Working out but not losing weight?

mcbg1

Sexy Member
Media
I decided to start working out in early January to lose some extra weight I gained last year. My routine is doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical every morning and then 15-20 minutes of weights, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

While my body has definitely changed and I fit better in my clothes, I have lost zero pound. I'm a little bit baffled because 2 years ago I lost 50lbs just doing cardio occasionally and watching my diet.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to go back to my old weight of around 175 lbs or less. Currently at 190 lbs.

Thanks!

You may be gaining muscle mass. I in a similar boat. I do 30 min. On the treadmill then hit weights for another 30-60 minutes. I gained ten pounds when I want to loose twenty.

Reactions: Heat and steel33

steel33

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Weight is not a great indicator of change in regards to what you are doing. If you were able to measure your body fat% before and after you would see a change. The only accurate way I know of is by immersion. By your antidotal evidence I would say you're doing great work.

Reactions: Heat

trynagetbig

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First, be sure your diet is straight. Second, be sure you are getting good quality rest at night. Third, do your cardio after your push-ups and whatever else you are doing. It takes a little time before your body goes into actual fat burning mode, doing your cardio after will have you in the mode the entire time. Finally, make your cardio HIIT. If you have anymore questions just pm me. Hope it helps and good luck.

rock26

Loved Member
Media
Losing weight > diet
Gaining weight > diet
Staying alive > diet
Getting stronger > diet
Getting weaker > diet
Diet > diet

There is so much information missing from the OP's post and then the subsequent responses it is perplexing. AnanonymousGuy has the best response although simplistic.

If you weighed 175 and now weigh 190 and you want to lose because you have gained too much fat than diet is your key to success. You have to lift heavy to retain as much muscle mass as you can. It is very difficult to diet and gain weight...make sense? They are condradictory.

Reactions: AnanonymousGuy

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I decided to start working out in early January to lose some extra weight I gained last year. My routine is doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical every morning and then 15-20 minutes of weights, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

While my body has definitely changed and I fit better in my clothes, I have lost zero pound. I'm a little bit baffled because 2 years ago I lost 50lbs just doing cardio occasionally and watching my diet.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to go back to my old weight of around 175 lbs or less. Currently at 190 lbs.

Thanks!
Stop eatting/drinking sugar

moparmike

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dropped 8 pounds then stopped. My muscle mass in increasing and I am fitting better, strpnger, more.stamina, etc. Not stressing about the weight loss. I have always been built stocky and strong. I will never be "slim" if I can just avoid being chubby. Lol.

Reactions: Scrappydoo1

mcbg1

Sexy Member
Media
Over the past week, I changed up my routine a little bit: doing my weight training before cardio in the morning and every other day, I add a cardio session in the evening. Result: I'm now at 185 pounds. I don't know if it's just because my body took a while before going into fat burning mode or what but I'm happy with this so far. 10 more pounds to go!

Reactions: moparmike

JackDoff

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can't out run a bad diet mate.

You're better to train weights first for 40-60mins then do your cardio. No need to go silly just walking on an incline at 5-6mph for 30mins after heavy weights will help. Or try fasted cardio, ie in the morning before you eat anything.

Weights are always the better option imo you will gain muscle which in itself will raise your BMR meaning you use more calories just staying alive. If you just do cardio you'll loose weight but will look like a smaller version of yourself now. I assume you want to look better and more muscular.

Don't worry about the scales muscle weighs heavier than fat go by the mirror.

thickmike6969

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if he is changing based on increasing his muscle mass he might not be eating too much, the goal should not be to lose fat and muscle lol
I have some experience in this. Just saying. If you believe you can build lbs of muscle as fast as you can lose lbs of fat, you are mistaken. Properly dieting, its possible to literally lose a couple of lbs of fat per week. Conversely the body CANNOT build a couple of lbs of muscle per week. useless very powerful anabolics are involved

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I have some experience in this. Just saying. If you believe you can build lbs of muscle as fast as you can lose lbs of fat, you are mistaken. Properly dieting, its possible to literally lose a couple of lbs of fat per week. Conversely the body CANNOT build a couple of lbs of muscle per week. useless very powerful anabolics are involved

it's actualy possible for people new to exercise, it's called newbie gains and it's a well documented phenomena

also when you start physical exercise bone density also increases and your body starts retaining more water for the muscles that are getting used more. so you can gain weight that isn't just muscle, especially as a newb

thickmike6969

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it's actualy possible for people new to exercise, it's called newbie gains and it's a well documented phenomena

also when you start physical exercise bone density also increases and your body starts retaining more water for the muscles that are getting used more. so you can gain weight that isn't just muscle, especially as a newb
I get your point and am fully aware of that. My point is that the body can definitely 100% gain and/or lose bodyfat at a much faster rate than it gain build solid bodymass. 99% of people that have a relatively high bodyfat % and start working out at a gym aren't building lean tissue at such a high rate that its impossible for them to lose any weight. Just being realistic here

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
that's fine but if we look at the additional information of his body shape and size changing because his clothing fits differently we can extrapolate a bit don't you think?

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
From my experience the "number" is just that and a much better indicator is that your clothes are fitting differently. Ironically those stupid charts say that I'm at least 25 lbs. over where I should be (202 lbs. max). There isn't a person (including my doctor) that has met me in person who agrees with the chart... I'm in my 50s and still outrun 20 and 30 year olds up the basketball court every week. Besides playing b-ball, I do elliptical for 1.5 hours 5 days a week and then some core exercises after. I've never touched weights and my girlfriend hounds about this though.