Working in Dubai

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by goodwood, Nov 20, 2008.

1. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Does anyone here work in Dubai in an ex-pat status?
    Does anyone know of anyone who has and had a good experience?
    I would like to work there in the capacity of marketing/communications/public relations but i am not sure about what sites are good or not good.
    When i was considering moving to Seoul, the agencies i was working with turned out to be really not good so i am unsure of how to proceed about Dubai. If anyone has experience or suggestions, i would welcome them. Thanks.

2. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I've had a number of opps come up to do business in Dubai. I think it's pretty suspect to go it alone. I would get contracted/hired by a company from your country who is established there, and wants to place you there. And not necessarily pay to relocate you, but have a sturdy knowledge of how to segue their human capital. Great town... it's the like you could NEVER imagine... just fucking bizarre, but to build a career path there... you better be the sharpest tool in the shed, and the most shady, as well as ... well, from the Middle East.

$.02

Dubai = Las Vegas on steriods with a rich meth head as a developer and no city planner (x4)... seriously. What an asthetic DISASTER.

3. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I know a few people who have worked in Dubai and Saudi Arabia, in real estate marketing, law, oil and travel. They all enjoyed it very much. Their jobs were secured and contracts finalized before they left. Their contracts were very specific in regards to income, benefits, holidays, etc. One had to leave the country for a month every year. They all lived in the foreigner's compound.

4. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Search for “employment in Dubai + forum” and you will find many leads for what you are looking for like …

employment in dubai + forum - Yahoo! Search Results

The most important thing I can think of mentioning is make sure you thoroughly know the ins and outs, especially the Islamic Law part of their legal system. Start with the State Department …

United Arab Emirates (06/07)

"Only 15-20% of the total population of 4.4 million is U.A.E. citizens. The rest include significant numbers of other Arabs--Palestinians, Egyptians, Jordanians, Yemenis, Omanis--as well as many Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Iranians, Afghans, Filipinos, and west Europeans.' = lots of those that do not like you and you gotta carefully watch where you go, what you do, and what you say.

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    great. thanks for the tips. i have many friends from the middle east am aware of some of the cultural things, but yes - state dept. first to be sure. should anything coe of this i will keep you posted.

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

EXPATS.org.uk - Everything for British Expatriates - recruiters, country info, travel, gifts, shopping, financial, etc.

I know it's the UK website but it should offer a lot of information as we are well established in the Region.

I know quite a few people who do or have worked there. They always go out on pre negotiated contracts - you have to have a sponsor etc etc.

They do seem to enjoy it and make very good tax free money. You need to know your way around the local law and customs, but IBig1 is talking out of his proverbial re Dubai. There is a very strong racial pecking order in business so you need to know which sector you are in and how it works there and who your services would be going to. But I imagine you would not go freelance.

A Brit couple just got sent down for fucking on the beach for four months, not fucking for four months on the beach, but four months in the slammer. You could get into trouble for doing that anywhere, but they were at a big booze binge run by the hotels. You can have a ball there but just be careful you don't do anything dumb as a consequence.

Here's the exact link http://www.expats.org.uk/countryinfo/uae.html

#6 Drifterwood, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Just where exactly do you get off saying this? :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted