Working on Modern Engines

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Today I had set aside 5hrs for a water pump replacement on my car... 5 HOURS!! Just for a damn water pump. Then while I was in there I had to replace a timing chain tensioner. Have any of you had to work on any of these new engines? It's like it's just crammed under the hood. To get to my water pump I had to take off these parts... bumper, radiator, intake manifold, upper intake, valve covers, front side of head, primary and secondary timing chains... thats ridiculous! Just to change belts I have to remove the radiator! I just had to vent.:mad:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:rofl:

Have you ever seen the engine bay of a twin-turbo Z32?

I did the timing belt / water pump / engine seal replacement on mine about two years ago. My first attempt at such a job...took me the better part of a whole weekend, and I swear I invented a whole new language to curse in.

I'm looking another one in the face right now, since my wife's Passat blew its water pump last week. :mad:

I feel your pain, man.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about! Hazelgod, we have to compare languages sometime, I think the one I came up with is more klingon..lol But yea, my water pump is INSIDE the engine. If the seal on mine breaks and lets coolant into the crankcase (as has happened before) it oxidises the oil and makes the rod/main bearings rust therefore completely scrapping almost the whole damn thing.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I guess I am lucky being me.
I have the mechanical abilty to fix engines but most time I choose to play the "helpless female" card and choose not to get grease under my cuticles and chipped nails.

patrick222

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe the new high prices of gasoline will bring the public to their senses . How much does it really take to go 25, 35 and sometimes 45 miles per hour in town. Considering that we burn most of our gasoline waiting at stop signs and red lights , do we really need power and performance ?

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Maybe the new high prices of gasoline will bring the public to their senses . How much does it really take to go 25, 35 and sometimes 45 miles per hour in town. Considering that we burn most of our gasoline waiting at stop signs and red lights , do we really need power and performance ?

You go wash your mouth out with soap!
We need all the power and performance we can get our hot, grubby hands on thanks.

omgiswatdeysay

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Timing chains stretch too....Have fun with that first oil change, gotta take off the skid plate usually for that. What kind of car do you have XGX? I did an evaporator in a Pontiac Aztek a few weeks back and book time for that was 21 hours..so don't feel bad.

Your resident A.S.E Certified mechanic :)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe the new high prices of gasoline will bring the public to their senses. How much does it really take to go 25, 35 and sometimes 45 miles per hour in town. Considering that we burn most of our gasoline waiting at stop signs and red lights , do we really need power and performance ?
:confused: What are you talking about? I live in rural Georgia. It's 23 miles to the nearest Starbuck's and 18.5 of those miles are highway driving. Yes, I do consider Grande Caramel Frappucino's with whipped cream to be a necessity in this hades like heat. :cool:

You go wash your mouth out with soap!
We need all the power and performance we can get our hot, grubby hands on thanks.
QFT! :cool:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Timing chains stretch too....Have fun with that first oil change, gotta take off the skid plate usually for that. What kind of car do you have XGX? I did an evaporator in a Pontiac Aztek a few weeks back and book time for that was 21 hours..so don't feel bad.

Your resident A.S.E Certified mechanic :)

It's a 2004 Dodge Intrepid. I bought it because its HUGE and it gets good gas mileage. My s500 gets about 14mpg, my trep gets about 30. And if you're ASE certified you'll know what the 2.7L DCX engine is. It's a bitch is what it is.

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am lucky generally I have had only body work and some simple mechanical problems that I have been able to do my self, but I find it interesting looking under the hood of a car pre 95 and then a 2005+ model there is absolutely no room inside the hood and everything is in such a way sometimes its just easier to let someone else do the work. I like to learn about what is wrong with my car so ask to be able to talk to who ever is working on my car and find it interesting when I go to a shop and I meet an automotive technician. I figured it was just a PC think and until he said that after he does the tests the mechanic would work on it. I find it odd but it makes sense since he was just doing the diagnostic and that someone who knows how to re-assemble the bits is the one working on it, just feels like more un-knowing hands seem to be hands on with more and more complicated things. It feels like your having a cashier act as a tailer or sales man.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I am lucky generally I have had only body work and some simple mechanical problems that I have been able to do my self, but I find it interesting looking under the hood of a car pre 95 and then a 2005+ model there is absolutely no room inside the hood and everything is in such a way sometimes its just easier to let someone else do the work. I like to learn about what is wrong with my car so ask to be able to talk to who ever is working on my car and find it interesting when I go to a shop and I meet an automotive technician. I figured it was just a PC think and until he said that after he does the tests the mechanic would work on it. I find it odd but it makes sense since he was just doing the diagnostic and that someone who knows how to re-assemble the bits is the one working on it, just feels like more un-knowing hands seem to be hands on with more and more complicated things. It feels like your having a cashier act as a tailer or sales man.

Exactly, no one but me touches my engine bays. I do ALL my work. I don't trust the dealerships or shops. So far I've had no problems except for me making the dumb decision to buy a Chrysler product. So far on my Intrepid I've had to replace the thermostat, timing chain tensioner, water pump, transmission clutch packs (upgraded to high performance kevlar clutches), and power steering rack. The rack and pinion on all of the dodge/chrysler LH series vehicles (intrepid, 300m, LHS, concorde) is put in such a high and odd location that it puts sooo much pressure on all the parts, its a wonder they don't just snap. And don't get me started on engine design, i'll have to start using some of the words that I had to make up to describe it.