.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Points all taken b.c.

But I'd never feel sorry for individuals who choose to remain ignorant. I think there's one making some buzzing noise just recently on this thread actually...

Tedium itself.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Points all taken b.c.

But I'd never feel sorry for individuals who choose to remain ignorant. I think there's one making some buzzing noise just recently on this thread actually...

Tedium itself.

...Wasn't referring to any particular individuals in this group, Stronz. I've already mentally "wiped them" from any level of relevance.

I was speaking of the environment kids in general have to grow up in.

They have so much more access and outlets, but in various ways are also at greater risk because of it. That, in part, is one reason why something of the (social) significance of Woodstock is unlikely to occur again anytime soon.

My two cents.

Last edited: