Working while in college?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Fire-3, Feb 19, 2008.

1. B_Fire-3

B_Fire-3 New Member

Anyone ever feel pressure to work while attending school? I just say screw it and use my bank account and credit cards. If I were a psychology major or something, I'd probably have time for both. Otherwise, too stressful.

2. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Work when you can. Graduating without a lot of school debt is a major stress buster. I worked a semester, and went to school the next semester. It was a co-op program through college.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I had to work while in college. PELL grants were nonexistent then and non-sports scholarships only went to left-handed redheads with big noses descended from pickle factory workers with royal blood.

I worked in the College library, in a department store (selling cloth) and in a supermarket as asst. manager to make the money I needed for school.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I work. I go to school. I also have a kid that I raise.

5. snoozan

Gold Member

Leaving school with a mountain of debt sucks. I always worked, and I had one of the most time-intensive majors around. It's also not a bad thing to have some experience with working before you graduate.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes. I felt pressure to eat, pay rent, tuition and buy textbooks.

I don't look back on my college days as being all that fun. They weren't. College was a hardnosed grind of tough academics plus work.

7. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Graduated HS in 1996... Been working full time since, and attending college on the side.
    Took 10 years to get my degree...but im almost done...

Credit cards are a mistake.

Scholorships, and appropriate funding are the way to go.

8. frgman

frgman New Member

Albums:
    working on campus a couple hours per week, but just started
    drawing unemployment
    State footing the bill right now, but it's still kinda rough

9. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Accumulating credit card debt is always a bad idea.

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I hope you get a degree in something that pays a lot... you'll be spending the rest of your life paying off your credit card debts with interest.

11. simcha

Gold Member

I had to work while going to college both times.

When I was going the first time when I was 17-21 years old, I worked summers and I did jobs on and off during the school year.

When I was 32-35 I worked full-time while going to school. I still had to borrow to the max to afford tuition, groceries, rent, transportation, etc. I lived here in the Bay Area. So I ran up those credit cards. By having made a complete career change I was stuck doing a job for $12 an hour while earning experience on the job. So, credit had to kick in for the rest.

It sucks. I'm still paying off and making settlements with my credit card companies. I'll still be paying on my student loans well past my 70th birthday, most likely.

This country doesn't support anyone who wants to get ahead through education. We saddle these people with giant debt and penalize them for being poor and unable to pay for better schools. It's disgusting.

12. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I did both. I recommend it. No fucking crying about debt. Be thankful for it. Keeps you on your toes, and has non-guilty cash in pocket for some fun. I did 18, then 21 units my senior year while president of a social org and VP of a professional organization... I don't think I've been as focused on the big picture/end game ever since, 15 years later in high finance included. Go balls out... earn your keep.

13. JustAsking

Gold Member

I had to work constantly to put myself through college. It turned out to be one of the most formative parts of my career. I lucked out in a way that looks like it was well planned in hindsight, but it wasn't.

I first attended a local branch of a state school to get an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering, and then I got licensed by the FCC to be a broadcast engineer. I went off to seek my fame and fortune in that industry, but after a few years, I decided to go back and get a bachelor's degree in Physics.

While studying Physics, I worked for a professor helping him build some experimental apparatus. The dean of the science department noticed it and asked me if I wanted to earn some money repairing broken research equipment. I went ahead and did that, and loved it because it combined my love for electronics with my newfound interest in Physics.

This work led to more work building experimental stuff for professors and graduate students doing research. I didn't realize at the time that I was building a network of appreciative graduate students who were subsequently going off to other colleges and jobs around the country. After a while I started getting job offers from their recommendations to their employers or their college departments.

So after graduating, I went off to a number of excellent jobs working with scientific instruments in colleges and finally culminating in a 15 year career that ended up in some of the largest companies that did that sort of thing.

All this was happening at the time when minicomputers and then microprocessors were starting to take over the functions that traditionally would be done with lots of electronics. So I embraced that trend and rode it into another career in software development. Being the guy with electronics and physics background, I was very in demand from those companies making sophisticated automated scientific instruments.

That career ended with a job offer to take over a very large software development group in a company that served a different industry. After ten years of that, I was downsized and 4 years ago started my own company which is now at about 42 employees.

My point is that you can never really anticipate the large component of serendipity that goes into building a career. It has as much to do with the relationships and opportunites you run across while in progress, than it does with any kind of up-front planning.

This is the most important lesson of my career. To paraphrase John Lennon, "Careers are what happens while you are planning something else."

14. BJH

BJH Member

You have to work while in college. It's mandatory, unless your parents are paying for all your bills. I have worked all through out college and I graduate at the end of the year. Just learn to suck it up and don't take any more classes than you can handle.

15. simcha

Gold Member

Oh, and you should try some of those blue-collar jobs while in school. They pay better than many of the white-collar jobs do.

I worked for the public works department in my village most of the summers I was in college. I cleaned up roadkill on the side of the road, picked up garbage on the side of highways, posted street signs, dug ditches on the side of roads, whacked weeds on the side of roads, cleaned out swamps, and picked up after our 4th of July parades, concerts, and carnivals.

Also I was a construction laborer for a while. That was the best job. I worked for a concrete contractor. I hauled lumber, nails, 80lb. bags of cement, dug ditches, etc. for $18.50 an hour. That was in 1990. That was an amazing wage, and guess what? It was union. I was a member of the AFLCIO. That protected my job and made it a good wage.

I actually miss working outside these days.

16. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Actually, you can add some virtual wage to the $ 18.50: Athletic club or gym fees that you save.

I put myself through college as a AF/ROTC cadet, with full payment for all four years. That meant paid tuition, fees, books, plus a little amount of extra money on a monthly base for the usual needs. So unfortunately, I can't tell you good stories of working during college as JustAsking or simcha, but it was a hard time, too: regular physical checks, extra classes during my GMC and POC time (General Military and Professional Officer Course), plus the constant struggle to keep my GPA over the line of 2.5.

Draft saved Draft deleted