Work Out Routines (nutrition/gym)

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by audiilike, Jul 8, 2011.

1. audiilike

audiilike Member

I recently got back to they gym on a regular basis, after a long long long hiatus. Anyway, when I used to work out before, I didn't know anyhting more than lifting weights. And even that I did poorly.

So my question is this; For those of you who work out on a regular basis (3-4 timer per week) what and how much supplements do you take, protein, nitrus oxide powders, creatine, l-arginine etc? and what have you noticed since you started taking your chosen supplements vs. when you weren't taking anything? I do eat well, I try to limit sugars, and fats, so my diet is good.

Also, when do you switch up your workout routine so you can prevent the dreaded plateau, and how much of a change do you have to make inorder to prevent it.

Thanks!

2. wildmann86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i take whey protein. you have a good idea on your diet. stay away from soda's and junk food. it might also be a good idea to hire a personal trainer, just to show you the ropes

3. open501s

open501s Member

I do a small protein drink before and a larger one after. The large one I drink half before my shower and the other half after.

4. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    This. I'm in MUCH better shape than I am in my pics right now. I hired a PT who showed me A LOT. The only supplements I take on a regular basis is a simple, low calorie low sugar protein powder. I try to stay away from sodium as much as possible- and stick to non processed foods. I do not eat dairy products- except for feta cheese. Lots of lean protein like chicken and fish. red meats are ok as long as it has a low fat percentage. Google "paleo diet." That diet, plus short bursts of high intensity exercise using mainly your own body weight. It's the most natural of the workout routines- something akin to what we would be doing if were still cavemen. But it just depends on what your personal workout goals are. Mine are to be lean and in general great shape- not to become big and bulky. I'd recommend hiring a personal trainer- most gyms have packages of 5 or so sessions for a decent price.

5. Blorkin

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    When I used to go to the gym I would do a whey protein drink after the workout and a small one during. Also I take a multivitamin every day.

6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a whey protein shake after my morning workout, or in any case after breakfast, and usually a second one in the afternoon. I once made noticeable gains in strength when I was taking a certain supplement whose name I forget, but it went off the market. None of the other products that I have tried have made any difference. I have tried creatine several times, including various fancy mixes of creatine with stuff that is supposed to improve one's utilization of it, but I have never noticed the slightest benefit from it. My advice is to stick to protein powders, or, if you are really skinny (as I used to be), weight gainers.

7. SCSea

SCSea Member

40:30:30 for me, tracked with software. I make sure that I get 5 servings of fatty non-fried fish a week for Omega-3, and I take fish oil.

I use ActivTrax software to manage the food journal, cardio and lifting. I tell it my goals (gain strength, 500 calorie/day deficit) and some baseline strength numbers/measurements, and it calculates how often I'm hitting the gym, and breaks up the workouts and progresses the weight as I gain strength. Autopilot. I totally see results.

8. King_ding_a_ling

King_ding_a_ling New Member

Albums:
    Here is my basis of expertise: I am the Physical Fitness Leader for my Squadron. When I got to the Squadron about 2 months ago people were OK but not the level I demand of the people I work with. I asked the people in charge to let me lead the fitness program and they agreed.

So I'll tell you what I have had them do, then I'll let you know how they've improved in 2 months, and then I'll close with what my diet is.

When I first led PT (Physical Training) I had the squadron doing a specific type of workout from a specific site. Legal issues do not allow me to say I teach other people how to do their workouts. However I will give you a website, crossfit.com, to see what kind of workout I enjoy doing. The squadron did well on my modified workouts at 20 minutes a piece 3 times a week.

After two months of training I now have them doing 25 minutes moderate workouts. No one cries off or takes unnecessary rests. I just had a person take a PT test, he improved 8 points, doing the best in his military career. Here is the workout I had them do last in a normal sized basketball court:

20 Butterfly sit-ups
    Leapfrog Burpees longways across the gym
    20 back extensions
    Walking Lunges back
    Repeat as many times as possible in 25 minutes

For diet I keep track of my intake loosely. I generally eat 2000 calories one day then 1800 the next. I eat next to no bread, maybe a bagel every 3rd day or so. High protein intake 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kg of weight. This works for me because of my body type. I gain weight and muscle evenly and wear it well so I don't worry too badly about image.

On a side note: I do not own a car, so I will but about 6 miles on a normal day then 40-50 miles each weekend on top of my normal workouts. I also do a heavy Kettlebell workout 2-3 times a week.

If you have any further questions about any of the above feel free to ask :)

9. King_ding_a_ling

Albums:
    And something I forgot to mention, sorry. I could Edit my last post but.... W/e.

Don't forget that your strength is not directly tied to how much you can squat, or bench press. I know guys who can bench press much more than me, but cannot lift as much from the floor to above their head. If you want to have big arms or some such body part, then by all means isolate. If you are looking for strength you can use and prevents sports injuries, work your core every day you workout. and work it until it is SORE.

I can Clean and Press 230lbs and weigh about 180.

10. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^Good advice! I myself am trying to go for the "shredded", not bulky look. No bread or dairy, but high amounts of spinach, chicken, extra lean beef, fish, fruits, veggies, olive oil, feta, etc. I think I might try that workout actually. My trainder usually has me doing burpees, but with a pushup before I jump up. Plus interval running- perhaps .25 miles of really fast running, followed by a stop and more workouts.

11. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a question: what did you mean to write where you put the word "but" in place of a verb? Was it "bike"? Not "run," I hope.

12. audiilike

audiilike Member

Great advice thanks. I've heard the crssfit workouts are supposed to be fantastic, I'll have to check that website and take it from there.

13. sleepiboi

sleepiboi Member

I occasionally try to take protein to supplement my diet, but I'm learning toward not doing it. My protein shake is chocolate milk instead. I just change up my eating habits to watching how much I eat, and what I eat, as well as having my times to splurge.

14. shyyguy123

shyyguy123 Member

15. King_ding_a_ling

Albums:
    Lol! You are correct, it is bike. Thank you for catching that.

16. audiilike

audiilike Member

Just pulled my back sunday moving a dumbell around, I moved in an strange way and pulled it. Sucks! 2 weeks of taking it easy, and I had just gotten in the habit!

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most of the injuries that I have incurred at the gym I got in just that sort of way, not from doing the actual exercises.

18. D_Phishwicke Phluffer

D_Phishwicke Phluffer Account Disabled

if i have gym access then i spend most of my time on the big compound lifts - bench press, squat, dead lift, military press, pulls ups

outside of the gym, swimming, surfing, short runs, all kinds of sit ups and pushups.

nutrition wise no surprises. healthy foods, veggies, chicken, etc. i think everything tastes good with peanut sauce so that's one secret weapon. for supplements, a multivitamin in the morning and a protein shake after the work out - sometimes one in the morning too.

for plateau i'll either switch to a new activity - like just swim for two weeks. or i'll change up the sets/rep. i find going to a 5x5 from a 3x8 helps break through those plateaus.

19. audiilike

audiilike Member

^ Cool thanks, I'll be heading back to the gym tomorrow after 2 weeks of not working out. Hopefully I don't tweek my back again.

20. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I alternate between calisthenics (push-ups, pull-ups, crunches) and core weight lifting (bench press, dead lifts, squats) coupled with cardio and stretching each day.

My diet is pretty basic, lean meats, fruits, vegetables. Rarely any bread/grains. Usually have a protein shake in the morning and after a workout.

As far as leveling out, I usually just switch up on certain exercises, or add more weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted