working out and size sensitivity

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Raynor Scheiniglans, Jul 18, 2007.

1. D_Raynor Scheiniglans

I've been working out for few months. and it is great excercise and a lot of fun.

But with all that swaggering in the gym, it got me to thinkin about size. Guys in the gym are very much eager to look strong and tough. But in the locker room, they are just as eager to hide what they got when they are changing clothes and being constantly covered with a towel.

You think guys who are really into building their body are more sensitive about their size being seen? Part of the ego of someone committed enough to go the gym nearly every day? Or maybe because i larger more muscular frame makes their junk look smaller and therefore they are more sensitive about it?

what do you guys think. Ever noticed a link?

2. djpeh

djpeh New Member

Albums:
    I think they're afraid some homo will look at their junk and attack them in the shower!!! :rolleyes:

3. vortex22222

vortex22222 New Member

Albums:
    Yes, I think that they are afraid their sexual identity.

4. cocktailweenie

I've noticed a great range of attitudes regarding body shyness at my gym. I assume that those who never use the communal showers are shy, but I could be wrong in individual cases. At the other end are those guys who don't even bother wearing a towel on the way to the showers. It usually takes a few sessions for younger guys to loosen up a bit before they shower facing outward and show their cocks. I think they just want reassurance that they won't get pestered. When they see that every one is cool then it's no big deal for them.

5. D_Raynor Scheiniglans

The attitudes are very different.

As for me, I'm an average guy, not packing anything that anyone would double take at. But I dont have a problem taking off my underwear and wrapping a towel around myself. Or stepping out of the shower nude long enough to grab the towel.

What I've noticed is that guys will go to great lengths to never ever been disrobed at the gym locker room. Struggling to put their underwear on under a towel, or hanging their towel over the curtain, ect.

And it isnt just the younger guys who might not feel confident about themselves. But the guys in their 30s. That is really why I wondered. In a way, it made me think twice about my own few minutes of nudity in the locker room. Perhaps it is off by todays standards.

That, or they got something to hide. LOL. it is kinda fun to imagine that you might be more well hung than a guy who can do a lot more weight than you. LOL>

6. big-strong

big-strong New Member

Albums:
    As a gym rat, I take nudity for granted. I personally enjoy being nude and luckily my gym has an all-male wet area with hot tub, steam, and sauna. Men go from one to the other without cover up or most do. I've been to parts of the world where nudity is the norm such as parts of Northern Europe. Even the female/male co-ed areas ! I can also recall an excellent hotel spa in Hong Kong where all the men were totally nude and stretching in the sauna except for one guy and he was the only European there.

I'm also aware that in some cultures, displaying the naked body is not "done" by men even in an all male setting. Unfortunately, in North America, nudity is erroneously thought to imply sex because the sex organs are on show.

7. dikkiedik

dikkiedik Member

Albums:
    Working out every day and exposing the results is one part of the story.
    Whatever you do, you can't make you're penis bigger. So if you are shy about the size, you hide your penis.
    Locker rooms and showers are for changing clothes and getting a clean body. As long as that is made sexual too, a lot of men will hide their penis.
    If this attitude doesn't change no one will get used to being nude.

8. freesnake54

freesnake54 New Member

Definitely depends on the guy. It's definitely true, though, that there's a feeling of being judged when in a group shower. All men know size is something no one would ever dare to bring up at the gym, but just the thought of being seen or judged kind of scares some people away. Plus, because it is that type of situation where some are open and some like to hide, people don't want to seem out of place or overly open...after all, these are the same guys you're sharing the gym with.

9. Boobalaa

Gold Member

My local fitness club is Club One Alamden, San Jose, CA.. I've been regualrly working out there for the past 7 years, and have been going at various different times during the days and nights. In my opinion, those guys who do not choose to use the showers at the club after they work out do so for various reasons; privacy issues, health issues, time issues.,,but its always the same people..

10. hkwes

hkwes Member

Albums:
    A lot of guys who are into "working out" are consumed by machismo, which often views nudity around other men as homoeroticism in U.S. culture. On the other hand, serious bodybuilders who compete are obviously not affected since they wear teenie tiny thongs to competitions where everyone can see them at their smallest flaccid state.

11. jafar

jafar Member

This kind of conversatism permeates through the entire society in Canada and the US. Very few guys in North America wear bikinis or thongs to swim but they are almost universally worn in Europe and Asia regardless of age and physique. If they like to hide their bodies so much, why change in the changing room at all? Go home and change!

12. dukey

dukey New Member

I'm somewhat moderate in my display, both in the gym and the locker room. Although I prefer to flex in the locker (only if I'm alone).

It's not from lack of adequacy, to be sure. It's part modesty and part courtesy. I don't want to see someone else's sweaty old ballsack, so I don't show my sweaty young one.

That said, I'm certainly not extreme with this view. There's guys in there that won't shower all the way. Maybe they don't have sweat glands in their crotch. Or they really like jock itch.

dukey

13. HERCSURF

HERCSURF New Member

yeah i think there is a lot of factors that go into that...shyness, who is around, etc etc. I played a lot of sports in HS and played college baseball.. so being nude was sort of normal. But even now at the gym if i need to shower there.. I cant say I am ever shy..but there are times ill strip down and throw a towel on and walk to the showers.. and there are days where i will walk naked to the showers.. sorta depends on my mood. There are a couple of creepy ish older guys that tend to leer a lot...and then I am pretty much covering up..

But I have to say for the life of me I dont understand the putting on or taking off of shorts/underwear while the towel is wrapped around you. That is taking things a little but too far on the shyness level... and worse yet.

I dont knwo about you guys anyway..but yeah ill take a peak or something.. but im looking at the dudes body more than his cock anyway.. I mean if the guy has an out of shape bod.. you can be sure Im not looking at his cock.. and if he has a kick ass bod...i dont really care what his cock size is lol

14. Fire Stick

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As has been noted in this and similar threads, there is a wide range of locker room behavior in respect to comfort with nudity that is attributable to many reasons. As one would expect, I believe that most men are somewhere in the middle and do not go out of their way to hide or to show-off their genitals. Nonetheless, based on my own personal experience and observations, I believe that not too many guys with larger-than-average sized dicks are among the bashful ones in the locker room and that most of us derive at least satisfaction from being the one sporting the schlong. Conversely, the guys I know or see who have notably small endowments are indeed more likely to be shy in the locker room. I also have found that many men who have good physiques but who do not have the goods between their legs to complete the image do tend to be sensitive about what they lack or perceive they lack. A guy I know from the gym who belongs to the aforementioned category actually once told me that if he were hung, he would be a lot more at ease in the locker room and would enjoy letting it swing for anyone to see. His tone was teasing and joking, but I do believe he was serious.

15. ThingWithFeathers

ThingWithFeathers Well-Known Member

Albums:
    The serious body builders get so big that it makes their penises look smaller by comparison. But yeah, I think that the guys who are total gym rats and are in there all the time do it in large part to cultivate this bigger-than-you masculine image, so when they're on the small side down below, they hide because their egos won't let them show any shortcoming.

I think being larger definitely helps with my shyness, especially since I'm a really skinny guy who might otherwise be intimidated in there with all the meatheads. But I'm much more interested in showing off to women, so I don't go laze about flaunting my size; I rarely walk to the showers nude.

Draft saved Draft deleted