Working Out...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Sep 29, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Hi. So recently I've been exercising regularly. Wondering if this is a good 'workout' (lol)

(This is with two weights in each hand..think they're called barbells)

I do 20 'curls' think that's what they're called...
    Then I do 20 overhead lifts
    20 horizontal things
    15 pushing them both out in front of me at the same time (that's hard but seems good)

I do this about 5 times most nights, sometimes I have a day off. Is this a good workout? I think its paying off because I could do one handed pull ups last night (drunken guys trying to show off hehe), even with my left arm. And my mate couldn't and he works out a lot.

BTW the weights are only 10lb each...easy but not too hard, if I put more weights on I can't do very many and I only want to tone up/keep the fat off.

Then there is the problem of my stomach...should I just get a bike and go cycling? I've tried situps but they just don't seem to work.

Anyway have I got a good regime for toning/keeping the flab at bay?

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Horizontal things - that sounds very technical :)

Why not just have a trawl through the net for good exercise programs?

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    With light weights like those, you probably won't hurt yourself, and the exercise is sure to have some benefit. Still, I would recommend learning some of the basics of weight training and taking a more systematic approach. It is useful to know what the exercises are called, and you certainly need to know what movements work which muscles, and how they should be executed. Here are a couple of sources of information that I found through Google:

Weight Training 101 (About.com)

Strength Training Basics (University of Michigan Sports Medicine Advisor)

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Thanks Cal :cool:

Guess I should get something to exercise my legs then...

Why do people need gyms then? Surely its easier and cheaper to exercise at home.

5. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Because I think mine is good. And I did. I have some upper body exercises but my lower body and stomach are suffering. Imagine if I was all toned upstairs and flabby downstairs...lol it would look wrong!

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    If your goal is to keep trim then any exercise that gets your heart rate up for 30 mins daily will help. You might consider adding vigourous walking, jogging or swimming to your weekly routine in order to keep it from become boring. I think that's the biggest demotivating demon so many people face.

Every fitness book I've ever seen is consistent is reporting that spot excercises, such as situps, intended to shed pounds only in a particular body area are bound to fail. That's not to say situps are no help, rather, it means that all-around weight loss is a more realistic goal than spot reduction. Stay on that bike and make miles. I think you'll see results.

Sounds good to me. Don't expect a miracle overnight but with consistency and persistence you'll see results. That's a great feeling.

7. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just to give you some encouragement:

"Follow your dreams. You can achieve your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!!"

Attached Files:

8. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is for me; what you see is "home grown". :wink: I quite enjoy the flexibility of being able to walk to another part of the house and get my workout in whenever it fits my schedule (which can pretty erratic at times). If I had to take the time to drive to the gym, workout, and drive home, it probably wouldn't happen too often.

I'll also agree with SpeedoGuy... results are gradual and it is a great feeling once they come. :smile:

9. IchWill69

IchWill69 New Member

I may only be 19, but I've been involved in gymnastics since I was 8 and working out including weight lifting is a big part of my life.

The things any good workout routine needs to include is cardio, diet, weights, stretching, and sport activity.

Concentrating on just the weights aspect here I would suggest that as a first timer you pay for a session with a trainer. If you are unable to pay for a single session with a trainer a good friend that lifts regularly may be able to help you. Training by yourself is not ideal as a good spotter and motivator is pricelss. Also the most overlooked and yet important aspect of weight training is proper form. WAY too many guys try to lift a lot of weight and do so at the cost of good form.

Also look at your goals...what are you training for? Do you wish to lose weight? Tighten up more or gain mass? What takes priority for you?

So sit down, ask yourself some question about what you want to do, get a body or a trainer, and work out a routine that will work with your schedule and be tailored to your goals.

Good luck.

10. musclebutt2

musclebutt2 New Member

Albums:
    These are important points being made. There is no such thing as spot fat reduction unless you go under the knife. You have to lower your overall body fat % for the abs to pop out. Until they do, continue working your abs in combination with your lower back to keep them strong and toned until the subcutaneous fat layer melts away.

Diet is a KEY ingredient in overall health as well as looking better. In many instances it contributes 80% to a bodybuilder's results. It might be worth your while to hire a good nutritionist as well as a personal trainer; they are not the same thing unless the person has both certifications. Cardio is good, but remember, to loose fat you have to burn off more calories than you consume. No matter how much cardio you do, if you eat more than you burn, you won't loose fat.

11. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Thanks everyone, great advice. Especially SG :cool:

I'm feeling a bit ill tonight...maybe a bit dehydrated. I'll have a rest this weekend and resume my exercise regime on Monday. Thanks.

12. guiltrip

guiltrip New Member

theres some controversy over whether doing curls actually works you out. I'm an advocate of pull ups myself but nobody seems to do those anymore. I've always had a situp and pushup regimine that has kind of failed me, but oh well, if what you're doing works then keep doing it.

13. B_ScaredLittleBoy

I don't really have anywhere to do pull ups...we were doing them on a bus stop shelter on Friday night :redface:

It was fun doing that though...is there some piece of equipment you can buy for doing pull ups on? And I used to do 100 pressups (pushups) a night when I was younger...but now I can't do 10!

The mind is willing but the body is weak...lol.

14. guiltrip

guiltrip New Member

An elementary school would probably have the bars, but yeah they're hard to find. Dont do them in your closet, the thing will break (I've seen people try)

15. sneakyd

sneakyd New Member

Albums:
    The Power Tower ?
    Sorry it's small , not much good at editing , resizing .

Attached Files:

16. musclebutt2

musclebutt2 New Member

Albums:
  17. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    - Learn which exercises work which muscles.
    - Try to work each of the main muscles.
    - Get a friend that is into lifting to help get started.
    - Some sort of cardio exercise will help you lose fat.
    - You need to watch what you eat to lose fat.
    - Drinking alcohol on a regular basis adds a bunch of calories, and is a sure way to get fatter.

18. B_ScaredLittleBoy

19. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, according to calorie-count.com, 64 calories per ounce and a nutritional grade of "F". Imagine that.

Ehh... IMO, that second one looks more than a bit cumbersome. I don't like the idea of my knees dragging the door and I'm guessing they suggest you lock the door so someone doesn't open it and send you falling flat on your ass. lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted