Working out but not losing weight?

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
maybe, but this isn't really a response to his question. he is talking about his actual weight changing not how he looks

The question was why he hasn't lost weight dispite doing more exercise. The answer is diet. More specifically, a lack of caloric deficiency.

Noob gains and recomping is possible but you are doing him a disservice by explaining away his lack of weight loss for this reason because you then are implying he should just keep doing what he is doing.

If he keeps doing what he is doing, he's going to plateau. The reason why most people quit the gym 12 weeks after new years resolution is they think they can train themselves thin which ends up in frustration.

Reactions: N68

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
it's not a disservice if it's the right answer....
if he is undergoing changes then he has given his body sufficient stimulus to trigger change, once the newb gains stop his body will EITHER increase it's mass or decrease it's mass or platue, until that time hits you can't be sure if his diet is the problem or not, in fact you can't even be sure there is a problem.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I decided to start working out in early January to lose some extra weight I gained last year. My routine is doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical every morning and then 15-20 minutes of weights, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

While my body has definitely changed and I fit better in my clothes, I have lost zero pound. I'm a little bit baffled because 2 years ago I lost 50lbs just doing cardio occasionally and watching my diet.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to go back to my old weight of around 175 lbs or less. Currently at 190 lbs.

Thanks!
I'm not even going to bother reading all the fuckery that's going on in this thread... Instead I'm going to ask questions... Why do you want to be 175 lbs or less? What is about 175 pounds that is appealing to you? Is it so you can tell people you weigh less than a number that sounds reasonable to you? Is it because you liked the size of clothing you were in? Is it because of how your body looked at 175 pounds?

mcbg1

Sexy Member
Media
I'm not even going to bother reading all the fuckery that's going on in this thread... Instead I'm going to ask questions... Why do you want to be 175 lbs or less? What is about 175 pounds that is appealing to you? Is it so you can tell people you weigh less than a number that sounds reasonable to you? Is it because you liked the size of clothing you were in? Is it because of how your body looked at 175 pounds?

Hi, I was 175lbs and I like the way I looked and the size of clothing I could wear.

I'm now down to 180lbs. Keeping my routine.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What's right is what works for you, When asked I give this simple advice:

1. Knowledge is power. Use a calorie count app to keep track of you energy intake for a week.

2. Exercise IS critical for many. Try to exercise away 25% of your daily calorie intake. Easy shorthand -- don't eat more for lunch than you burned working out in the morning,

3. Within reason, up protein, lower carbs. Fruit and vegetables are friends.

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I decided to start working out in early January to lose some extra weight I gained last year. My routine is doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical every morning and then 15-20 minutes of weights, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

While my body has definitely changed and I fit better in my clothes, I have lost zero pound. I'm a little bit baffled because 2 years ago I lost 50lbs just doing cardio occasionally and watching my diet.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to go back to my old weight of around 175 lbs or less. Currently at 190 lbs.

Thanks!
Ppl have probably said this but I'm too lazy to read through the thread.

There's no point exercising if you aren't changing what you eat too. You need to cut out the carbs (in moderation is ok) and eat low GI, high protein and high vitiman value foods. Don't eat large portions and make sure to eat something every few hours to keep your metabolism going.

Don't focus on the numbers... if you are noticing a change in your shape then it's working. Muscle is heavier than fat.

temsike

Sexy Member
Media
I've been playing with my diet for the last three weeks. To stay at my ideal weight I eat a high fat low carb diet and exercise 1hr per day six days per week.

On Sunday mornings I'll weigh 188 lb. On Sunday evening I simply eat every crazy carb you can think of. Frosted Flakes, OJ, milk, cake, ice cream etc.

On Monday morning I'll weigh 196 lb.

It takes me a week to lose all that water weight I gain with ONE "carbocide" attempt.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've been playing with my diet for the last three weeks. To stay at my ideal weight I eat a high fat low carb diet and exercise 1hr per day six days per week.

On Sunday mornings I'll weigh 188 lb. On Sunday evening I simply eat every crazy carb you can think of. Frosted Flakes, OJ, milk, cake, ice cream etc.

On Monday morning I'll weigh 196 lb.

It takes me a week to lose all that water weight I gain with ONE "carbocide" attempt.

Well then why do you do it? If you're so set on the number 188... Why not spread your carbocide out over your week and cut your calories by a couple hundred a day until you lose the pounds in fat rather than water?

Reactions: N68 and rtg

getchoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Increase the protein and remember if ur working out that muscle weighs more than fat. Could be building muscle and losing fat so scale doesn't move much. Remember the brain runs on carbs so don't cut them too much...

dirkjesje

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm 59.
My weight is now 84 kg (185 Lb) for 185cm (6'1").

My weight has always since I remember more than 80kg and less than 90kg.

I only go to the gym once a week for 1 hour max.
I walk the dog for an hour when it's not raining or freezing.
But I always take the stairs - even when it's on the 9th floor. ( a little claustrofobia )

So not much exercise for a former semi-pro atletic and I don't gain weight like most of my friends.

Why?
Well my calory intake is never less than 2000 kCal and never more than 3000 kCal.
And that's what counts. Your calory intake.
No soft drinks, practical no alcohol, just thee/cofee/water.
My meat intake is almost nil.

If you eat much, you'll get fat. Even with exercise. Even with no carbs.
You are burning calories even when you sleep, even without lifting 1 finger.
The body must kept on temperature and that cost alot of calories.
You can calculate that for your lenght, weight, age, gender with a calorie calculator.

XXXWolverineXXX

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have found for me the easiest way to eat, workout and train is to eat lots of small meals that are colorful. I also keep workouts simple and 30mins. Stick to push ups, jumping jacks, pull ups and squats. Calisthenics not only build muscle but get your heart rate up. I also train bjj and kickboxing everyday.
I don't know if that helps but I hope it will give you some ideas.
Here is my nutrition breakdown yours will be different since I am bulking(I am 245lbs. Trying to get to 250lbs.)
5,000 cals.
80g. Fat.
400g. Protein.
200g. Carbs.
Daily. IMG_1759.JPG

Reactions: Hieronymous

Jujurice

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
80% nutrition 20% effort/ exercise. if you are still eating high carb & highly processed food you may be hitting a wall. looking into a meal plan with a nutrionist might help you get to the level you are reaching for. I have been grinding away at the gym since May and saw some moderate success, when i switched to a meal plan and started counting macros the weight started coming off more consistently. (I'm down 30 pounds since may) still have 80 or so to go so it'll be a multi year effort! and remember the road to weight loss is sprinkled with pizza so if you fall off the bus one day its not the end of the world. keep it up! keep pushing!

Reactions: rtg

mcbg1

Sexy Member
Media
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm now down to 176lbs and I ate pizza three times this week lol. I'm just making sure to control my portions and exercise enough to offset the extra calories when I treat myself.