Words that blacks commonly mispronounce

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

ask - "ax"
    Burberry - pronounced bur-bur-ree, not bur-berry
    laundromat - there is no "y" in it!
    "sammich" instead of sandwich.

And the # one answer according to our survey is......
    nigger.

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Is there some point here that I am missing or just more shit stirring?

The categorization question at least can develop into thoughtful conversation.
    Opening this floodgate will bring ripe opportunities for people to begin offending and flaming each other, resulting in further division.

Its reads like a rejected 3 minute tirade from one of Chris Rock's specials. That being said, if your intention is to be a stir-disturber in the Black Comedian genre, this thread is perfectly acceptable, even in its comedic failure.

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

"ax" for "ask" is pure Bronx NY.

Barbourville, KY is pronounced by residents as "Burvul" I shit you not. Sounds like someone throwing up.

People from the south have different dialectical differences than people from the north, east coast differs from west.

What's YOUR fucking point? People that spend time together pick up each other's speech patterns, it ain't a black/white thing. You and Chimera need to go skipping off into the sunset.

4. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Funny how when there's a thread about something that might be conceived as negative about black people on this board, there is a big fucking hoopla and this and that. Of course, when it comes to making fun of white people, with the clear and specific purpose of laughing at white people, it's all in good fun.

Madame Zora, most black people I know say "ax," including ones from Houston. Ax Chimera.

Lex, you don't have to click my threads. Seriously, what the fuck is your problem?

5. Onslow

Gold Member

Oh good Lord I must be black Who knew?

I have called it a sammich since I was a child
    I used to live in a town where I went to the laundrYmat
    and until you mentioned it--not that I had axed about it--I thought it was bur-BERRY.

I guess maybes I juss aint az brite as you..

I actually find this attempt of yours at humor to be rather low, but go ahead and have it Doc. Maybe tomorrow we can get to another group of people who you think you are better than.

(and where exactly is this survey which you mentioned)

6. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Thanks for making it official, "Onslow." I hate to think what would've happened if "Onslow" didn't dismiss it as a failed attempt at humor.

I'm guilty of all the above, by the way.

7. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

It might have been more thoughtful and compelling to simply air your grievances about black comedians making fun of white people. I find it hard to believe that some part of you really didn't want to incense the hell out of other people -- black and white and green and purple, all -- by using some pretty poor word choices. It certainly wasn't comfortable reading the word "nigger" on here, for sure.

But don't look at me. I can't defend the comedians and I certainly can't undo your thinking. Still, this reminds me of times I've questioned Mark on his free speech policy around here. This post seems blatantly hurtful and doesn't have much merit to include the language or the slant like it has.

8. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I respect that. You can delete it if you wish.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

To quote YOU: What's it to you?

Doc, I just refuse to call you out privately like Naughty does via PM. If I have an issue or concern with something you say or do and want to question it, I will do so here as I am a direct person like that. I hope you can understand. You make these statements (why can't we make fun of blakc people, blah blah blah) yet in the Kanye West thread where some hurtfully ignorant things are being said about black citizens being too stupid to leave New Orleans (as opposed to white citizens), the best you can offer is "Kanye West is a tool"? You'll forgive me for being more than a little bit disappointed. And before you ask, I only saw the thread because Naughty directed my attention there to read something she wrote in response to something I wrote in another thread. I don't read the enitre board.

Adding some emoticons would have helped the "humor" tremendously (again, if that was your intention). We can make fun of each other--but nothing in your post really conveyed your wanting to be funny.

<!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick
    @Sep 27 2005, 09:57 AM
    I respect that. You can delete it if you wish.
    [post=346877]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]

I agree with Dee (and could have said it more eloquently, I guess) and am glad that you can respect those of us who see this thread as more hurtful than helpful.

10. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I&#39;m not sure what you&#39;re talking about.

11. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

No matter. If that is the only sticking point to my response, it&#39;s of little consequence.

12. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I say sammich, I never knew it was the "black way to say it." I just think it&#39;s cute. And I, too thought it was "bur-BERRY"

13. zaphod

zaphod New Member

Albums:
    I must be REALLY white, I have never heard of the term "burberry".

14. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Perhaps because it&#39;s the only point you pulled out of your ass. Maybe she can clarify.

I agree. Your reply was much better.

Actually, I was talking about Kanye&#39;s behavior being pathetic. Trying to play the blame game when everyone around him was focused on actually helping. Anyone defending his grotesque actions is a moron that really doesn&#39;t give a fuck about the tragedy and prefers the sensationalism of buffoonery.

15. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Alright, Lex, let&#39;s start a thread discussing where these stereotypes originate and how Massa didn&#39;t proper inculcate his slaves into much education including language and how this early aspect of black culture in America manifested and developed the stereotype that has persisted today, as evidenced by this thread. I don&#39;t think many would want to talk about that as much.

But I was just playing either way.

Coupon is not Q-pon it&#39;s koopon.

But really though, why is it that blacks always say "knowhatimsaying" three times in a sentence. Before it was just as a period, "knowwhatimsayin" but often people will us it as a comma between thoughts "knowwhatimsayin." I sometimes get frustrated knowwhatimsayin" and want to scream out "YES MUHFUCKA IF YOU WOULD JUST STOP ASKING&#33;" I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve seen poor white people do this, it seems exclusive to the black community even in with highly educated. Is it based on oral tradition? Elaborate.

16. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I bet she can.

Wait, are you calling ME out for not responding after I initially called you out for not responding on issues of race and class? Pot. Kettle. Black. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

FWIW (and not that I owe you of all people any explanation) --I told Naughty I wasn&#39;t touching that thread because (1) she was already attempting to address the ignorance therein and, (2) I would just be jumping in to be a smart ass since it is not a part of the board I normally read and respond to (and so many others already have THAT Oscar-winning performance down much better than I ever could).

<!--QuoteBegin-Dr Dilznick

But I was just playing either way.[/quote]

And to that all I can say is that your intention did not come across well in print. Take that for what it&#39;s worth (or not).

18. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I bet she can.
    [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m not sure if she would appreciate being dragged into this, but you do whatever you have to.

Great logic there. You called me out on something you also did/didn&#39;t do -- a classic example of the pot (you) calling the kettle (me) black. Yes, I called you out on that. So? It doesn&#39;t work the other way around. Your bullshit excuses won&#39;t change that fact. Sorry.

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Rest assured: It&#39;s on my To-Do List to draft and send you the memo stating when I will begin highly regarding your opinions of my actions and posts.

Hold your breath.

20. Onslow

Gold Member

have you been an idiot your entire life or is this a more recently acquired situation due to your substantial need to be the center of attention?

Let&#39;s put it this way, I found your post to be disgraceful no matter how you now want to dress it up and reframe it. Your comments elsewhere in this thread make quite clear what your intentions were, and they were not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.